Medicare decisions

ribber

my dad is 62 and gets medicare in feb. we're trying to decide which plan to go with. he has no insurance now and is in poor health. what are costs of something like humana(part c) or a gap type policy? he's on SS disibility

comallard

Not sure about the cost of the plans, but I would recommend traditional Medicare and get a supplemental plan like AARP to cover your deductibles and copays. From what I have seen, Medicare Advantage plans like Humana, cost less on the front end, but more on the back end.

davedirt

I would get him an Advantage plan untill he turns 65, reason being
the sups for under 65 are going to be exspincive. once he is 65 you
will find that the sups will be reasonalbe price over 65. PS AARP is not an insurance company.

Michael F. Gray

Not certain where you are. I am on Medicare, and have tried three three supplements. The formularies of each included most of the medications I'm prescribed, and one was less expensive. I signed up and was locked in for 12 months. Each month when I visited the pharmacy to obtain Meds, the company would deny my most expensive prescription. That means you pay for it out of pocket, file an appeal and wait months to get paid. For several years I have had an Advantage PPO from Blue Cross-Blue Shield. It is not the least expensive plan. It does have several advantages. I just spent 8 days in the hospital. With Blue Cross you get first class treatment, and it pays well. I have never had them decline to pay for any Meds on their formulary. My sole complaint is the rise in rates annually. My health is fragile. I can't afford it, ...neither can I afford to be without it. A word of caution. Larger hospitals and pharmacies have computer programs to load the Meds you take and match you with the cheapest company with all your Meds included in their formulary. Sounds good, but you get what you pay for. I'm satidfied with Blue Cross, and I've never had a physician, hospital, or Medical provider hesitate to accept it.

southgaoriginal

go on medicare.gov and put in your zip, it will allow u to input his info and meds and show u the expected cost of the plans available in your county price can vary alot and the cheapest maynot be the best for you

Reel Big-uns

AARP is an agent for UnitedHealth Care Insurance.

Medicare Part A usually is free.

Part B $90.99 Per month and is purchased through medicare.

Must be AARP Member to purchase Part D and Supplemental plans through their agency.

$15 annual membership fee.
less than that if you sign up for 3 or 5 year membership.

AARP/UnitedHealth Part D Plan that most people uses is $40.21 per month.

Next to the best Supplemental plan they have, Plan B, is about $285 per month, for someone under 65 years old and drawing SSA disability benefits.

Considerably cheaper for age 65 and older.

It pays all of what Medicare Part A and all but the deductible of $140 per year that Part B doesn't pay.

For my wife's situation of being on disability and under age 65 and with the stipulations on my Group Health Ins., these are the Medicare plans we chose from AARP/UnitedHealth Care for her.

Bow Only

go on medicare.gov and put in your zip, it will allow u to input his info and meds and show u the expected cost of the plans available in your county price can vary alot and the cheapest maynot be the best for you

Do this.

AARP supported Obamacare and I would not reccommend them to anyone. They sold out and do not have seniors best interests at heart.

Reel Big-uns

Do this.

AARP supported Obamacare and I would not reccommend them to anyone. They sold out and do not have seniors best interests at heart.

We just cuttin in line:bounce:, Long live MITT!!!

cotinpatch

From what I've seen....the poorer your health the more likely a supplemental plan will best serve your needs. My husband and I had a supplemental plan through Bankers Life.....we are both over 65 and it cost +/- $500/month. Because we are both in reasonably good health we are switching to an HMO through Aetna. We have been paying the better part of $6000/yr. which was substantially more than we were using. The HMO has no monthly premium and includes Part D (prescriptions). You can make a change yearly if you wish to do so. Where the HMO may be right for our needs now, if our health declines we may decide to change next year. It is valuable to check that the MDs you wish to see are part of whatever plan you choose. The various insurance companies that offer Medicare plans will send someone to your home, if you wish, to explain the plans. Coverage may vary from county to county....must admit, I don't get that one!!!
Each year there is a period of time, this year Oct. 15 to Dec. 7 (I think) for those receiving Medicare to decide what coverage they wish to have for the coming year. These insurance companies are prevented by law from calling you to solicit business although they are free to send you information through the mail. If you wish to have a representative come to your home (or wherever) you need to contact them. We had four companies make presentations to us....all were informative, answered our questions and left us with printed material for us to read. Certainly I'm not sure but would seem that a true supplement plan which picks up all the costs not covered by basic Medicare might be the best way to go if your health is not good. Understand, however, if a service is not covered by Medicare at all, then it's not covered by the supplemental either.

j_seph

My wife has BCBS supplement plan(disabled )other than $198 month premium we only have to pay for meds through Humana and most are 2 bucks