Meopta Optika5 2-10x42 (AR project pics added now)

Jim Boyd

Looking for a higher (not highest) quality optic for an AR project.

I have long been a Zeiss, Meopta and Swarovski guy.

Love Leupold but am not sure, dollar for dollar, they can compete with the Europeans.

AR is a 6.5 Grendel and looking to see if anyone has any experience with the Meopta Optika line, particularly the 2-10x42.

Do not want a big, heavy, overpowering scope.

Shots @ less than 200 yards.

Feedback if you have it, please.

Last edited:

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Not even remotely in that class or price range but I have been very pleased with the atibal scopes for an ar I have several 1-8, 1-6's and they just came out with a 1-12, it's pre-order right now, but I may try it. Decently newer company to the game but everything I have from them so far has been great. Based out of Arizona but a lot of their stuff is made in China. Not really what you asked for but a pretty good product based on using it for a year. Can't complain about the glass but it's definitely not zeiss. I've been on an atibal kick lately, i really like the reticle in the xp8

Albuds

Looking for a higher (not highest) quality optic for an AR project.

I have long been a Zeiss, Meopta and Swarovski guy.

Love Leupold but am not sure, dollar for dollar, they can compete with the Europeans.

AR is a 6.5 Grendel and looking to see if anyone has any experience with the Meopta Optika line, particularly the 2-10x42.

Do not want a big, heavy, overpowering scope.

Shots @ less than 200 yards.

Feedback if you have it, please.
Take a look at Delta Optical Titanium line of scopes. Highly rated, superb Japaneses glass and very reasonable pricing.

bman940

For sub 200 yards using the Optika5 2-10x42 or the Optika6 1-6x24 would be perfect. I have both and zero issues. The 2-10 can be tough to find right now, the 1-6x24 shouldn't be too hard to find. It didn't take Meopta long to have these scopes be discovered for the huge value that they are (quality over price).

Jim Boyd

@Evergreen and @Albuds

I did research the Atibal and Delta lines.

Without brand name recognition and without a lifetime warranty, I just cannot see straying from names I know.

I fell in love with ZenRay binos several years back - wonderful glass that I use to this day - but they are out of business.

No parts and no service, if it is ever needed.

I am juggling between Leupold, Meopta and Vortex right now.

Looks like Zeiss has veered away from the lower priced $400-800 scopes.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Jim Boyd

For sub 200 yards using the Optika5 2-10x42 or the Optika6 1-6x24 would be perfect. I have both and zero issues. The 2-10 can be tough to find right now, the 1-6x24 shouldn't be too hard to find. It didn't take Meopta long to have these scopes be discovered for the huge value that they are (quality over price).

I gotta say the very reasonably priced Optika5 in 2-10x42 is at the top of the list right now.

Like the price but I really want to buy once and cry once.

I have a new / never used Vortex 1-8x24 on another AR project but am not crazy about the reticle.

Would love to find a simple German # 4 but am not seeing one.

Would prefer FFP but that apparently does not happen in this lower price range.

thanks!

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
@Evergreen and @Albuds

I did research the Atibal and Delta lines.

Without brand name recognition and without a lifetime warranty, I just cannot see straying from names I know.

I fell in love with ZenRay binos several years back - wonderful glass that I use to this day - but they are out of business.

No parts and no service, if it is ever needed.

I am juggling between Leupold, Meopta and Vortex right now.

Looks like Zeiss has veered away from the lower priced $400-800 scopes.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Just to mention atibal does have a lifetime warranty, but I can't speak as to whether they will still be in business in 10 or 20 years. Good luck in your search

catch22

@Jim Boyd Mr Jim.....I know that there is "better" glass than Leupold....but my variX2's can see past legal shooting light about every evening I hunt good enough to identify and make a ethical shot....

That leaves me to ask the question.... just how much better glass do I need? If what I have can already take me past legal light.

They have also been extremely accurate as well

Jim Boyd

@Jim Boyd Mr Jim.....I know that there is "better" glass than Leupold....but my variX2's can see past legal shooting light about every evening I hunt good enough to identify and make a ethical shot....

That leaves me to ask the question.... just how much better glass do I need? If what I have can already take me past legal light.

They have also been extremely accurate as well

Please don’t take me wrong.

Leupold makes wonderful products with iron clad warranty.

They are genuinely serviceable and some of the stuff they offer is over-the-top excellent.

