Mid Day Double

jmac7469

Well yesterday was one to remember for sure. Around 8 am struck one up and he was fired up, only a matter of minutes until he was basically in my lap. Pulled the trigger and shotgun bolt slaps closed, apparently when I racked the first shell in the morning she didn't shut all the way. So I watch as a huge tom runs away. Needless to say I was frustrated but whatever. Probably around 1030 ish i strike another bird in the same area I had called one in for dad on Sunday. Close the distance get set up and the bird goes quiet. Hour goes by and nothing. Retreat back to the trail and continue walking the east edge of a huge hardwood strand where I walk up on one longbeard and a jake they spot me about the time I see them and game over. Back to the truck go pull cards on some cameras and contemplate calling it a day, glad I didn't! After checking cameras on the west side of the property I come back to the east side where most of our turkeys tend to be, thanks to a 5000 acre solar farm that borders that side and is planted in various grasses for some reason, and also surrounded by a 12ft high fence. Great place for the turkeys to nest and zero predators as even birds of prey dont hunt through the solar panels. Anyway park the truck and start down a trail toward the farm make a few soft calls and a gobbler fires off within 80 yards, then another and another. Scramble to the only piece of okayish cover and barely have enough time to get the gun up before 2 stud toms are right in front of me. My turkey season ended with a single shot killing 2 absolute stud birds. 10 3/4 inch beard on one and 11 1/2 on the other. Im still in shock that it happened like that.

Attachments

• 20230321_131619.jpg
    20230321_131619.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230321_150925.jpg
    20230321_150925.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 44

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt ! Way to stay with it , congrats !

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Cool!
Sounds like it was in the cards for sure for you that mornin!!!

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Wow, that's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. What a way to start and end a season.