My First Ga Mallards,

Three years ago, a man at church stopped me and asked if I had any interest in hunting ducks. Of course he had my full attention and over the next few days he and I spoke and soon I was out scouting the place over. For three seasons I have had success with killing the limit of woodies. ITs an easy walk in hunt and being private means I can control the pressure. By boys are now 7 and 4 and they go with me most every time.

Well this year, Opening day turned out to be truly special. As a large group of wood ducks came floodin' in at 6:33, my 7 year old starts shouting Mallards Mallards! sure enough, a pair was coming in and I managed to get them both! I knew mallards stopped by every once and a great while, as I had seen some in the spring or late in the afternoons, but never had they slipped up like this.

7 minutes and 5 shots - we had us a Ga Limit of 3 woodies and 2 mallards.

My boys and I were and still are in disbelief. He and I have told the story to all that care to listen. Most folks don't understand the wow factor of mallards or even know that hunting ducks can be tough. But that's ok.

Here in Toombs County , we just don't get the opportunity at mallards often if ever. They will look might fine on the wall !

We are super excited.

Attachments

• Duck 3.jpg
    Duck 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Duck 2.jpg
    Duck 2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Duck 1.jpg
    Duck 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 205

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt ! And a couple of fine hunting partners

ghadarits

That’s about as good as it gets in GA. Too bad a lost ringer or something didn’t find its way by so you could have a true limit. I think your taking both mallards is almost as good as the kid spotting them and calling the shot!
Good on you for taking those little ones with you too.