My dog has gotten old on me

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
He'll turn 10 in January. I'm praying to get this season and hopefully next even if it's limited out of him. He still loves to hunt so much but I can see him slowing down. This was Sunday morning.

View attachment 992844

He's probably thinking the same about you bro !!! Enjoy your time with him !

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Arrow3, I wish you and your dog as many more hunts as you possibly have together.

When I got back from the service in a December long ago, our bird dog, an English Pointer, was 11. The first time I worked the action on the model 12, he started acting like a teenager. We went out for half a day walk about hunt. At the end he had found 5 coveys and retrieved my limit of birds but I had to pick him up to put him in the truck because he couldn't make it. He just stood ther shivering. But I got to listen to his tail wagging and popping against the floor all the way home.

There is absolutely nothing like hunting with an old friend, one who knows you and who you know well. Sometimes it is best that that old friend is a dog.

mattuga

Banned
Mine is about to turn 13 and this is my first season not hunting her. My dog can hardly hear or see but her hips wouldn't allow her to hunt this season even if she had sight/hearing. I may get her out for 1 last hunt on a really open/easy access woody hole but doubtful. Of course my first opening day not hunting her I kill my first band and someone else's dog brought it back. If there is a positive in that the other dog had a softer mouth than my dog did haha so the bird is in good shape.

Keep your dog healthy (not fat) and the hips will last longer. If my dog had been heavier I think would have had to retire her around 9 or 10 when her hips first showed signs of weakness. Enjoy the time you have had and will have. Do not push the dog in cold weather if it looks uncomfortable be ready to call a hunt. You will push some of the drive from a dog by running it too hard. I wanted to add that you'll get better hunts out of the older dogs if they don't have to sit around for an hour before the hunt, the shorter the wait before retrieves the better.

Bubba_1122

That's a mighty handsome lab.

Labs are such a special creature. I've been owned by several.

I have a 14 year old lab now. Oldest lab I've had. Took her on a dove hunt 2 years ago and she tried but her ol body just couldn't do it. Middle of the shoot me n her went to the truck. Lots of things starting to malfunction now.

I'm dreading the day...

Enjoy your time, regardless of what that looks like (whether hunting or otherwise).

Uptonongood

My yellow is 14 now, too, and her last hunt was five years ago. What great times we've had with ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, and grouse. She was so great to travel with either in my truck, wife's car or a drift boat. She floated the South Fork of the Snake River, the Madison and the Jefferson Rivers but never figured out the "release" part of "catch and release".

She was also the anchor in my three Labrador therapy team work with combat veterans.

Attachments

• 25ACD1DE-FB50-4496-BF34-FA4AD5D3E10E.jpeg
    25ACD1DE-FB50-4496-BF34-FA4AD5D3E10E.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 54C71D02-774E-4A98-A32D-696EA7E91710_1_105_c.jpeg
    54C71D02-774E-4A98-A32D-696EA7E91710_1_105_c.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 31
  • F0597112-A92F-45AD-B199-7991E3CFFB8F_1_201_a.jpeg
    F0597112-A92F-45AD-B199-7991E3CFFB8F_1_201_a.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2EB37847-6A44-4CAC-970E-6129140C90C3.jpeg
    2EB37847-6A44-4CAC-970E-6129140C90C3.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 29

solocam01

I know the feeling. My lab turned 10 this last July 28th. We went open day and she give her all. She jumped out of the boat to get a goose and I went to her because she was struggling to get back. Won't let her do that anymore. She is limping with her back hips. Going to Vet this week a see what is up and is there anything for pain.

nrh0011

I got one that is almost 14, retired him 2 years ago. Enjoy every hunt with your dog and take care of them!!! They get old fast.