Myrtle the Deutsch Drahthaar: Opossum Friday

ghadarits

After much consideration I’ve made the leap into the world VHD and now I need someone who knows what they’re doing to train my new partner. If it was a Lab or GSP I could do a respectable job of training myself but this is out of my wheelhouse. The breeder mentioned a guy in Statesboro that he knows of who has a good program and puts out dogs trained to do what the Drahthaar is meant to do. I’m going to ask his name the next time we speak but in the meantime I’m curious if anyone knows or has had experience going down the road I’m heading down.

The pup (Myrtle) will be 6 months in June and that’s about the time to get her started.

Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• FA1C3D09-B628-4AD2-800A-7713170180C0.jpeg
    FA1C3D09-B628-4AD2-800A-7713170180C0.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
You will enjoy the trip with the puppy.

ghadarits

After completting my first book of required reading I find that it’s pretty much expected that I do the training myself with guidance from more experienced Drahthaar handlers.
I can do it but we’ll both be learning a long the way.

buckpasser

@ghadarits

@cowhornedspike has owned and trained three fine ones, and has been a part of several more trainings. His were seemingly the best at all things gun dog. Pointing, tracking, retrieving, etc. I doubt he wants to get involved, but would be a good resource to ask for info IMO.

ghadarits

@ghadarits

@cowhornedspike has owned and trained three fine ones, and has been a part of several more trainings. His were seemingly the best at all things gun dog. Pointing, tracking, retrieving, etc. I doubt he wants to get involved, but would be a good resource to ask for info IMO.
Thanks for the heads up. So far everyone I’ve spoken to about the breed has been very willing to offer help and guidance for my journey.
I am impressed already with her nose she’s tracked squirrels and rabbits already this morning.

buckpasser

That’s great! Congrats on a fine dog in the making.