They rival most any glass maker in the world.

What I don’t think is that dollar for dollar, they can keep pace with other offerings.

I have tried all weekend to make Leupold be in the final list (and they are, sort of) but each time I weigh costs versus capabilities, they slip a little bit.

Leupold has wonderful brand loyalty and rightfully so.

Great question, sir.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I have both Zeiss and Leupold scopes. My 3.5X10 Leupold has made a couple of trips west for elk and is always mounted on one of my belted magnums.
When I got my Zeiss mounted I compared the two side by side. I was looking across the street into the woods and into a deeply shadowed spot. I absolutely could not tell one scope from the other.
I do think the Zeiss has slightly better glass and is a little sharper but that might be my imagination.
Bottom line is I would not hesitate buying another Leupold.

FWIW I have a rifle that needs a good scope and I'm considering a Meopta and if not that another brand of European scope. Why change? Just because I like the European scopes and want another.

Jim Boyd

I have both Zeiss and Leupold scopes. My 3.5X10 Leupold has made a couple of trips west for elk and is always mounted on one of my belted magnums.
When I got my Zeiss mounted I compared the two side by side. I was looking across the street into the woods and into a deeply shadowed spot. I absolutely could not tell one scope from the other.
I do think the Zeiss has slightly better glass and is a little sharper but that might be my imagination.
Bottom line is I would not hesitate buying another Leupold.

FWIW I have a rifle that needs a good scope and I'm considering a Meopta and if not that another brand of European scope. Why change? Just because I like the European scopes and want another.

Great observations.

It would matter greatly what range scope you were comparing.

Could not compare a high end Zeiss to a low end Leupold - or vice versa.

I had a 3-12x56 Conquest and it was simply sick on early and late deer. Basically, it was unfair.

Had a 3-12x56 Meostar also, it was equally unfair.

I have a low end 3-9x50 Leupold on my 7-08 now and have never felt challenged. It was maybe $300 and works great.

All scope mentioned are old now and glass, $ for $ has actually gotten better, I think.

Good luck, great options out there, sir!

Reactions: Dub

Darkhorse

I understand.
Really old, 40 years probably Leupold 3X9X40, Still a good clear scope.
Leupold 3.5X10X40 bought in 1996 for my .300 Win. Mag. Built in range finder. Anytime the range might be long this is the scope I use.

Zeiss 3X9X40 bought for my .308 maybe 10 to 15 years ago. Probably considered a low end scope.

Comparisons were made at both lower powers and higher powers.

Gaswamp

Darkhorse if you have a Zeiss Conquest by chance I believe that Meopta made the glass for it

Jim Boyd

I understand.
Really old, 40 years probably Leupold 3X9X40, Still a good clear scope.
Leupold 3.5X10X40 bought in 1996 for my .300 Win. Mag. Built in range finder. Anytime the range might be long this is the scope I use.

Zeiss 3X9X40 bought for my .308 maybe 10 to 15 years ago. Probably considered a low end scope.

Comparisons were made at both lower powers and higher powers.

That Zeiss may be a Conquest or it may be the slightly lower priced Terra line.

One was great and the other was very good.

Def very good glass.

Darkhorse

That was my understanding at the time when I was doing my obligatory research. I can't remember all the details as it was a long time ago. But the parts were made in Europe then shipped here for assembly.
It didn't matter to me as I had wanted this scope for a long time. The Tikka .308 just seemed like the perfect rifle for that scope.
Still does.

Jim Boyd

I ordered the Meopta 42 mm.

2-10.

Wanted basic simplicity and I would say most shots will be 5 to 100 yards.

I can’t recall the last time I shot > 100 yards.

Think it is a new line so I am sort of taking a chance.

I will post up an eval once I get to test / use it.

Got an AR mount and plenty of ammo inbound so it won’t be that long.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I bought my Zeiss prior to the Terra being released.

Jim Boyd

Got some 6.5 Grendel in - 123 gr Hornady SST.

Diminutive, at best.

Listed as almost 2600 fps and is .264 - thinking it may make a decent low recoil deer round.

I used a Mini 30 a few decades back and it was not a truly great performer.

8818A771-205F-403C-9E4C-7D9E429A8668.jpeg8572F8B2-3611-4535-BE61-E200ED71F855.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaswamp

yeah I had a Terra scope once it was dissappointing for a Zeiss