More deer tags????

PappyHoel

People have to feed their family. It should be doubled

shdw633

I don't know anybody who harvest 12 deer. But, for those who eat the deer they kill,and have the ability to shoot 12 legally in the process, I have no problem with it.

Every highly populated county in this state (Bibb, Fulton,,,etc) is either sex the entire deer season. Deer vehicle collisions are a real problem. And farmers can shoot as many deer as they want.

"My family of 4 meat consumption is mostly wild game . 4 or 5 deer last from season to season . no way does it take 12 "

You do realize there are people, both single and families, that do not buy from the grocery store. They raise their own food, and shoot their own game. I don't think your blanket statement carries much weight.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Without fail, every time the limit is discussed the first argument in favor of it is "Nobody kills that many does." If that is true, there is no need for the limit to be that high, and nobody will be upset if it is reduced.

Im all for no personal limits and regional quotas. Tags issued one at a time. Kill one, report it (we all know that we are capable of reporting deer now), buy another. When quota is met, no more tags. Wanna kill a buncha deer, do it quick. If you have so many that you need to "thin the herd" it really shouldn't be a problem. If it takes you a more than a few hunts to see a deer, your herd don't need thinning. Seem like a logical way to meet everybody's needs while also being responsible on a regional level.

I don't see how else to address the argument in favor of individual freedom while also recognizing that the ownership of the resource is shared. Erybody wins.

transfixer

While I realize some counties , especially those in south ga agricultural areas, have a robust deer population, a good many counties in the piedmont region that receive a lot of hunting pressure do not, including most of the mountain area counties. For those counties if we continue to harvest deer with no thought of the future, it won't be long before seeing a deer will be an event worth noting, instead of something common place, I believe DNR needs to look at the counties that receive a lot of hunting pressure and reduce the limit for those counties, not that it will stop those hunters who believe its their right to shoot whatever they choose. but maybe it will help somewhat .

Case in point, we had a member in our club last season who previously hunted a couple hundred acres in Banks county with a friend, he admitted that he and his buddy were of the " brown its down" type hunters, they hunted that property about 3yrs, killing whatever they choose to pull the trigger on, then the last year they weren't seeing any deer, so they let the property go, he tried to say it was because kids were riding 4 wheelers through the woods and run the deer off, he simply wasn't intelligent enough to realize if you kill the majority of animals in the area, there will be nothing left to re-populate,,,,

and no,, he is no longer in our club, once we realized the type hunter he was, he was out.

Lilly001

If this change means that the professionals at DNR can manage the heard as science dictates, I'm all for it.
I have always felt that managing the doe harvest is the key. Bucks are just a bonus.
Some areas should have no doe harvest while some need 12. Most are in the middle somewhere.

buckpasser

shdw633

I’d imagine how many they “do” breed and “can” breed are different. Put one buck in a fence with 20 does and I’m betting everybody drops fawns come green up time.

According to the report, they don't have the time due to the time they spend with the does before they go out of estrous. If a doe is in estrous cycle for a week and a buck spends 2 to 3 days with each doe before they breed her then he can do 2 to 3 does per cycle which would mean in a 3 month period of time you would be looking at 6 to 9 of the 20 does being bred. One of the studies performed was on fenced deer as well I believe. I am pretty sure that's why you see does without fawns every year, though I do realize that fawns do die I have many camera pics of a group of does where only one or two even look pregnant and those does go on to have fawns while the others are still without within the group.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
According to the report, they don't have the time due to the time they spend with the does before they go out of estrous. If a doe is in estrous cycle for a week and a buck spends 2 to 3 days with each doe before they breed her then he can do 2 to 3 does per cycle which would mean in a 3 month period of time you would be looking at 6 to 9 of the 20 does being bred. One of the studies performed was on fenced deer as well I believe. I am pretty sure that's why you see does without fawns every year, though I do realize that fawns do die I have many camera pics of a group of does where only one or two even look pregnant and those does go on to have fawns while the others are still without within the group.

Every doe that can get bred, will get bred. In the absence of competition bucks have plenty of time. They do it in Texas all the time, 1 buck in a pen with 20 does then they open the gate once the does are bred.

buckpasser

I agree that in the wild they don’t have time. While they are tending one doe (24 to 48 hours in my experience), if there were another doe in the same block that was hot, she’d make other arrangements. If she had no other options, and he missed her heat, she’d come back in later. Unless they all hit on the same couple of days (the rut in my area is not well defined) he could get to quite a few of them. I’m not too sure he’d even tend them as exclusively as they do in the wild in my fence scenario, unless it was a mighty big enclosure. I believe that very few does go unbred around here. I think most of the ones that are loners fed their little ones to the yotes in June.

shdw633

Every doe that can get bred, will get bred. In the absence of competition bucks have plenty of time. They do it in Texas all the time, 1 buck in a pen with 20 does then they open the gate once the does are bred.

In what time frame? We know does can be bred as long as they come in estrous, so are you giving that buck four to six months or more to accomplish that task? My original post and link were to wild deer as well, not fenced and I still believe that a wild buck will only sire around 3 or 4 fawns per year as there are more than just QDMA studies that have shown that.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
In what time frame? We know does can be bred as long as they come in estrous, so are you giving that buck four to six months or more to accomplish that task? My original post and link were to wild deer as well, not fenced and I still believe that a wild buck will only sire around 3 or 4 fawns per year as there are more than just QDMA studies that have shown that.

I'm agreeing with you and Buckpasser as both scenarios are true. In a mixed population with plenty of bucks and does individual bucks will only sire 3 to 4 fawns, but if you put 1 buck in a pen with 20 does they will all get bred.

Not that I would ever recommend such a program, but Texas has what they call DMP that allows landowners to capture 20 does and put them in a pen with one buck for several months and then release them.

https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/privatelands/permitDMPHelp.seam?cid=1771

cowhornedspike

I still believe that a wild buck will only sire around 3 or 4 fawns per year

Yes, because he is not the only buck around... all the does still get bred but by other bucks while he is busy keeping her to himself and away from other bucks. If he were the only one there then he would sire more than 3-4 even in the wild.