Anybody Ever Run Underwood or Buffalo Bore Defensive Ammo In A .380 LCP?

Big7

The Oracle
Been carrying Federal Hydra Shok just because that's all the premium defensive ammo I could find for a while now. Shot fine out of the gate.

So, had a FTF just racking the slide. Twice.
Been carrying in the front pocket so it might just need a good cleaning. That has never happened before.

Not at all convinced .380 ACP hollow points will do the job through denim, etc. either but haven't seen any ball in +P.
So, I was looking at Underwood and Buffalo Bore +P in the weight offerings I found in line.

Anybody ever ran them? Thoughts?

menhadenman

Not in a 380 but I use the buffalo bore +P in my G19 and their 357 offering in my GP100.

Works great but penetration is pretty insane (I use those when hunting in Rockies).

Just sharing that thought since I could see the potential for hitting unintended targets.

Another thought is you’ll want to make sure the LCP is good for handling the +p. I’m guessing so but worth checking.

Someone just posted a great deal on 380 from Midway, check that out too.

Good luck.

bighonkinjeep

I haven't fooled with the Buffalo Bore or Underwood because the Cor Bon 90gr JHPs have proven perfectly reliable in my G42 and because if past success with the brand.
I usually dont put a lot of faith in numbers on paper, but FBI spec tests of the CorBon 90gr jhp from a G42 at 10' show average 23.3" penetration through 4 layers of denim into ballistic gel. Shallowest was 16.5"
I dont second guess or doubt the Cor Bon as one of the most effective options one bit.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Dub

I don't .380.

I have used Underwood in various other calibers. Never had any trouble.

rosewood

Looking at the Lucky Gunner ballistic gel test, I believe the Hornady Critical Defense is the best all around expander/penetrator in the .380 and the 38 special. That is what I carry in those 2 cartridges. In more powerful cartridges (9mm and up), I really don't see an advantage for Critical Defense over something like a Gold Dot or XTP.

Rosewood

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
The FTF's are not ammo related.
Don't know the technical terms of the parts, but on the back of the slide is a slot where the striker moves back and forth.
It will get pocket lint in it and interfere with the striker.
I take a toothpick and keep mine cleaned out.
I also carry staggered HP's and FMJ's just for the reason you mentioned.

pjciii

Keep mine loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense. Federal is in my ammo can. I have had problems with Speer Gold dot.

Big7

The Oracle
Evidently the .380 doesn't have a sammy rating.

Everything I've found, even from Ruger says NOT to shoot the so called 380+ P at the same time sammy says they do not exist.

Taurus has a "small" and a "micro" 380 offering.
I have 2 Taurus 9's. Full size G3 and a compact G2C. All Taurus firearms are +P rated. Might have to take a look at them.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Evidently the .380 doesn't have a sammy rating.
Sure it does.

I don't think you are looking for chamber drawing or case dimensions.

What you are probably looking for is the max chamber pressure and that is 21,500 for a .380.

there is no spec for +P ammo for a .380

Last edited:

Dub

Jumbo Shrimp.

Military Inellegence.

Hot Water Heater.

Flammable.....inflammable......non-inflammable.

Business ethics.

Plastic glass.

Semi-boneless ham.

Forward lateral.

.380 +P

:bounce:

rosewood

Jumbo Shrimp.

Military Inellegence.

Hot Water Heater.

Flammable.....inflammable......non-inflammable.

Business ethics.

Plastic glass.

Semi-boneless ham.

Forward lateral.

.380 +P

:bounce:
Same difference
honest democrat
It is what it is
reality show
scary accurate

:)

bighonkinjeep

As a side note, I dont think I can recall info pertaining to cloth leather etc "stopping" hollowpoint ammo or causing early enough expansion to stop penetration. Most of the info Ive seen seems to indicate these materials may plug the nose cavity and cause HP to act like ball ammo and in some cases retard expansion while increasing penetration.
I've fired a lot of bullets over the decades into a lot of different stuff and the one thing I know for sure is the smallest of variables can cause unpredictable and sometimes surprising results , often its a lot easier to see what they've done than predict what they're gonna do.