Myrtle the Deutsch Drahthaar: Opossum Friday

ghadarits

Myrtle’s got it done again this morning. Thankfully we had several groups come in my shooting was a little off. It took (7) shots to get my Woodie limit today. So far Myrtles a lot better at retrieving birds right after they hit the water than if I wait a while before sending her. We’ll be working on that later today.IMG_6750.jpegIMG_6751.jpeg

sprewett

Myrtle’s got it done again this morning. Thankfully we had several groups come in my shooting was a little off. It took (7) shots to get my Woodie limit today. So far Myrtles a lot better at retrieving birds right after they hit the water than if I wait a while before sending her. We’ll be working on that later today.View attachment 1277845View attachment 1277846
That top pic is amazing! Frame worthy actually

ghadarits

It’s been a weekend I didn’t think would ever happen. The wife agreed to come duck hunting and she’s having fun. Getting up early, shooting and staying at the hunting cabin I couldn’t ask for more than that.
Oh and she knocked down two her first time ever duck hunting. I’m impressed.IMG_6896.png

ghadarits

Not enough ducks around to make it worth going after them so we put Myrtle out and asked her to find us some quail and she obliged. Good girl Myrt good girl.
I had Craig from Monroe, GA Rich V from San Diego, CA Nate D originally from Fiji but now residing in Provo Utah down to visit.
IMG_6969.jpeg

cowhornedspike

Cold doesn't bother these pups. Heat can get them though so be cautious in the summer.

ghadarits

I forgot to mention that the last day of deer season here in Georgia Myrtle hit a Draht trifecta. That's when a Draht retrieves waterfowl, points quail and retrieves a shot quail and then blood tracks wounded game to recovery in a single day.
I was worried she wouldn't get a chance at a true blood track but our good friend Mac Price came through for us the last evening of deer season and Myrt got to do her job.

Last edited:

ghadarits

Well we closed out our waterfowl season without firing a shot yesterday morning. We saw a few just nothing in range. It was a good season all and all my wife and Myrtle were both introduced to duck hunting and they both liked doing it so I have to say that was the best part of the season for me. We have Myrtles VJP spring natural ability test to get ready for and a few weeks to quail hunt then fishing begins in earnest.
IMG_7054.jpegIMG_7091.png

Last edited:

ghadarits

Myrtle is a relentless hunter if she’s outside she’s hunting and that’s just the way it is. I had a quail escaped on Friday when I was separating them and yesterday as we were getting ready to head home she located it. My wife said she was pointing for 5 minutes before I noticed it. I couldn’t leave her hanging so I geared up and the picture is the outcome. The cabin is just to the left out of the picture about 75 yards away. 9C70CF5D-3598-41CE-9EAF-A548EDA4C6D3.jpeg

buckpasser

They are an amazing breed and she sure seems to be an amazing specimen. Congrats Sir!

ghadarits

They are an amazing breed and she sure seems to be an amazing specimen. Congrats Sir!
Buckpasser they really are an amazing breed. I was skeptical that one dog could be great at so many different things. I'm sorry I didn't make the jump into versatile dogs 30 years ago. Not to take anything away from my past dogs they were all great dogs at their type of hunting.

ghadarits

Tomorrow is a big day for Myrtle she’ll be running in her first test the VJP.
It’s hard to believe it’s that time alread. My only regret is that I havent had much luck locating rabbits since November to train with. The rabbit track will be about 1/3 of what she’ll be graded on. Hopefully the few we have found will be enough to carry her through. Any short comings are firmly on me for not getting the training right. No matter her score I know she’s a great dog for what I do with her she‘s proven that to me already.
Good luck Myrtle!!!

Attachments

• 20F636BC-800D-43A7-99AA-4631C9D36E18.jpeg
    20F636BC-800D-43A7-99AA-4631C9D36E18.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 77749646-EB6A-4E54-828E-7F1FCFBD6532.png
    77749646-EB6A-4E54-828E-7F1FCFBD6532.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

ghadarits

Myrtle ran her VJP test today and did great I’m very proud of my girl. She scored highest in her group which I was not even remotely expecting since there were several handlers there who have and have had multiple Drahthaars. Now we’ll start preparing for her fall test which will be the HZP test. Myrtle was also evaluated for coat, teeth and a couple other physical things to be confirmed for breeding should she prove to be an exceptional Drahthaar. I’m still on the fence about breeding since she’d have to be sent away to a certified kennel but all of that is a good way away so will go on the back burner for now. IMG_7299.jpeg

Last edited:

cowhornedspike

Excellent score! Work on the rabbit track and retrieve for the HZP. That seems to be where most pups have the highest chance of failing in my experience.

Latest posts