Mexico Beach in July

Gafiveo

I need some advice. The family and I are giong to be in the Mexico Beach/ Port St Joe area the week of July 11. We would like to do a guided fishing trip for a day while there. Just be 3 of us going out... me, the wife, and 10yoa son. We all fish and inshore fish regularly too, but they have never been offshore.

We have been to that area 4-5 times, so we are familiar with the area. Even once fished inshore there on our own boat for a couple of days. We are not able to bring the boat this time and have never done a guided trip there. I would like for my family to have a good and enjoyable experience with a guided trip.

What would y'all recommend? Would inshore or offshore be best during that time? Any guide recommendations for that area?

Thanks for the help!

Impact97

That's smack dab in the middle of Red Snapper season. Be prepared to pay through the nose (if you can get a charter), but you can kill some snappers then.

pottydoc

Bar Hoppin’ Charters with Captain Shawn. You need to get on the phone and start calling right now if you want to go with anyone. Summer is always busy, and as stated, red snapper season is open. I think you’re gonna have a hard time finding someone.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Capt. Kenny at Doghouse Charters out of Port St Joe

Gafiveo

Thanks guys. These plans just come about this week so I know I am behind on finding one..... but got to try ;)

kevbo3333

Congo charters will probably be your most cost effective charters. I recommend going on fishbooker.com and put your dates in to see who all has that date open then google them and call.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
That is right, slap dab, in the middle of the tarpon run. A half day trip might be fun, and the run is literally just minutes from the canal at Mexico Beach. While a 10 year old might not be able to handle these fish, the trip would be easier on him and odds are he will see some huge (typically 100lb plus) fish. You will have shots at the fish of your life time too. The black tips should be showing up by then....when my kid was that age, he loved to catch those.

Tight Lines

Get after it and you'll find one. Personally around there I would go bay boat or center console and fish for reds, maybe tarpon. You can go out and snapper fish but you have to get out quite a way...that's a bigger boat, longer trip, and more expensive.

How long do you want to go and what species do you want to target?

I've fished around St. George Island quite a bit for reds on bay boats, flats boats, etc. I enjoy that...

Also fished 12 hour charters out of MB for red snapper and grouper...

Just depends on what you want to do...availability of the captains may drive your choice. I texted my old captain but I think he hung it up after the hurricane...he was close to retiring anyway...

Will let you know if he responds...

Gafiveo

Thanks guys for the advice.....KS, we looking to do a whole day trip. As far as what we want to catch, it really don't matter.... we just would like to fish for whatever is biting best, inshore or offshore, and is good to eat... taking home some good meat to eat is the goal.:)

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Thanks guys for the advice.....KS, we looking to do a whole day trip. As far as what we want to catch, it really don't matter.... we just would like to fish for whatever is biting best, inshore or offshore, and is good to eat... taking home some good meat to eat is the goal.:)
Well, that takes tarpon out of the picture......with a kid, I believe I would opt for inshore simply because he might be prone to sea sickness (not to mention your wife or yourself if you have never been offshore), and there is nothing that will turn a kid against fishing than getting sea sick. Plus, the conditions are apt to change on a dime, and if you get white caps on an offshore trip, you, your kid, and anyone else who has not spent a lot of time on the water will not have an enjoyable trip. Heck, I do not even know how many offshore trips I have under my belt and rough seas in the GOM can make it uncomfortable for me.

Last edited:

Gafiveo

Update....I was able to get a trip with Congo charters. Doghouse was booked and almost everybody he knew was booked. We booked an offshore trip, but if weather or wind bad then captain said we can change it to inshore. We do a fair amount of local inshore fishing with our own boat so we wanted to do something a little different. Guess just have to wait to see what the weather/ wind going to allow us that day. Thanks greatly for all the help guys!