More deer in NC test positive for CWD

Sixes

You mean a SECOND deer. When you title it more, is sounds like a bunch of them tested positive.

What is worse, a deer getting CWD or the DNR taking out 28 deer just to test them. Not telling how many more were killed just to be tested

cowhornedspike

You mean a SECOND deer. When you title it more, is sounds like a bunch of them tested positive.

What is worse, a deer getting CWD or the DNR taking out 28 deer just to test them. Not telling how many more were killed just to be tested

Now you know who writes the click bait headlines for yahoo and facebook :)

Bad news for us in GA as it is getting closer...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Gonna have to hire about 10 more biologists to study it

Sixes

I do not want it here, but it will eventually get into the state if it's not already here, because it will be transported across the state line.

There is no point in being doom and gloom about that fact and trying to cause a big stir by your writing style.

lampern

I do not want it here, but it will eventually get into the state if it's not already here, because it will be transported across the state line.

There is no point in being doom and gloom about that fact and trying to cause a big stir by your writing style.

Its 'doom and gloom' because the state puts restrictions on hunting where CWD is found. All states.

I guarantee you Mr Killmaster el al will do just such in Georgia.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Its 'doom and gloom' because the state puts restrictions on hunting where CWD is found. All states.

I guarantee you Mr Killmaster el al will do just such in Georgia.

The only restriction we are really proposing in a CWD zone is the same carcass transport restriction we have for out of state deer.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
So no mandatory testing?

What seems to bother hunters 1) mandatory testing 2) carcass restrictions

You don't know what hunters want.

RatherB

BANNED
The only restriction we are really proposing in a CWD zone is the same carcass transport restriction we have for out of state deer.

I thought I had heard that likely baiting would be stopped in the CWD zone if /when established in GA. Did that idea go away or am I just not remembering correctly.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I thought I had heard that likely baiting would be stopped in the CWD zone if /when established in GA. Did that idea go away or am I just not remembering correctly.

There are currently no plans to ban it, probably more likely will be some sort of BMPs given. When baiting was legalized the legislature gave the department authority to restrict it during a disease outbreak, that's probably what you're remembering.

lampern

There are currently no plans to ban it, probably more likely will be some sort of BMPs given. When baiting was legalized the legislature gave the department authority to restrict it during a disease outbreak, that's probably what you're remembering.

Mineral licks= baiting?

Sixes

There is a big difference in voluntary testing vs killing numerous deer looking for samples. The population will be greatly affected by slaughtering the deer out of an area looking for one example.

You are not going to stop the interaction of deer unless you stop all natural food sources (acorns, soft mast, browse), food plots, baiting and breeding.

Plus, deer are social animals, if you hunted them, you would see the interaction of licking one another, nose rubbing one another and heads down eating food together. You can't stop that.

Maybe we can put up signs at the feeders and oak trees stating "Please remain 6 feet apart and/or wear a mask while in contact with other deer"

lampern

There is a big difference in voluntary testing vs killing numerous deer looking for samples.

Deer are already being "slaughtered" in the name of depredation

Why is CWD sampling/sharp shooting any different?