Looking to learn to bird hunt

dawgvet

So I’ve committed to learn to quail hunt this year and maybe even try grouse hunting! My kids and I have been dove hunting together for the past 3 seasons and really enjoyed it. I would love to learn to quail hunt so we could hunt together. If anyone would be willing to let a newbie tag along, plus or minus a couple interested teenagers, I would be most grateful. I’m going to try to book at least one paid hunt for them this Fall but that gets expensive quickly. I live in Cherokee County but would love to drive down to hunt wherever. Can hunt some Thursdays and some weekends.

Would love to just tag along and learn. I’ve even kicked around the idea of getting a dog one day!
If anyone would be kind enough to let me (us) tag along, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jed

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good luck ! Not to many people have enough wild birds to really hunt . Most quail hunting is done with pen raised birds . And I sure do miss the days wild coveys were plentiful . With that said I hope you find what you are looking for , and congrats on getting the kids involved

spring

I'd start by taking your kids along on some of the commercial hunts, especially since you haven't hunted wild birds before and are looking for good family times. You'll get a lot more shooting that way, learn the mechanics, get some good instruction, while mostly creating memories and having a blast. There are some places that offer pretty basic hunts that are much less expensive than some that are creating a more upscale experience.
As your interest in quail hunting grows, you'll soon find out if owning your own bird dog suits your needs. If you get into it that much, the likely contacts you would have made in the hunting community will open up many other opportunities, all of which will lead to even greater appreciation the outdoor lifestyle and years of happiness.
You'll also live much longer, make more money, women will love you, and men will be envious of all that you do.

Last edited:

coastalredneck

if wanting to get good at wing shooting.. go to your nearest sporting clays range.. after that find a pay shoot.. its all in fun