Looking for Canoe mount options for a vehicle.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Sadly, just any ol' canoe rack won't do. My vehicle has the space to carry a canoe on the roof, the problem is when I deploy my camper section, the bow impacts the roof of my Gladiator. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, here are some photos of my vehicle so you can see what I am talking about.

As you can see, when I would deploy my camper, the bow of the canoe will hit the roof of the Gladiator and that just won't do. I sleep in it on the road, and I am not wanting to have to remove my canoe when I stop for the night to sleep when I am on the road, not to mention having to secure the canoe so someone won't just take it during my sleep, especially if a am boondocking in a Cracker Barrel or some other place's parking lot that allows boondocking,
385487067_10218698512612902_7110239753311485409_n.jpg368035505_755985746538757_821640216236079461_n.jpg

killerv

Just a thought, a yakima longarm with a hitch extender and height extender. You could have the front of the canoe right at the edge of the front of the camper where it wouldnt hit when you lifted it, all you would have to do is remove the strap from the yakima rack so the the canoe would tilt when deploying camper. Don't know how much your canoe weighs, I have an old old town royalex, its light.

I'm assuming there is a way to add some tie down points to the top of camper?

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Not sure if they make one commercially, but my thought would be to build one to where it would slide off the side of the truck so when the tent is lifted, the canoe angles but is now off to the side so it doesn’t hit the top of the cab or hood.
Like a pipe in a pipe with some sort or tension or locking mechanism similar to an extendable walking or shooting stick.

Or something like this…
IMG_6810.jpeg

Last edited:

tad1

Either way, you’re having to move the boat when you deploy the camper. Ideally not taking it all the way off..
Think you could slide the boat forward, securing the bow to the winch bar area upfront? Then you’re only having to slide it forward and then slide it backwards again and secure before you travel onward.
Interested in your solution, that is a heck of a rig!

WadeW

A Thule Hullivator system would allow you to bring the kayak/canoe down to the side of the vehicle when you need to open the roof. I'm not sure how it mounts but could hbe an option.