Missing 411: The Hunted

ssramage

Has anyone ever watched this on Amazon Prime? All stories of hunters who went out in the woods and vanished. Started watching it last night. It's pretty interesting, but take my advice and don't watch with your significant other. My wife is thoroughly freaked out now.

YankeeRedneck

I will be! I have the book and it's a really great read.
Dave does a fantastic job on these books.
The guy missing in rural Georgia is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard.

ssramage

Finished the movie last night. Most of it was pretty good until he started getting into the alien/paranormal stuff at the end...

LonePine

Finished the movie last night. Most of it was pretty good until he started getting into the alien/paranormal stuff at the end...

Watched it this morning and have to agree. First hour was great but kind of went off the rails for the last 30 minutes. Wish he had spent time trying to tie all the disappearances together and give some thoughts on his theory of what might be happening.

YankeeRedneck

Watched it this morning and have to agree. First hour was great but kind of went off the rails for the last 30 minutes. Wish he had spent time trying to tie all the disappearances together and give some thoughts on his theory of what might be happening.
He never gives an theory of what is happening. If you have ever heard him on the radio or watch his YouTube channel he doesn't talk about that.
He has only put together these stories and found many things that are common in them.

GreenPig

I agree, there is never any real payoff at the end.

I've listened to many a podcast with him, but I felt like the show fell kinda flat.

I am fascinated by his stuff though.

He kinda looks like Curt Russell.

What do you think is up with people's shoes being found, or the missing being found without shoes?

You have any thoughts?

That seems to be a common thread in a lot of these cases.
Folks in the final stages of hypothermia start feeling hot as the nerves are freezing and remove clothing.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
The story of Dennis Martin vanishing in the GSMNP is real freaky. Here is a good vid that details the events.

YankeeRedneck

I agree, there is never any real payoff at the end.

I've listened to many a podcast with him, but I felt like the show fell kinda flat.

I am fascinated by his stuff though.

He kinda looks like Curt Russell.

What do you think is up with people's shoes being found, or the missing being found without shoes?

You have any thoughts?

That seems to be a common thread in a lot of these cases.
Well it certainly is strange for sure I don't have a clue. But it is a common piece to these stories.Like the VERY experienced hiker with all the safety gear found all busted up and missing his boots.
His feet were all tore up!

YankeeRedneck

The story of Dennis Martin vanishing in the GSMNP is real freaky. Here is a good vid that details the events.

Wow what a story I had heard that one but i loved the way it was presented.Funny how the weather always turns bad after an incident. Thanks for posting this.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I was going to post about this a week or two ago and just never did. I watched the movie recently myself and it was pretty entertaining. It’s a pretty interesting way to spend and hour and a half or two hours, whatever it ended up being. But Inwoukd caution those who take this all that seriously. I mean people go missing in the woods. We all know that. We all know that outside of ordinary danger like getting snake bit or if you’re in bear country the outside chance of getting attacked by a bear exists, we know that people are what you really have to watch for out there. But before anybody gets all that concerned about David Paulides’ movie and what it potentially suggests, they need to know a little about Paulides himself.

I first heard about this guy about five years ago. I was reading something about some hunters goi big missing and it lead me to a two hour interview with him on Coast To Coast AM. I had never heard of the show so I didn’t know it was totally dedicated to weird topics and catered to an oddball audience, sorry for anybody that likes it. Anyway, over the course of the two hours Paulides explained how he went from being a retired police detective to investigating and writing books and making movies about people who go missing in the woods.

One thing I’ll say for this guy, he spins a good yarn and he’s pretty good at what he does which is draw people in and make subtle suggestions and then getting out of the way. More on that in a bit. It’s important to know who you are dealing with any time somebody tries to sell you something. This particular guy touts his years as a police detective specializing in missing persons cases. He leaves out the fact that while he was on the force he got in some hot water for running a scam that centered around celebrity autographs. That’s red flag number one. Paulides has also written a book about Bigfoot in the past before he ever moved on to this. That’s worth considering. But the way he lays out a case for what he presents as very mysterious and troubling bears some serious examination.

It’s interesting that Paulides presents a set of criteria for what has to be present to be considered one of these cases. Among the commonalities in these stories are the person almost always has some sort of malady, whether they just can’t get around like they used to or have diabetes or something. He suggests that whatever is “taking” these people is consciously choosing people with some sort of weakness. A more practical way of looking at that would be that it makes sense that most people who go missing would be people who are limited in some way. He also makes a big deal out of the fact that these cases are always followed by some sort of weather event. Lots of rain, snow etc. Again, the suggestion is that whatever is responsible knows bad weather is coming and is using it to its advantage. Doesn’t it make sense that when people go missing it is usually during bad weather?

It’s funny to me that people view the fact that Paulides won’t make a claim one way or the other as to what is behind the disappearances as something that bolsters his credibility. I tend to think the opposite. I think he’s intentionally being very careful not to plant a foot on any definite theory as a way to avoid having the whole thing picked apart. He also is pretty clever in the way that he makes very slight suggestions that something very strange is going on but then gets out of the way and let’s the audience’s imagination run wild. Pretty old truck used by hustlers all the time. In the movie there is also the use of muted lighting and ever so subtle spooky music to make the whole thing seen more ominous. It’s funny if you can spot it. There have been family members of some of these missing folks that have come forward and said Paulides took a lot of liberty with the story to make it seem more mysterious.

Last but not least, David Paulides is knee deep in the Bigfoot topic. He avoids talking about it directly, ‘cause he wants to sell books and movies and he can’t pin himself down to too narrow of an audience. But he has written a book on the subject, and he currently ha gd around with two Bigfoot hucksters, Scott Carpenter and Steve Isdahl. In the case of Carpenter, a quick YouTube search will show anybody what a weirdo this guy is. He walks around in the woods with a camera and draws circles around pictures of bushes and shadows swearing that it’s a picture of Bigfoot. He has some whacko theory that Bigfoot are fallen angels or the descendants of fallen angels that mated with humans. He’s crazy. With Isdahl, he’s not crazy, he’s just a rank opportunist. He’s a Canadian big game hunting guide, fishing guide, and purveyor of a YouTube channel called howtohunt.com. His hunting content is actually pretty good and it is how I first knew about him. He had plateaued at around thirty thousand subscribers so he decided to try talking about Bigfoot. Pretty soon the number of subscribers was over a hundred thousand and it was all Bigfoot all the time and the stories got wilder and wilder. Nuff said.

Finally there is Paulides’ inclusion of Ron Moorhead in this movie. Moorhead is a rich guy who is best known for writing some crazy Bigfoot book called Quantum Bigfoot where he pushes this theory that Bigfoot travels through portals between this world and others. And he put out some recordings that he and his buddies supposedly got from their hunting camp one night. The recordings are included in the movie. Supposedly these sounds were analyzed by linguists and were revealed to be some sort of language. I have no doubt that can be done by people who are experts in that area. The problem is when it is stated as fact that these sounds could not have been made by a human and through analysis it was determined whatever made them had to have been in excess of seven feet tall and over four hundred pounds. In the recording the hunters are mimicking the sounds.?

I’m done trashing the movie. It’s fine for some entertainment but it trumped and exaggerated stuff brought forward by a known con man who hangs out with weirdos.

Latest posts