Marlin 880 (22 LR)

menhadenman

My late father bought me an 880, Marlin’s bolt action 22 LR with a 7 round magazine. I’m guessing it was late 80s or early 90s. I wore out some critters with that gun and always shot with confidence because I knew it was an accurate rifle.

Fast forward three decades and I have a pile of 22s. But haven’t grabbed this one in a while because it’s not well suited for an optic. But we’ve got some squirrels to take care of and the kid’s 10/22 isn’t necessarily throwing darts.

So I grabbed the 880 out of the safe to try it with some CCI subsonics (1,050 fps). First three shots were great, especially with irons and middle aged eyes.

7C172C49-82D9-4C9D-8640-2FF256944305.jpeg

I grabbed a small ball peen hammer and gave the rear sight a few taps and bingo.

76BBC9E2-F696-4851-8A41-EC5B94740660.jpeg

This is 25 yards shooting off the dog food bin on the back porch. I believe it’ll do great on the squirrels. Glad to get back to the basics!

My recollection was these were carried in the Walmarts and other box stores for about $150. Wish I could go back in time and grab about five of them.

94A572B8-0F31-41DA-9B03-212341DA5978.jpeg66C46615-FF11-4E9D-AB7D-7155CB00B6C1.jpeg

snuffy

My dad bought me and my brother Mossberg bolt action 22 clip fed rifles for Christmas back in 1962.
Wish I still had mine. Some fine piece of stole it out of my house
while I was at work.
My brother still has his.

transfixer

My late father bought me an 880, Marlin’s bolt action 22 LR with a 7 round magazine. I’m guessing it was late 80s or early 90s. I wore out some critters with that gun and always shot with confidence because I knew it was an accurate rifle.

Fast forward three decades and I have a pile of 22s. But haven’t grabbed this one in a while because it’s not well suited for an optic. But we’ve got some squirrels to take care of and the kid’s 10/22 isn’t necessarily throwing darts.

So I grabbed the 880 out of the safe to try it with some CCI subsonics (1,050 fps). First three shots were great, especially with irons and middle aged eyes.

View attachment 1274047

I grabbed a small ball peen hammer and gave the rear sight a few taps and bingo.

View attachment 1274048

This is 25 yards shooting off the dog food bin on the back porch. I believe it’ll do great on the squirrels. Glad to get back to the basics!

My recollection was these were carried in the Walmarts and other box stores for about $150. Wish I could go back in time and grab about five of them.

View attachment 1274049View attachment 1274050

Sweet rifle ! I love those older Marlin bolt actions, I've got a 81dl that has a tube magazine, I think they were the older version of what you have ? it will shoot similar groups to what you have, and it has a factory rear peep sight, I have considered getting the receiver drilled and tapped, I already found some bases for it, just haven't done it yet. not sure I really want to , might just leave it as it is,

menhadenman

Sweet rifle ! I love those older Marlin bolt actions, I've got a 81dl that has a tube magazine, I think they were the older version of what you have ? it will shoot similar groups to what you have, and it has a factory rear peep sight, I have considered getting the receiver drilled and tapped, I already found some bases for it, just haven't done it yet. not sure I really want to , might just leave it as it is,
My head was in the same spot - I’ve got optics on nearly every rifle these days and had all but forgotten how accurate this one was with simple iron sights inside of 30 yds. Heck I can’t shoot a group like that with either of my 10/22s. I like a small dab of chartreuse/green on the front sight blade and that’s all she wrote.

Hope to wear out some small critters with it sometime in the next week. The subsonics ought to keep the woods from getting too startled.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My 981. Love the tube magazine. Its a shooter to. Broke it ou tthe other week and checked zero.

5 shot groups at 50 yds.
20231030_150300.jpg

transfixer

My head was in the same spot - I’ve got optics on nearly every rifle these days and had all but forgotten how accurate this one was with simple iron sights inside of 30 yds. Heck I can’t shoot a group like that with either of my 10/22s. I like a small dab of chartreuse/green on the front sight blade and that’s all she wrote.

Hope to wear out some small critters with it sometime in the next week. The subsonics ought to keep the woods from getting too startled.

I've always preferred Marlin 22's over the Ruger 10-22's, never shot a stock 10-22 that could compete with them on accuracy, you have to get into the aftermarket barrels for the Ruger to equal the Marlin's accuracy from my experience

menhadenman

I've bought several Marlin bolt action 22's and a 22 mag in the last few months. Marlin isn't making them any more so if I find one in good shape cheap I go ahead and get it. Great Rifles
Crazy how I can shoot better groups with a Marlin/iron sights vs Ruger/scope. I do enjoy my Rugers but somehow forgot how sweet that Marlin was. I whacked two squirrels and two doves with it first thing this morning. Brings back childhood memories.