More London broil

ambush80

I pulled out another package of beef my sister gave me and it turned out to be another London broil. Apparently, she gave me all of hers because she said she doesn't know what to do with it. I have to admit I don't know many other uses for it than grilling it and slicing it thin. It ate swell with some cowboy beans and bacon cabbage. Made for a weirdly monochromatic plate. I'm feeling surprisingly spry for having eaten so much, so fast.
20231214_180210.jpg20231214_180720.jpg

20231214_183303.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
20231214_180720.jpg
That looks delicious! I haven't done one of those in a long, long time. You're flinging a craving on me now.

GT90

I pulled out another package of beef my sister gave me and it turned out to be another London broil. Apparently, she gave me all of hers because she said she doesn't know what to do with it. I have to admit I don't know many other uses for it than grilling it and slicing it thin. It ate swell with some cowboy beans and bacon cabbage. Made for a weirdly monochromatic plate. I'm feeling surprisingly spry for having eaten so much, so fast.
View attachment 1276177View attachment 1276178

View attachment 1276179
I usually marinate a LB to help break it down a bit. Nice cook on yours. Looks good.

pjciii

That looks great. I usually Marinade in straight Lee & Perrin and lots of garlic at least overnight.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great. I usually Marinade in straight Lee & Perrin and lots of garlic at least overnight.
Dry red wine is good in a LB marinade, too.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I could never make the ones I've done tender without over cooking.

WaltL1

A marinade definitely helps. More importantly, don't cook passed med-rare and cut thinly across the grain.
Yep.
Its not a glamorous steak but when done right its a pretty darn good hunk of meat and one of the more affordable cuts.
I marinade 24 hours, slap it on the screaming hot cast iron for a couple minutes on each side while basting. Let it rest and feast.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always threatened to try cooking one like a brisket flat, and see how it turns out.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've always threatened to try cooking one like a brisket flat, and see how it turns out.
Something I've found out buying really cheap meat at the International markets (6 buck a pound rib eyes and 5 for T bones) is that if one sprinkles it down with any "pineapple extract" then puts it in a vac seal for a few days, any tough piece of meat will turn as tender as loin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Something I've found out buying really cheap meat at the International markets (6 buck a pound rib eyes and 5 for T bones) is that if one sprinkles it down with any "pineapple extract" then puts it in a vac seal for a few days, any tough piece of meat will turn as tender as loin.
Yeah, pineapple will start digesting you mouth if you chew on a chunk of it too long.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah, pineapple will start digesting you mouth if you chew on a chunk of it too long.
Ever see someone "try" to eat a whole pineapple? It can't be done, before one get's 1/2 way done his mouth is so sore he can't eat for a week.

ambush80

I've tried lowing and slowing a London broil. Seems to dry out even when braised. Not enough fat, I guess. I've taken an eye of round, which is similarly lean, and smoked it for like an hour til rare. Hooo Boi!!!!! That makes some fine roast beef when warm, thinly sliced, served with au jus and horseyraddish cream, and it's amazing next day for cold cuts. I heavily crust it with super coarse black pepper glued on with Dijon mustard.

Been looking into "London Broil" and it turns out it's not a particular muscle, but the hot, fast method of barely cooking well marinated tough meat. I read that sometimes flank steak is called London Broil but flank steak isn't cheap anymore.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I read that sometimes flank steak is called London Broil but flank steak isn't cheap anymore.
Everything we used to buy cheap (because no one wanted them) have gone through the roof price wise because of all of the cook'n/travel shows tell'n everyone how great they are.

ambush80

Everything we used to buy cheap (because no one wanted them) have gone through the roof price wise because of all of the cook'n/travel shows tell'n everyone how great they are.
I blame Anthony Bourdain. By the way, Hanger Steak tastes like poop and is tough as saddle leather. Don't no one should eat it. If you've mistakenly bought one, send it to me and I'll have it incinerated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I blame Anthony Bourdain. By the way, Hanger Steak tastes like poop and is tough as saddle leather. Don't no one should eat it. If you've mistakenly bought one, send it to me and I'll have it incinerated.
I liked ol' Tony. I blame BBQ Pitmasters for the ungodly price increase on brisket and such. And send the hangar steak to me, not you.