Mountain bucks to remember

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I assume your sitting down:

The primos shooting stick will probably be to tall for the boys.

I bought the shortest one and it was border line if I had to shoot down hill. Steep downhill it was a no go. That was several years ago.

All I can say is practice. I mainly use them for shooting yotes in patures where the shot might be more than 50 yards. It took some getting used too. To be able to pick them and the rifle up and reposition quickly. Had a learning curve.

naaron

What an awesome hunt. I dont want to harp on you but might be worth tying an orange bandanna or something on the rack when packing out, there are some trigger happy fools out there

tree cutter 08

What an awesome hunt. I dont want to harp on you but might be worth tying an orange bandanna or something on the rack when packing out, there are some trigger happy fools out there
I usually have a spare orange vest for that very reason! Sorta like walking around with a bullseye on your back!

tree cutter 08

I assume your sitting down:

The primos shooting stick will probably be to tall for the boys.

I bought the shortest one and it was border line if I had to shoot down hill. Steep downhill it was a no go. That was several years ago.

All I can say is practice. I mainly use them for shooting yotes in patures where the shot might be more than 50 yards. It took some getting used too. To be able to pick them and the rifle up and reposition quickly. Had a learning curve.
The oldest is about stong enough to shoot without a rest. The youngest just isn't there yet. If hunting alone I don't carry one, I just brace off my knees for a long shot or shoot offhanded at closer distances. I've learned Squirrel hunting as about as good as practice as you can get!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:clap:

Back40hunter

I haven't realized until this year how hard it is to get a young Hunter on game and be able to get a shot. You really have to fine tune a setup. Sitting on the ground just makes it that much more interesting. The biggest thing I have run into is having to use shooting sticks. They are not the greatest setup for a kid where terrain comes into play. When you set the height for one spot it's either to long or short if you have to shoot any other directions. Any ideas on a better shooting stick? In both cases we had to get positioned nearly 90 to 180 degrees for a shot. All while the deers moving in.
Tree cutter, have you even seen a Knee Pod? If the young fellow is sitting on the ground and a Trigger Stick is too tall then the Knee Pod could work. I’ve got one but I’ve only used it in a tree stand. Check it out and see what you think

brdyhll

Great story. Thank you for sharing. Those are some awesome deer. Pictures and memories. The last one being the most important. Always heard if your teach your kids to hunt you won’t have to hunt your kids. Congrats to all involved and I can’t wait till my boys get some too

Killer Kyle

Such an incredible amount of time, effort, and skill is involved when hunting mountain deer. Getting to young men on mature bucks back to back like that is an achievement of a lifetime! I absolutely could not be more proud of you and your boys Cutter. These are the moments that make life worth living!!!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Congrats brother, nothing like those Mtn. bucks....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
What an amazing day y’all had! Good on ya cutter for doing it right! Good looking kids ya got there........lucky ones too(to have you)!
It brings inner joy to know that the future is still bright, with MEN like you raising kids ?