Loose sling swivel stud fix!

krizia829

Was going nuts trying to fix the sling swivel stud that was twisting freely on my muzzleloader and sliding out. I tried rubber cement, plumbers tape, etc. then all of a sudden I find a small dry wall anchor. I cut half of it and it happened to fit nice and snug in the hole. I screwed in the stud and bam! Snug fit and doesn’t come out! Kind of embarrassed to post this but maybe it can help save some headaches for others! Lol ‍whatever works!! 72D286B1-F67D-4B6F-9249-86249F83FFAF.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A piece of toothpick or whittled out wooden shim will work too. And you won`t see it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I like the fix. Necessity is the mother of invention they say, and rightly so.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Liquid nails works pretty good, too. :)

Skeeter XRi

/\ /\ what Killerv said…

If the stud is a machine thread, find a matching nut or threaded insert and drill from inside the stock just deep enough to seat the nut/insert. Epoxy it in and then screw the stud in from the bottom.

If it’s not a machine thread, a long lasting fix is a little more challenging.

Jim

trial&error

Glue and a dowel come to mind, however, given it's a synthetic maybe an epoxy instead of glue. There may be a synthetic equivalent to the dowel, but i have no knowledge of that.

Hillbilly stalker

If it has wood screw threads….JB weld or liquid steel. Let it dry and then drill it. You won’t see it and won’t have to re do it later.

krizia829

/\ /\ what Killerv said…

If the stud is a machine thread, find a matching nut or threaded insert and drill from inside the stock just deep enough to seat the nut/insert. Epoxy it in and then screw the stud in from the bottom.

If it’s not a machine thread, a long lasting fix is a little more challenging.

Jim
It's not a machine thread. Already tried it.. Plus I was limited with space due to the ramrod touching

bany

I kicked all this around for my rifle stock. My solution was to drill a new hole and the lug/stud made its own threads and it’s been like new or better.

krizia829

I kicked all this around for my rifle stock. My solution was to drill a new hole and the lug/stud made its own threads and it’s been like new or better.
I was going to do the same until I did the anchor. If it doesn't hold up, then I'm just going to make a new hole. I know it'll work for sure. I was trying to avoid having to make a new hole

bany

Funny thing, Ruger suggested getting a new stock

Latest posts