My entire artifact collecion

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Really nice collection. That's a good Stanley down there in the middle, don't see many of those.

jNick

That’s amazing! Is it legal to sell those if you wanted to? I’ve heard there’s a black market for them. I have a friend that catches and sells grass shrimp for a living that finds them in the bottom of the lake and supposedly sold his collection for a small fortune, but I didn’t want to ask specifics.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Really nice collection. That's a good Stanley down there in the middle, don't see many of those.
Thanks. I dont know the names or the time periods for any of it though. What peaked my intrest the most is that some of them look as if the same knapper made them but were found 300 miles apart from one another.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
That’s amazing! Is it legal to sell those if you wanted to? I’ve heard there’s a black market for them. I have a friend that catches and sells grass shrimp for a living that finds them in the bottom of the lake and supposedly sold his collection for a small fortune, but I didn’t want to ask specifics.
I dont think they're illegal to sell but they're worth more to me than what they'd probably fetch anyway.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

In Georgia its not against the law to sell legally obtained artifacts. I`ve seen a couple found down here in Southwest Georgia that went for thousands of dollars, apiece.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In Georgia its not against the law to sell legally obtained artifacts. I`ve seen a couple found down here in Southwest Georgia that went for thousands of dollars, apiece.
Buddy of mine made a down payment on a house from a bulltongue Simpson he found diving in FL. It was pictured in the Best of the Best.

longrangedog

Thanks. I dont know the names or the time periods for any of it though. What peaked my intrest the most is that some of them look as if the same knapper made them but were found 300 miles apart from one another.
At a Jim Langford lecture many years ago Jim told the story of a pottery maker who used a carved wood paddle to decorate his pots while the clay was wet. His check stamp pattern was a common one but what was distinctive about his paddle (and pottery) was a crack in the wood. His pottery was easily identified and found in distant areas across the state.

Last edited:

Tentwing

Wow …… just Wow thank you for sharing …… that is some great stuff . I wish I could have some one look at my collection and identity the points in it for me. It would be great for my grandchildren to know what all “ those rocks “ that their PawPaw left behind really are ………