my first boat *pics**more pics*

hoochfisher

Banned
its a small project. 1989 bayliner capri with a 2.3 omc cobra inboard and stern drive. i got it from another member in a trade(thanks Tman 66!).

it had sit for about 4 years. it was DIRTY with little black specks of mildew everywhere inside and out.

i took it and set it in the water. floats perfect with no leaking anywhere. i pour some gas in the carb and turned it over twice and she started right up! had to pour some more in and turn it again to get the fuel pump to prime up! ran perfect with the gas i poured down the carb untill it started sucking the old, dead gas out of the tank.

it had an issue with the choke which i found to be it was simply missing the linkage to operate the choke on the carb. a simple bent piece of coat hanger fixed it right up!

the the plastic guage faces had come off. took them cleaned them up, and used some silicone adhesive to re-atatch them to the gauges.

i pumped all the old gas out, poured in 3 gallons of fresh gas with some water remover in. moved it back and forth with the truck to make the gas slosh around and clean out the tank the best i could. pumped that out. and with a quick sniff down the fill line, i could not smell any more old gas.

i washed the exterior of the boat today with some purple power. outside is spotless now! i am going to pressure wash the interior with purple power tommorow.

the other interior project is it has a soft spot in the floor just the size of my foot. my plan is to remove the carpet off the floor. then put a layer of 1/2" pressure treated plywood. then recarpet the floor. then eventaully have the interior re upholstered. i am just fine with a little cracked vinyl for now!

after that, i am tuneing up the engine. and changing all the fluids.

then all that is left is to get a stern light, some life jackets, and some flares. then its hitting the water!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 820
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 776
  • CIMG3388.jpg
    CIMG3388.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 820
  • CIMG3391.jpg
    CIMG3391.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:

hoochfisher

Banned
i will post more pics as i go. soon as i get it all cleaned up and waxed, i'll show yall some more!

boneboy96

lookinig good Hooch...it's fun restoring a boat to a somewhat newer condition...isn't it? ::ke: :cool: :clap:

hoochfisher

Banned
it pretty fun! alot of work though! all the pics a the before pics. where it looks like the blue paint has faded, i found it was mostly alot of run off of old white paint from the top.

i cant wait to see how its going to look a waxed and shiny! maybe it will quit raining sometime before spring so i can wax it!

boneboy, the floor of this one is same as you said your project was. right beside the passenger seat. i was worried it would be completly rotted, but it isnt! this boat has a ski locker in the floor, i opened it and got soaking wet looking around under it, and it just has bad spot of the plywood floor.

im thinking two sheets of plywood and about three rolls of carpet will do the trick.

boneboy96

are you replacing the whole floor or just a section of it?

hoochfisher

Banned
i'm planning on cutting the soft spot out. then if the rest isnt too bad, i was thinking just put a layer of plywood over the whole floor thats allready there. i am not really skilled enough to remove the whole floor and redo it like you did. i mean im having to get my father in law to help do what i was planing to. i guess i'll find out how far i'll have to take it when i pull the carpet up.

hopefully it will be just what i was thinking of doing.

my one other plan is to cut a piece of plywood that i can just drop on the bow to stand up there and fish on. right now it has removable seats that are solid with no storage under-neath. then i can change out from seats to deck as i please!

Last edited:

hoochfisher

Banned
when my father in law saw it, the first thing he said is thats a ski boat you cant fish out of that! i said bull! i dont care if it was a yacht, id still fish out of it!

Last edited:

boneboy96

tell him it's called "fish-N-ski".

hoochfisher

Banned
more pics

well, after three days of cleaning and changes fluids and lubing everything, here it is!

Attachments

• CIMG3396.jpg
    CIMG3396.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 435
  • CIMG3397.jpg
    CIMG3397.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 439

hoochfisher

Banned
more

well, i was posting finished pics, but i keep getting the security token error msg. now it wont let me. you will see them sone as i get this figured out.

boneboy96

looking good so far!