Shotgun or carbine for Zombie defense?

GunnSmokeer

I used to think that a 12 gauge "riot gun" or "street sweeper" combat shotgun was one of the best possible choices for home defense or to carry when traveling, camping, etc. A defensive weapon for just about any threat from any scenario.

One of the advantages of the shotgun, I thought, was that it threw a pretty wide pattern of pellets and would make hitting the target easier. Especially if you're moving, the "target" is an adversary who is also moving, and he's wielding a weapon against you. (So "accuracy" in real -life is likely to be nowhere near as good as what accuracy you get at the shooting range, punching paper targets).

But, we all know that shotguns don't really open up to give a wide pattern at typical self-defense distances. I've found it's less than 1" of spread per yard to the target. That's from short-barreled cylinder bore guns. No choke.

Some people are advocating the use of a special type of wad that holds the pellets together much longer. Federal invented this and called their version FliteControl. It can shrink 00 buckshot groups from 12" down to 6" at 15 yards.

More and more "combat shotguns" these days are getting fitted with rifle sights, ghost ring peep sights, and red-dot scopes. Just like the military M4 carbines in 5.56 mm wear.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Why choose a shotgun at all?
Why not just choose a rifle or carbine, in a necked-case rifle caliber that shoots a 50-130 grain expanding bullet at 2500-3100 f.p.s.?

A .30 bore rifle has 30% less recoil than a 12 gauge shotgun of the same weight.

A modern paramilitary type rifle or carbine will hold 30 rounds in the magazine, instead of 6-9 in the shotgun.

Refilling the tubular magazine on a shotgun is slow, but mag changes on an AR are super-fast and easy.

An AR carbine can be lighter by about 2 pounds, compared to most 12-gauge combat shotguns.

A rifle or carbine can be shorter, with a 16" barrel as the requirement to stay out of the NFA's reach, while the shotgun has to have at least an 18" barrel to be unregulated.

Is it stopping power?
Is that what makes a shotgun good?

I think that a high-velocity rifle bullet of an expanding / varmint design will have plenty of stopping power, and will create a huge wound cavity that's both deep enough and not too prone to overpenetration. Now FMJ or "ball ammo" would be a bad choice. Let's assume that the rifles or carbines would only be loaded with relatively light and fast-moving expanding bullets.

The effective range of a rifle has to be at least triple that of a shotgun. Shotguns with buckshot are widely regarded as being good to 50 yards, and with slugs and some decent sights or a scope, make that 100 yards. Rifles are good to at least 150 yards with plain iron sights, shooting quickly from the standing position (unsupported). But with a rifle, if you take the time to get into a steady position or use a rest, you can shoot accurately out to at least 300 yards (even in intermediate calibers like the 6.5mm or 6.8mm, or the .300 Blackout (supersonic). The smoothbore shotgun just isn't going to get the job done at more than about 125 yards, even if you use slugs and take your time to aim well from a steady rest.

What do y'all think?

Lilly001

I used to think that a 12 gauge "riot gun" or "street sweeper" combat shotgun was one of the best possible choices for home defense or to carry when traveling, camping, etc. A defensive weapon for just about any threat from any scenario.

One of the advantages of the shotgun, I thought, was that it threw a pretty wide pattern of pellets and would make hitting the target easier. Especially if you're moving, the "target" is an adversary who is also moving, and he's wielding a weapon against you. (So "accuracy" in real -life is likely to be nowhere near as good as what accuracy you get at the shooting range, punching paper targets).

But, we all know that shotguns don't really open up to give a wide pattern at typical self-defense distances. I've found it's less than 1" of spread per yard to the target. That's from short-barreled cylinder bore guns. No choke.

Some people are advocating the use of a special type of wad that holds the pellets together much longer. Federal invented this and called their version FliteControl. It can shrink 00 buckshot groups from 12" down to 6" at 15 yards.

More and more "combat shotguns" these days are getting fitted with rifle sights, ghost ring peep sights, and red-dot scopes. Just like the military M4 carbines in 5.56 mm wear.

Why not just choose a rifle or carbine, in a necked-case rifle caliber that shoots a 50-130 grain expanding bullet at 2500-3100 f.p.s.?

A .30 bore rifle has 30% less recoil than a 12 gauge shotgun of the same weight.

A modern paramilitary type rifle or carbine will hold 30 rounds in the magazine, instead of 6-9 in the shotgun.

Refilling the tubular magazine on a shotgun is slow, but mag changes on an AR are super-fast and easy.

