Mountain trout late season

asmooth13

Regarding your other questions ... if yer fishing within the Chattahoochee National Forest UDAP or another brand of bear spray would be prudent to have on your person, ideally chest level at the ready. Much of this National Forest you might fish in is a Georgia WMA and so carrying a firearm outside of hunting season without a hunting license could land you in a bind. If you carry for protection be aware of this and be discreet.

If you are wanting to be away from people you are going to have to hike a bit. Essentially any water near a road has people. Day visitors to full timers. I was amazed at the setups some have in the forest. I definitely got the impression some camps were not following the 14 day maximum then move on rule. (I think it is 14 days) The weekends will be choked full of people, much less during the week.

Big spray, rain gear, first aid kit, water purifier, snake jook, etc.are all excellent inclusions to take with you. There is some gorgeous scenery to bask in up in that forest. Enjoy your time. Oh and pay attention to the radar - the rain can dump a lot and raise the water levels quickly.

This is useful information, thank you.

I honestly didn't think bear would be a problem.
At the same time; I will be in unfamiliar territory, I will be alone, and probably nearly impossible to find if there is any trouble.

I will take heed to your advice; and I'll get some bear repellent.

asmooth13

I know.
Thought my first post was complementary, along with a side joke. Hence the ::ke: emoji. ?

The backstory: There was a store near Buford Dam called, interestingly enough, "The Dam Store".

They sold 5 - 7 in trout for striper bait.
It was a running joke back in the old days.

I like to Trout fish as much as the next guy.

Sorry if I had sounded upset, really wasn't.

Just didn't want the thread to go totally off the cliff/rails.

Thanks for the backstory.

I'm really enjoying everyone's contributions so far.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is useful information, thank you.

I honestly didn't think bear would be a problem.
At the same time; I will be in unfamiliar territory, I will be alone, and probably nearly impossible to find if there is any trouble.

I will take heed to your advice; and I'll get some bear repellent.
I've been fishing the Smokies for nearly half a century. We have the highest population density of bears in the Lower 48. And, there is no hunting in the park, so they have no fear of humans. I have never had a sketchy encounter with a bear myself in all those years while fishing. But, they have killed a couple folks here over the last couple decades.

asmooth13

I've been fishing the Smokies for nearly half a century. We have the highest population density of bears in the Lower 48. And, there is no hunting in the park, so they have no fear of humans. I have never had a sketchy encounter with a bear myself in all those years while fishing. But, they have killed a couple folks here over the last couple decades.

Didn't realize they are as plentiful as you describe.
Sounds like there will more than likely be at least one encounter; over the course of 5 days.

transfixer

I've never fished the area of the state that you are talking about, least not that I can remember, I've trout fished in Ga since I was a teenager, but mostly around the Blairsville, Blue Ridge, Cleveland and Dahlonega area, but all the advice you've gotten so far applies most anywhere up there, as long as there aren't any special restrictions on a particular stream in that area, (you can find that info on the DNR website if there are ) you can also use anything from whole kernel corn to crickets, dough belly stockers will hit a variety of things,

Rabun

Rabun has a good many bears. For the most part they are very shy....those used to people are much more brazen/dangerous. If you run into one in the wilderness feel lucky and observe...most people have never seen a bear in the woods. You see one in the camp ground Be mindful. And never ever have food in your tent.

If you want to hike in a bit wildcat creek road is still closed and a 4-5 mile hike will get you in some serious back country with some decent water to explore.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't realize they are as plentiful as you describe.
Sounds like there will more than likely be at least one encounter; over the course of 5 days.
National Forest bears are usually scared to death of humans. The National Park bears are a different critter. I wouldn't worry at all on a national forest.

Old Yapper

National Forest bears are usually scared to death of humans. The National Park bears are a different critter. I wouldn't worry at all on a national forest.
Rambling comments, etc. etc.....
I remember as a Boy Scout camping at Winfield Scott. Must've been around 1952.
Bears were seen daily by us...but they were always going the other way in a hurry too.
More people up there now and the bears have become used to easy feeds and aren't afraid to make a move toward people, I guess.
By the way, does that bear spray stuff work on dogs that might try to rush you when walking? My wife is terrified of walking in the neighborhood now after being closely threatened by a couple of loose pit bulldogs. She froze and one of them came close to attacking.
She carries a pistol legally but is worried about all the lawsuits or a bullet going through a savage dog and hitting a child or someone's house. I told her I'd inquire about the bear spray and its effectiveness.
Your knowledgeable advice please sir?

asmooth13

Rabun has a good many bears. For the most part they are very shy....those used to people are much more brazen/dangerous. If you run into one in the wilderness feel lucky and observe...most people have never seen a bear in the woods. You see one in the camp ground Be mindful. And never ever have food in your tent.

