Lost Shotgun - Sheffield WMA - REWARD

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to deer hunt myself, but deer hunters aren't high and mighty and better than any other hunter. I don't think it's disrespectful at all for someone to go out squirrel hunting on public land during squirrel season. They have just as much right to enjoy themselves as you do. I think it's a lot more disrespectful to think you should have the public woods to yourself because you're better than him just because you're hunting a deer instead of a squirrel.

HunterJoe24

It takes a special kind of person to call another fellow hunter a jerk for doing almost the exact same thing he/she is doing. I would like to say something about you, but I'll just let you continue and know your attitude towards fellow hunters will come back to bite you

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Probably hunting squirrels in the middle of deer season. Sheffield now allows that during deer season, and sorry but you have to be a real jerk to be trampling around the woods with a shotgun looking for squirrels while guys are bow hunting

This is attitude is killing hunting. Most of us started on small game as youngsters. Today opportunities for the small game hunters get less and less. I enjoy hunting of all types and where permitted small game hunters have just as much right on public land as anyone.

tbrown913

Lets say your fishing catching a few nice bass on a "public lake." Then another boat pulls into the same cove. Drops an anchor and flips a frisbee out in the lake for his lab to retrieve. Then people start jumping into the water. Wouldn't you call them disrespectful ?

Same thing. They have as much right to be there as you do, and as much right to use the resource to their enjoyment as you do. If they drop anchor 10 feet from you then yes its disrespectful. Ever hunted a wma and had someone come into the same area you were hunting? Just because they are deer hunting too doesn't make any difference. They are using the resource just like you. Equal rights and access. Dont like it find some land to lease.

six

Lets say your fishing catching a few nice bass on a "public lake." Then another boat pulls into the same cove. Drops an anchor and flips a frisbee out in the lake for his lab to retrieve. Then people start jumping into the water. Wouldn't you call them disrespectful ?
If someone else pulled into the "public lake" where I'm catching fish and proceeded with the frisbee scenario I wouldn't give it a second thought. If they pulled up right beads me and did it, I'd say they were inconsiderate. Same hold true with any kind of hunter. If a squirrel hunter walked in on me while I was bow hunting on public land, then moved on somewhere else once he saw me then I wouldn't think they did anything inconsiderate at all. If he continued to hang around where he knows I'm at then I'd probably climb down and call it a day. but I suspect most small game hunters would move on once they spotted someone sitting in a tree stand with a bow.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The only thing you should expect on public land is to run into people. That’s why it’s called “public land”.

Some people aren’t concerned with doing what’s right, they’re only interested in what’s legal; they’ll claim spots, think their hunt is the most important, intentionally disturb, and lack enough common sense to back out off of others.

You shouldn’t need a law to do the right thing.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
In my experience, small game hunters are a whole lot more considerate than most deer hunters.
Remember when small game hunters had a couple weeks to hunt between thanksgiving and Christmas and it didn't affect deer hunters? Man, me and my buddies tore the woods up with beagles and fiests during the day and the coon dogs at night (pick your color)

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like to deer hunt myself, but deer hunters aren't high and mighty and better than any other hunter. I don't think it's disrespectful at all for someone to go out squirrel hunting on public land during squirrel season. They have just as much right to enjoy themselves as you do. I think it's a lot more disrespectful to think you should have the public woods to yourself because you're better than him just because you're hunting a deer instead of a squirrel.

This is absolutely right. A lot of Deer hunters have developed an arrogance and place more importance on deer hunting, than my hunting rabbits. It says Public land, not Public deer hunting land.