Mike Tomlin thinks the NFL needs more black coaches.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Mike Tomlin did an interview where he stated the NFL needs more black head coaches.

What I find interesting is that Mike Tomlin has no black assistant coaches coordinators on his coaching staff.

Mike Tomlin thinks black coaches should be hired and he does not hire black coordinators coaches.

I agree with Mike Tomlin's hiring practices. He hires who he thinks would be the best coach regardless of race.

I wonder why he doesn't practice what he preaches?

If race is just a "social construct", why does the race of a coach matter anyway?

Last edited:

Lilly001

Tomlin is a coach of a team that has a "woke" owner and management.
His statements are just drivel from a man who makes millions from playing along.
He will not jeopardize his success to be politically correct . But he will play the game in the press.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bullgator

Why does color have to be involved in everything?

If you are more qualified and have the experience for the job you should get the job no matter of color!
Exactly. I thought equality meant being color blind.......not quotas.

buckpasser

As it is, maybe he wants more black coaches (or fill in the blank with any particular race) because they will make easier competition for him vs teams just hiring the best coach they can?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Ol Jim is on a tangent...

But he’ll tell you he doesn’t follow any of this stuff....

But..............

Ummmmm.......

DannyW

Mike Tomlin did an interview where he stated the NFL needs more black head coaches.

What I find interesting is that Mike Tomlin has no black assistant coaches on his coaching staff.

Mike Tomlin thinks black coaches should be hired and he does not hire black coaches.

I agree with Mike Tomlin's hiring practices. He hires who he thinks would be the best coach regardless of race.

I wonder why he doesn't practice what he preaches?

If race is just a "social construct", why does the race of a coach matter anyway?

To begin, I don't agree with Tomlin's statements. Just so there is no misunderstanding about what I am going to say.

But if you google the Pittsburg Steelers coaching staff you will find that there are 9 black coaches...8 assistants plus Tomlin. I mention this out a sense of fairness, and so that everyone is aware before they repeat this information and get called out on it.

Sorry Jiminbogart, I'm sure you didn't intentionally post incorrect information, but I just feel like it's important to get the facts correct.

Pittsburgh Steelers Coaches

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
To begin, I don't agree with Tomlin's statements. Just so there is no misunderstanding about what I am going to say.

But if you google the Pittsburg Steelers coaching staff you will find that there are 9 black coaches...8 assistants plus Tomlin. I mention this out a sense of fairness, and so that everyone is aware before they repeat this information and get called out on it.

Sorry Jiminbogart, I'm sure you didn't intentionally post incorrect information, but I just feel like it's important to get the facts correct.

Pittsburgh Steelers Coaches

By "assistant coaches" I was referring to Tomlin's offensive and defensive coordinators.

In my mind an "assistant coach" is a coordinator.

A position coach is a coach.

I did some searching for the definition on NFL assistant coach(after your post) and the only thing I can find is "assistant head coach-coordinator".

I'll modify my original post nonetheless.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
BTW, why doesn't the NFL put in a Rooney Rule for players?

70+% of NFL players are black.

If we are using raced based hiring practices, 13+% of NFL players should be black.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Did some more searching and found this, so I'll hold that "L":

Almost every American football team has more than one coach. Including strength and conditioning coaches, the typical NFL team averages 15 assistant coaches.

ATLFalconsfan80

You know.... It is a "head scratcher" as to why Eric Bieniemy is not a HC somewhere....

Rumors went around as he is not a good interviewer..

@jiminbogart if a guy is as proven as he is, such as Bieniemy, and he comes up as a hot pick for a HC position multiple times, but is a terrible interviewer, do you still hire him?

I'm conflicted on it, on one hand he is proven to have a great offense, and this was proven before Patrick. On the other hand if he cant get through a sit down with the owner and GM and President of the team, how will he handle himself negatively when the press starts pressing him...

Whitefeather

Management Material
You know.... It is a "head scratcher" as to why Eric Bieniemy is not a HC somewhere....

Rumors went around as he is not a good interviewer..

@jiminbogart if a guy is as proven as he is, such as Bieniemy, and he comes up as a hot pick for a HC position multiple times, but is a terrible interviewer, do you still hire him?

I'm conflicted on it, on one hand he is proven to have a great offense, and this was proven before Patrick. On the other hand if he cant get through a sit down with the owner and GM and President of the team, how will he handle himself negatively when the press starts pressing him...

1. Bienemy is the heir apparent for a team with the best young QB in the NFL. Why go somewhere that ruins that opportunity.

2. Andy Reid is the offensive play caller except in the red zone

3. Look at the Chiefs offensive numbers. They really aren’t that great. They are like 12th in scoring and total offense. The Chiefs are winning because of Patrick Mahomes, not Eric Bienemy

ATLFalconsfan80

1. Bienemy is the heir apparent for a team with the best young QB in the NFL. Why go somewhere that ruins that opportunity.

2. Andy Reid is the offensive play caller except in the red zone

3. Look at the Chiefs offensive numbers. They really aren’t that great. They are like 12th in scoring and total offense. The Chiefs are winning because of Patrick Mahomes, not Eric Bienemy

alot of what you said is to be true, Andy Reid does call the plays but the script of the game falls in Erics lap. Andy has always called offensive plays, even in Philly.

And they was 1st in total YPG (415.8)
1st in passing YPG (303.4)
16th in Rushing YPG (112.4)
6th in points per game (29.6)

Average those up and their 6th total offense

2020 NFL Team Total Offense Stats | ESPN

And to the point of saying the only reason why KC is winning is because of Patrick Mahomes is an opinion... And my opinion to yours is... "To heck with it, Tyreek down there somehwhere":bounce::bounce:
EP4H1AoX0AM1jRI.jpg

Whitefeather

Management Material
alot of what you said is to be true, Andy Reid does call the plays but the script of the game falls in Erics lap. Andy has always called offensive plays, even in Philly.

And they was 1st in total YPG (415.8)
1st in passing YPG (303.4)
16th in Rushing YPG (112.4)
6th in points per game (29.6)

Average those up and their 6th total offense

2020 NFL Team Total Offense Stats | ESPN

And to the point of saying the only reason why KC is winning is because of Patrick Mahomes is an opinion... And my opinion to yours is... "To heck with it, Tyreek down there somehwhere":bounce::bounce:
View attachment 1069956
Didn’t say he was the only reason they are winning. Let’s not forget about Travis Kelce either.

My point was that Bienemy is not a head coach because he’s a minority. It’s more of why he’s not a head coach

ATLFalconsfan80

Didn’t say he was the only reason they are winning. Let’s not forget about Travis Kelce either.

My point was that Bienemy is not a head coach because he’s a minority. It’s more of why he’s not a head coach

Kelce is a beast!! :bounce::bounce:

And no I agree with you, I don't think he's not a HC because he's a minority either...I had read several things about him not being a good interviewer. That's where I'm conflicted

Eric Bieniemy reportedly struggles in interview with the Falcons - SportsTalkATL.com

A quote from the piece on Bieniemy:

[The Falcons] literally want to hire a Black coach. They would love for him to crush the interview. He did not crush the interview, and these teams care a lot about these interviews.​