If you want to hike in a bit wildcat creek road is still closed and a 4-5 mile hike will get you in some serious back country with some decent water to explore.

I definitely planned on keeping any food sealed, and away from my sleeping area.
As well was any wrappers/trash with any food smell on it.
Even thought about throwing a rope over a tree limb; to suspend anything that might smell good about 10' up.

Thank you so much for pointing me in a general direction!
That sounds like the experience I want.
I may have to check this area first.

I also have the DNR mobile map of Chattahoochee national forest.
It should keep me somewhat on track.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rambling comments, etc. etc.....
I remember as a Boy Scout camping at Winfield Scott. Must've been around 1952.
Bears were seen daily by us...but they were always going the other way in a hurry too.
More people up there now and the bears have become used to easy feeds and aren't afraid to make a move toward people, I guess.
By the way, does that bear spray stuff work on dogs that might try to rush you when walking? My wife is terrified of walking in the neighborhood now after being closely threatened by a couple of loose pit bulldogs. She froze and one of them came close to attacking.
She carries a pistol legally but is worried about all the lawsuits or a bullet going through a savage dog and hitting a child or someone's house. I told her I'd inquire about the bear spray and its effectiveness.
Your knowledgeable advice please sir?
Yeah, I would think bear spray would work on pitbulls. Ammonia in a squirt gun worked pretty good on vicious dogs when I was a teenager on a bicycle. :)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah, I would think bear spray would work on pitbulls. Ammonia in a squirt gun worked pretty good on vicious dogs when I was a teenager on a bicycle. :)
That and / or a 3 foot piece of garden hose.

Rabun

I definitely planned on keeping any food sealed, and away from my sleeping area.
Even thought about throwing a rope over a tree limb; to suspend anything that might smell good about 10' up.

You’ll loose cell service up there unless you get on a ridge. Good thing is WC road runs basically East to west and crosses the AT running south to north. Your main issue will be staying dry. One of the wettest climates in the country. Looking forward to hearing about your exploits

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

I would not camp in bear country without hanging all the food and smelly stuff from a tree, several yards away from where I was sleeping, if I were unable to secure it in a cooler, in a vehicle.

asmooth13

You’ll loose cell service up there unless you get on a ridge. Good thing is WC road runs basically East to west and crosses the AT running south to north. Your main issue will be staying dry. One of the wettest climates in the country. Looking forward to hearing about your exploits

I will let everyone know how it went.

There's been too much helpful information shared; not to let everyone know. :)

My departure has been delayed by one day, but I plan on heading out Sunday morning.

asmooth13

I would not camp in bear country without hanging all the food and smelly stuff from a tree, several yards away from where I was sleeping, if I were unable to secure it in a cooler, in a vehicle.

Thanks Bubba!

I really appreciate the confirmation.

I thought it might've been overkill, but your assurance let's me know I should.

asmooth13

Since everyone is being so dang helpful.

I planned on packing a tent to keep supplies in (Other than smelly good stuff.), and a hammock tent to sleep in.

Does the hammock tent sound like a bad idea for any reason?

I've never used one.

I know there's several types. I was eye balling the type with a rain fly, and skeeter net.

Rabun

You’ll get varying opinions on the hammock. I personally like them in warmer weather. Others will refer to them as a bear burrito. Use what your comfortable with and you can tweak for next time. Looking forward to seeing your camp

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I would have a compass and map as a back up (you can buy a CNF map at any of the USFS offices up there), but I would not rely on the DNR map since it requires cell service as previously mentioned. Get a subscription to OnX and download maps if you want to use your phone.

asmooth13

I would have a compass and map as a back up (you can buy a CNF map at any of the USFS offices up there), but I would not rely on the DNR map since it requires cell service as previously mentioned. Get a subscription to OnX and download maps if you want to use your phone.

I agree.

It's a great idea to bring a paper map.

I always have a compass when I'm in big woods (As a Land Surveyor, I'd feel naked without one.).

The area will be new to me, so I'll make sure to pick one up.

I also have an app that doesn't require internet signal, only gps.

Can't be totally reliant on the technology, that's fine sure!

Thank You.