Logging

DSGB

I had a camera set up on a creek crossing that hasn't really gotten much action until they started logging. I had always suspected this spot was once used as a crossing. The deer sure used it, from what I saw last season. There's an old wooden bridge up the creek that is used by members on their ATVs, but I wouldn't cross it with a vehicle, much less a skidder.
I got a picture of one member on his four wheeler yesterday morning, that wasn't included. There are still a few piles of logs I suspect they will be coming back to haul out. I wonder if they'll demolish the makeshift "bridge" once they're done. I surely don't want everyone crossing in this spot.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Very cool video capture. I have tons of logging pics, but never a video of it happening

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I doubt they will remove the logs as part of the routine. You could ask the log hog operator and give a tip and he very well might do it for you.
I know they will grade out a log drag for a food plot for some cash.

DSGB

Very cool video capture. I have tons of logging pics, but never a video of it happening

Technically just a bunch of pics over two days that I turned into a video slideshow.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s pretty ingenious too! Great catch!

Highintheshoulder

they will pick them up in most cases

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I doubt they will remove the logs as part of the routine. You could ask the log hog operator and give a tip and he very well might do it for you.
I know they will grade out a log drag for a food plot for some cash.

He'd better if he doesn't want to deal with the GA Forestry Commission. Can't leave logs or any debris in the creek. Also has to berm up earth on both sides once retired at the minimum.

DSGB

That's cool...I think they have to remove them if it is a waterway of the state...
they will pick them up in most cases
He'd better if he doesn't want to deal with the GA Forestry Commission. Can't leave logs or any debris in the creek. Also has to berm up earth on both sides once retired at the minimum.

That's what I was hoping. Surely they wouldn't be allowed to just block up the creek, which would cause the dirt around the logs to erode.

DSGB

On another note, it would be nice to have a skidder to haul your deer out of the woods.

There was a spot on some property I used to hunt in Alabama that had some huge ruts that were there for years. My grandfather said they got the skidder stuck when logging. You know it's wet when you get a skidder stuck.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
On another note, it would be nice to have a skidder to haul your deer out of the woods.

There was a spot on some property I used to hunt in Alabama that had some huge ruts that were there for years. My grandfather said they got the skidder stuck when logging. You know it's wet when you get a skidder stuck.

They really destroy land when they run too wet. I mean ruin it. Tough to fix a skidder rut.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I’d rather have a loader than a skidder. Buddy of mine would get the cutterman to knock me down a good oak, drag it back to the dock, run it through the delimber, cut it into logs with the bucksaw, and pinch each log with the loader grapple over the back of my pickup. You talk about an easy load of firewood for the year in just a few minutes. Split and ready to cure!