Looking for ideas

1gr8buildit

My truck was broken into at a boat landing overnight leaving me with lots of damage from a ball bat. Considering I fish secluded boat landings many nights throughout the year, I am trying to find some sort of security. Preferably cellular? Any ideas? If I can't get a picture, then I'm thinking of some sort of motion detector that would turn on the park lights including the trailer which would make a would be thief assume someone was in the vehicle. Anybody currently have something they trust to work?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@tr21 - If that is a serious answer it is a poor one. I appreciate the idea but sadly this approach is likely to cost way more than just repairing the truck each time it is damaged.

If that was not a serious answer then you should delete it as this is the on topic forum where only serious answers are allowed.

My truck was broken into at a boat landing overnight leaving me with lots of damage from a ball bat. Considering I fish secluded boat landings many nights throughout the year, I am trying to find some sort of security. Preferably cellular? Any ideas? If I can't get a picture, then I'm thinking of some sort of motion detector that would turn on the park lights including the trailer which would make a would be thief assume someone was in the vehicle. Anybody currently have something they trust to work?
Some folks use a cellular trail camera mounted up in a tree watching their equipment.. you know instantly when something they’re messing with your stuff. all kinds of settings video etc ! Probally your best option

Toliver

Two things come to mind.

I see new cars now that record 360 degrees around themselves. Is that something that has hit the aftermarket for installation on existing vehicles?

Second, the ring type cameras for homes. I think there are several brands now. How do those work? Do they need Wi-Fi or can they work remotely? Can they be installed in the windows to send you an alert to your phone if someone triggers them? Trail cameras can do that so why not a vehicle security camera?

Gadestroyer was typing same time I was. Great minds think alike. I haven't shopped for them in many years so have those send you a text type trail cameras become small enough to work with inside a vehicle?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
... Considering I fish secluded boat landings many nights throughout the year, I am trying to find some sort of security
Without knowing your location, nothing may work short of changing ramps.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Cell camera at my shop. Would work for you if you have a signal.

IMG_1166.jpeg

basshappy

BANNED
Cellular trail camera. Depending on where you travel your choice for carrier network may be decided for you. If you post location(s) where you travel maybe people can share which cellular trail cams they use in those areas. I like to use 2 cellular cameras - one pointed at my vehicle and the other pointed at the entrance to the lot. You will practice parking to get the best view of your vehicle and placement of secondary camera covering entrance to get best angles for coverage.

Dash camera that records to hidden storage media or uploads via cellular to cloud storage. Hidden storage or cloud because smash and grab can take the evidence if storing only to the camera.

Place a cellular camera recording in progress sign clearly visible in your vehicle. Buy them online or at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Tin signs I think by Tactacam. White and red.

You could place a motion sensor light inside or near the vehicle. Battery powered. This or these could potentially interfere with the quality of cellular recording though.

Consider calling the local sheriff non-emergency number and letting them know where you are at and IF they can make a round or two you would greatly appreciate it. You can begin the conversation by asking if they have had break ins at that location and lead into the drive by request.

DannyW

I used to go backpacking in the Cohutta Wilderness Area. The trail heads I went to were about 30 minutes off the main road via winding gravel roads. In other words, having any kind of law enforcement help was wishful thinking.

What I did was, before I left home, empty my car of anything even remotely valuable besides my camping gear. And when I parked at the trail head, I left my car completely unlocked.

I have no doubt at times my car was searched, but it never was damaged because they didn't have to break a window to get in. And I lost nothing because I had nothing worth stealing in the car.

Counter-intuitive thinking I guess, but it worked dozens of times for me.