Making sure I understand everything about deer hunting WMAs

I'm planning my third time going hunting in my life, the first time for big game, and want to make sure I understand everything right.

From the 12-15 of December there is a "Buck Only" hunt on Paulding Forest WMA. This is a sign in hunt. Am I correct in my understanding, that this means I just go on the DNR app or website and sign in, then head out there and go hunting?

Since its a sign in hunt, there's no sort of tag that gets put on the deer, just write down an entry in the harvest record, and then report online later?

(Assuming that I actually get one. Especially since the need for a scope only occurred to me late, after going out there with my kids on Friday to look around the terrain, so my range is going to be limited unless the scope with SKS mounting kit I ordered gets here quicker than expected.)

The etiquette of WMA hunting, from reading posts on here, I think I understand-- first come, first hunts that area, and if I get to somewhere and see another hunter got there before me, I go on to another spot, I guess far enough away that I can't see him.

The slope overlooking this marshy looked like it would be a neat place to set up, as there is vegetation to provide some cover, but now reading the regulations, "It is unlawful to take a deer by any means while it is in a lake, stream, or pond.", I guess its better not to, as even if there deer is standing on the grassy places there, that's pretty much in the lake, or just a step away from the lake. Which raises the question, what if the deer is, say, taking a drink out of a lake or stream, standing on its shore?
marsh.jpg

chrislibby88

You can shoot them in the bank. I think the rule is really to keep people from shooting and losing game in water, or crossing streams, rivers, etc. It would be very problematic to recover one in cold water, and a decomposing body will pollute a small water source. Just don’t shoot one wading shoulder deer in the pond.

chrislibby88

And yes, that is the supposed etiquette, though you’ll eventually find out that not everyone understands it. I’ve had people knowingly come set up right on top of me, but it’s pretty rare. 99% of the folks out there are respectful.
If someone happens to be in a spot I wanted to hunt I usually keep moving a minimum of several hundred yards. Out of sight isn’t necessarily a safe shooting distance away, and depending on the wind you may still be blowing scent into each other’s zone. Best thing to do is have several backup spots, or walk farther than the rest are willing to go. You can avoid 90% of other hunters by staying away from food plots or walking 1-200 yards from the road. You wouldn’t believe the grown men that are afraid to venture far into the woods in the dark. I know a few. Haha

Reactions: Dub
Looking at the statistics on deer harvest, I've got a feeling there aren't many deer out there in Paulding forest anyway, so, at least I may not be bumping into many people anyway! :-D
As the crow flies, that point in the photo was 450 yards from the road. If I do get a deer, it is going to be a workout getting it to the car though!
With the kids, like I said, we got at most 500 yards from the road, so I don't know much of the area, though I've been looking over the topo and aerial maps, and with the GPS I can certainly find my way around there.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Looks like you have gotten a good jist of it. Much better than some. Good luck to you, I've never hunted the December gun hunt there, i usually hunt the November hunt. It can get crowded in November in places, don't know about December. I am thinking of trying the December hunt this week though.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like u got it figured out , good luck , just remember it’s a success just being in the woods, and the deer killing will come

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Looking at the statistics on deer harvest, I've got a feeling there aren't many deer out there in Paulding forest anyway

Quite a few deer on Paulding, but with it limited to bucks on this hunt, the rut is pretty much over and the previous pressure it has them not moving much during the day.

Not sure how old the kids are, but look into the adult/child hunts next year on the various WMAs.

If you haven't already seen it, check out this guide:

I'm assuming this is slightly dated information? I don't see where I can buy a "WMA license". Otherwise, thanks, I hadn't seen that. So I'll drop by the check station on Thursday morning then, and if I get anything, on the way out as well.

Quite a few deer on Paulding, but with it limited to bucks on this hunt, the rut is pretty much over and the previous pressure it has them not moving much during the day.

Not sure how old the kids are, but look into the adult/child hunts next year on the various WMAs.

The two older ones are just 6 & 8. The older one is a bit skittish sometimes. Last month we went up to Chestnut Mtn shooting range, and there was a guy there shooting something powerful with a muzzle brake-- so everyone else felt each shot. After a couple of those, he ran back to the car, and only after doubling his hearing protection (ear plugs and ear "muffs") and a bit of talking "be brave" and so forth did he come back. With a BB pistol or pellet revolver he shoots great, and he did OK shooting my 10/22 that day, but the excitement of "pull the trigger, bang, repeat 10x" lead to a lot of inaccurate shot placement. Aside that the SKS is too heavy for either of them, I know he would be scared of even its recoil, let alone some break or bolt action centerfire youth rifle. (I guess-- maybe .223 would be OK?)

I don't think I'll be taking either of them on Thursday though. We got out of bed last week real early for them-- 5:45, but still couldn't get out the door until 6:30, which from Smyrna meant 7:30 arrival to Paulding Forest.

j_seph

100 yard drag or 500 yard drag, just take your time. Make sure you have nothing on your agenda that you "have" to do. I shot a hog that field dressed 275, I was by myself and had a 1/4 mile drag easily and across 2 creeks. Long as your mindset is that you do not have to have it out by such and such time remember every 20 foot you drag, no matter how many times you stop you are 20 foot closer to the vehicle. Heck at one point I got him to the creek with high banks and rolled him off in it to keep cool and sat there enjoying the moment. If you do not have a cart or sled then I would suggest a safety harness even hunting from the ground cause they make dragging easier. Also it never hurts if someone gets there before you and they are still at their vehicle to stop and talk to them in a low voice not loud. They may be going to a completely different area or direction. This happened to me twice this past Thanksgiving. One I was already there and fella pulled up, we were actually hunting opposite sides of the roadbed. Next a guy beat me there that morning, my climber was hung already. talked to him and showed respect, even told him I would go to plan b no big deal. This fella insisted that I go hunt my climber that was watching the same area he was planning to hunt and he went the opposite direction. Wish he had shot one that morning cause I was ready to go help him get it out, mainly because he returned the respect I had given him.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I'm assuming this is slightly dated information? I don't see where I can buy a "WMA license". Otherwise, thanks, I hadn't seen that. So I'll drop by the check station on Thursday morning then, and if I get anything, on the way out as well.

Yep, the WMA license is gone now.

Aside that the SKS is too heavy for either of them, I know he would be scared of even its recoil, let alone some break or bolt action centerfire youth rifle. (I guess-- maybe .223 would be OK?)
The 223 would be fine as well as 243 or even the new 350 Legend. But I wouldn't want to rush it. If he's uncomfortable with a centerfire rifle now and he feels it's forced on him he may pull away. Good luck!

I’m assuming you’ve never field dress a deer, that can make the drag a lot lighter.

You can probably You Tube it. Also, carry a rope.
Nope. I've slaughtered sheep and goats with my father-in-law (once by myself), so more-or-less I've got an idea. Tonight I'm going to watch on YouTube. Particularly how to cut around the anus is something usually my FIL does. And with slaughter, we have the animal hanging, which makes a difference.