An AR carbine can be lighter by about 2 pounds, compared to most 12-gauge combat shotguns.

A rifle or carbine can be shorter, with a 16" barrel as the requirement to stay out of the NFA's reach, while the shotgun has to have at least an 18" barrel to be unregulated.

Is it stopping power?

I think that a high-velocity rifle bullet of an expanding / varmint design will have plenty of stopping power, and will create a huge wound cavity that's both deep enough and not too prone to overpenetration. Now FMJ or "ball ammo" would be a bad choice. Let's assume that the rifles or carbines would only be loaded with relatively light and fast-moving expanding bullets.

The effective range of a rifle has to be at least triple that of a shotgun. Shotguns with buckshot are widely regarded as being good to 50 yards, and with slugs and some decent sights or a scope, make that 100 yards. Rifles are good to at least 150 yards with plain iron sights, shooting quickly from the standing position (unsupported). But with a rifle, if you take the time to get into a steady position or use a rest, you can shoot accurately out to at least 300 yards (even in intermediate calibers like the 6.5mm or 6.8mm, or the .300 Blackout (supersonic). The smoothbore shotgun just isn't going to get the job done at more than about 125 yards, even if you use slugs and take your time to aim well from a steady rest.

What do y'all think?

It is all a compromise.
Recoil vs accuracy vs number of rounds vs stopping power vs portability (weight) vs cost.
What is best for you in a rural environment may be poor for me in an urban area.
What is good for a trained shooter may be overwhelming for a novice.
What I can afford may be out of your reach.
Pick your poison based on your circumstances.:shoot:

Darkhorse

I see the Home Defense gun a little different. I think my shots are going to be at, "in my face" distance and no longer than the length of my house.
Unless we get invaded I can see no realistic situation where I need to take a 150 yard shot and have the time to get into a supported position for the shot. If someone is shooting at me from that far away I'll be prone in the bathtub calling a deputy. That's their job, let them do it. And it was to become a absolute necessity I'd be better served with a rifle from my safe.
I'm not so sure about a shotgun. But I've been seriously considering a carbine in pistol caliber, such as the Hi Point for home defense. In .40 S&W as I'm already set up to load that cartridge.
I think that would be just about perfect for home defense and in the yard if need be.

Jester896

Senior Clown
ever fire a sb shotgun outside? It will draw attention on a skeet field for sure. Now try it inside. It is at my reach...just not sure I want to use it.

I have one that won't wake up anybody unless the hot brass hits you...just at carbine length with everything attached... could be a go to most certainly.

Now... if PSA runs those 9mm pistols on sale one more time...I just might have to join the Stamp Waiters Support Group to make it inside friendly. I had a chance to run one a week or so ago and they run good to me. It did have a drop in replacement trigger. It also had a Shockwave Blade on it.

wareagle700

Not much out there that beats an AR-15. 30 rounds of 5.56/223 in a standard magazine and a wide range of bullet weights and designs makes it an extremely versatile paltform.

transfixer

My thinking is that 27 pellets of lead that are .25 caliber in diameter are a whole lot of hurt with just one pull of the trigger! and yes, muzzle blast from a 18 or 20 inch barreled shotgun is significant. But so is muzzle blast from a 5.56 AR, a pistol caliber carbine would be more manageable inside a house, but then it would take multiple hits from a 9mil or .40cal to do the damage of one round of #4 buck ,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Sometimes more isn't better, it's just more..."
http://www.backwoodshome.com/consider-the-20-gauge-shotgun/ Sharp-eyed readers will catch the typo in the 12 vs 20 discussion. We started the kids on a 20 gauge, and it has been so versatile, it continues to be the go to. Swap barrels to the 18.5" cylinder bore, add #2 or #3 magnum shells, and you are set.

A Mossberg branded Maverick 88 for ~ $ 188, order the 18.5" barrel from Mossberg for another ~ $ 100, and now you have a multi-purpose truck/boat/field/clays/home defense gun.

Edit: if the zombies are out around 75+ yards or so, and coming at a slow pace, well now we have a different discussion.

Last edited:

rosewood

One value of the shotgun is the intimidation factor. Even more so for a pump that a perp can hear, you can thank Hollywood for that.

However, I tend to agree. A shotgun may not be the best solution, but is definitely one of many. Low end pump shotguns tend to be cheaper and easier to be had than descent hand guns and definitely cheaper than even the least expensive ARs. However, rounds do cost more.

I keep a Sig p220 with TFO sights on it by the bed and a couple of nice tactical lights handy, then I have a Hi-point carbine stashed in a closet and another handgun hidden in the kitchen and a single shot shotgun hidden in my shop with a few extra rounds on the stock. I can get to something pretty quick no matter where I am at and retreat to the room where I can get to an AR with extra mags if need be. So as you can tell, I do not have any bias against one type. I think they all have their place, but they have to be quickly accessible to where you are at.

Rosewood

Buford_Dawg

20 guage pump 870 with 5 #4 buckshot

sits in 2 places in my home for defense. Couple of pistols as well. The 20 guage is some bad medicine.

WaltL1

If you are talking strictly home defense -
About 80% of your "against" the shotgun are distinctions without a difference.
30 rounds, mag changes, range advantages etc. just don't come in to play in a home defense situation. In fact those same advantages can become disadvantages.
Now step out the door where you aren't just shooting across a room any more, multiple zombies etc, then the whole scenario changes.
Within its specific limitations, the simplicity, reliability, fire power of a shotgun in home defense situations has been well proven.
Is it the BEST choice? That's for the individual to decide based on their needs/concerns etc.

jrickman

You might be surprised at how fast and how many times you'll pull the trigger when there is a possibility of your target shooting back. Given the choice, I'll take a compact semi-auto rifle with at least a 20 round capacity over anything if I think I might be fighting with it under 100 yards.

rosewood

I sure hope it's zombies, cause 300yd shots at an intruder might land you in the klink.

Good point. From a home invasion standpoint, you only have the right to stop the immediate threat. If they are 300 yards away, unless they are shooting at you at that distance, going to be hard to say they are an immediate threat. Also, you best not be shooting at them running away either.

Rosewood

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I prefer the ole 870

The number one reason is the wife. I have her practice jacking a round in and laying it across the bed. I tell her it will remove any doubt about there intentions. Anyone that doesn't turn and leave after they hear that sound deserves to be shot.

Big7

The Oracle
SHOTGUN. Anyday.

Only 2 reasons to carry a side-arm.

1) You are away from your shotgun.

2) To fight your way TO your shotgun.

If there is much more a civilian can posses that
causes more trauma and/or shock than a dose of 12ga 00 BK
inside a hundred yards, I'd like to see it.

Body armor or not, up to 2 oz will knock you flat.

Dub

I imagine that my AR's would be horrid to shoot indoors....that's why they live in spots close to exits.

Handguns and shotguns are what I'd go to first indoors.

JackSprat

Less recoil = less downrange energy/ energy. No one has repealed Newton's laws.

If you re in your house and you haven;t resolved the situation with 9 rounds of 12 ga., you have a tactical issue. 9 rounds of 00 buckshot = 81 .33 caliber bullets downrange= nearly 3 30 round mags.

Again if 9 rounds of 12 ga. haven't solved the issue, reloads are probably academic - oh,and BTW where is that spare mag? Besides depending on the shotgun, you can keep one loaded for nearly continuous firing.

Maybe with a tricked out AR, but for stock guns weights are comparable, especially toting that 30 rd. mag around.

So what? They both have a minimum OAL of 26" You a take the 2" off the butt of the shotgun.

Is it stopping power?
You bet. Compare the energy of basically any shot gun round to .223 - and you can assume all that energy will be absorbed by the bad guy not the kid in the next room

Who are you defending your home against at 125 yds? How close is your nearest neighbor?

What do y'all think?

Shotgun all the way especially considering the downrange consequences.

GunnSmokeer

buckshot vs. bullets

A high velocity .223 soft-point, ballistic tip, or hollowpoint (varmint, not match) bullet will break up easily and not overpenetrate. It will fragment and stop within 8" of ballistic gelatin in some loads (50 gr. Federal HP for example).

In contrast, numerous sources say that gelatin block tests of 00 buck has those pellets going 20" to 22" deep into the blocks.

The "box o' truth" tested drywall, and found the 5.56 mm had less overpenetration danger than standard 9mm / .40 law enforcement HP rounds. Much less penetration in drywall.

Unless you use big heavy bullets in your rifle, or use non-expanding FMJ ammo, I don't think a shotgun with buckshot has an "overpenetration safety" advantage.

JohnK

I prefer a shotgun but it's too much for most women and young people. Buckshot kicks and it's too long. It would be a lot easier to get them to practice with the ar's.
Which name ammo is not supposed to over penetrate? I like the little rifles but I've always thought they would have way too much penetration.