Lock ons

BigCats

I've always hunted out of a climber mainly because i Hunt public land but I just received permission to hunt a 75 acre track all to myself for free so I'm gonna build myself some lock on stands . Before I go getting bashed I have a shop I'm certified in all types of welding so that being said what I would like to know from y'all that hunt out of them is what you would you like to see in a loc on what's missing on the ones that's out now what would like to see added just looking for ideas . I'm looking to do a basic platform and some type of patio/pool side type chair on it.

deadbox

Look at a mellinnium m100u or m150 and make that. Hands down most comfortable sit. Easy to sit all day.

Integrated bow holder, as well as footrest.

Make a mounting bracket so you don't have to hold the stand. Homemade is gonna be heavier I'm sure than a factory. So that would help in hanging it.

I weld as well so I know it will not be an issue. But hard to beat tried and true r&d of that mellinnium.

Post some pics I would like to see what you come up with.

BowChilling

You can buy the Millennium M25 for under $90. Hard to build one for that price. Large platform, comfortable seat and a foot rest!

BigCats

I'll look a those thanks, thought about the weight but seen some online that looks to be made out of some small stuff , weight really isn't gonna be a problem I intend on leaving it up all year. Would y'all use straps or a chain and turn buckle , I've thought about take a tube/ pipe straight down the back and getting one of those tie down buckles like on a gooseneck maybe smaller cutting it and making a ratchet type system with two straps one top one bottom but I can turn and tighten all from the top.

GADawg08

if you're gonna leave them out all year I would use both chain and a ratchet strap.....ratchet strap alone is too risky in my opinion, especially if you leave out all year.

Kris87

I have a variety of lock ons. My favorite is the M25 as mentioned. Its steel and its sturdy. I leave them all up during season, but its still pretty easy to hang. For the price, and comfort, its hard to beat.

GregoryB.

The seat height set where it's comfortable for you. Low seat makes it hard for me to stand up for a shot after setting a while.

BigCats

What about way to climb do y'all like sticks , or are those screw in steps ok

satchmo

Sticks

What about way to climb do y'all like sticks , or are those screw in steps ok

Sticks are a lot faster with a fraction of the cussing that's comes with screw in steps. I grew up on screw on steps from 1980-2004, I'll never go back to them. Not saying they( screw in steps) don't have their place but sticks are safer, easier and faster.

southGAlefty

I love the Milleniums. Only gripe is the platform at the tree is a little too narrow the closer you get to the tree. Have to watch your step standing up.

chris41081

I like arm rests. I'm sure some will say that they get in the way but they don't bother me. Sitting for hours and hours it's nice to have.

BigCats

Thanks guys for info keep sending thoughts and I'll try and build the ulimate lock on the maybe want have to rent a crane to set

deadbox

Sticks 100%. I hung my mellinnium m100 old version with chain mount and 3 leverage step sticks in the rain on blackbeard island yesterday in about 10min. Very easy.

However disregard all weights they clam they are false. New mellinnium m100u list as 11.5 lbs. I know for a fact that the stand weighs 15 and with the chain buckle it's 18. However the comfort is well worth the extra weight.

joshb311

Big comfy seat, huge platform that's completely silent, easy hanging system and keep it all under 10 pounds and I'll buy several if you can get em together. Haha, but seriously, I'd like to see what you come up with. Gotta love the DIY initiative. Some outstanding ideas are born there.

BigCats

Yeah just have to put it together I come up with a idea years ago Building nice iron picket lock type boxes for Ac unit when they were getting stole lot I know there were probably some one there but most were standard I as doing the fancy stuff even had a Ac distribution warehouse gonna put them on the floor but got so busy Building Docks I never pushed it and boy do I kick myself in the rear end lol

DeepweR

Adjustable seat height, I got short legs and most the seat is to dang high

JeffJLH

Big plat form and notched plate. So I can screw a bolt into the tree and set it on like Family traditions