M1 CMP or not?

JKnieper

Hoping some of you can help. I have been considering buying an M1 and am wondering if I should go the CMP route or buy from an individual/dealer. My objective is to own a piece of history that I can take out and shoot on occasion. I'm not looking to win a national match with it but would like something that shoots relatively well.
From a price perspective the rifles seem all over the board.
CMP currently has Field and Service grades available from various manufacturers. Before I head to Anniston in January I would appreciate any practical advice.

Merry Christmas

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
CMP is a good way to go.

cmshoot

Yep. You can get an M1 for under $600 that goes for $950 at the gun show. I bought my M1 at the CMP at Camp Perry and don't regret it.

WaltL1

You might want to consider getting a Throat Erosion Gage to help you pick one out that may be a little more accurate. The CMP also sells those for about $60 I believe. Or look around and see if someone might let you use theirs for a minute or two. Might want to pick up a bayonet for it too while you are there :)
Of all my rifles shooting the Garand flips my switch the most.

telsonman

Yeah, my M1's are some of my favorite shooters. I got one up at Camp Perry, and another at Anniston.

Laman

When I picked out my M1 at Anniston they had throat gauges there for you to use when inspecting, also very knowledgable individuals eager to help. It is well worth a trip there and pick up plenty of ammo while you at it, these things are a blast to shoot. Mine is only a field grade but two retired "gunnies" I shoot with both want first dibs if I ever decided to sell.

madpegtod

I would definitely go the CMP route. Just tell Leon what you are looking for and he will personally go around with you and help you pick out a good shooter. Talk to the guys on the CMP forum. They live and breathe Garands. Many of them have a dozen or more. That's what I did before I bought my first Garand. They can give you alot of good tips and best times to go.

GAR

CMP is the way to go!!
Leon will help you out and might even tear the weapon down and inspect it for you.
Have a bunch of CMP rifles and not all of them are Garands.
Ammo is also a great buy.
My CC is always in danger when I make the trip there!!!

Tom

JKnieper

Thanks everyone. I have been lurking on the CMP forum and am overwhelmed by the amount of info. Maybe I am over thinking it some but I just want to make a wise choice. Any thoughts on a field versus service grade from a value and performance perspective? Value from a purchase perspective only as I am not concerned about resale. I tend not to sell guns.
Thanks again.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well, I'd get at least Service Grade and maybe even Correct Grade if it was going to be a shooter. If it is going to be a safe queen, I'd get Collector Grade.

cmshoot

Up at Camp Perry the Armorer's were great. One of 'em went around with me and my brother and helped us gauge and inspect the rifles. We found 2 good ones and set 'em aside. As we went along, we replaced those 2 several times when we found better ones. Eventually, we came out with 2 that were outstanding as shooters. My stock cleaned up exceedingly well, so now she looks good as well.

Prone with a loop sling, I shot easy 1.5MOA groups at 100yds out of mine with surplus ball ammo

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
go to anniston yourself and pick it out. It's a cool place to go!

T

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I didn't even know you could do that. I know they will ship a Garand right to your door, but I didn't know you can go pick through them. Do you have to submit all the paperwork ahead of time and get an appointment, or will they just accept your paperwork and money right there and use the instant background check, or what?

JKnieper

I was planning on going to anniston to pick one out myself. Its my understanding that you can show up with all your appropriate paperwork, pick one out, and take it home with you.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was planning on going to anniston to pick one out myself. Its my understanding that you can show up with all your appropriate paperwork, pick one out, and take it home with you.

Interested in sharing a ride over there? I'm going to pick up a Garand and some ammo too.

marktaylor99

I was there back in October.
Take all your paperwork, and if everything is in order, you can take it home. No tax (for a GA resident) and no shipping.
They have 'loaner' guages in the store. I would look through the field grades first, then the service grades. I've found several field grades that probably should have been classified as service.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was there back in October.
Take all your paperwork, and if everything is in order, you can take it home. No tax (for a GA resident) and no shipping.
They have 'loaner' guages in the store. I would look through the field grades first, then the service grades. I've found several field grades that probably should have been classified as service.

I'll be looking for a "correct" or "special" grade.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Leon took care of me! I got a new Garand from CMP Anniston today...well, not new...it's a 1955 Springfield in about 90%+ condition. The crown guages at less than .5...essentially a new barrel. I'm happy. :fine: even though I don't need it, I also picked up the correct M5 Bayonet and M8 Scabbard....they appear to be new, and 2 200 rd cans of the Greek M2 ammo. The grade is CMP Special Service grade....all the numbers are right, original finish on all the metal that's very close to 100%....the action is tight, the stock fit is nice and tight, the only visible flaws I find on the whole rifle are a couple of small (very small) scratches on the stock which can easily be fixed with a hot iron and a wet paper towel, some 000 steel wool, and a little tung oil...but I bought it to shoot, so I'm not concerned. It's going to get nicked up anyway.

There's a CMP match out near Bremen Jan 28.....:shoot: