Myrtle the Deutsch Drahthaar: Opossum Friday

ghadarits

Excellent score! Work on the rabbit track and retrieve for the HZP. That seems to be where most pups have the highest chance of failing in my experience.
Thanks I appreciate the advice. We’ll be re enforcing FF for the foreseeable future until she’s 100%. So far she’s retrieved every animal I’ve sent her after and a bunch I didn’t and of those they were mostly alive.
She was trying to bring me an armadillo the evening before her test but she couldn’t get a good hold on it. I had no idea they could run as fast as that one did.

ghadarits

We had an interesting morning this morning. When I let Myrtle out I wasn't aware of the rabbit in the back yard and the race was on. She caught it and probably woke up the neighbors because she went really loud. The best thing is that she brought it right to me after she caught it.
Goog girl Myrt good girl.Myrtle had a race this morning.jpg

ghadarits

The neighborhood had another interesting morning. Myrtle detected an opossum in the yard next door and it was on. Mr. Opossum was able to leave on its own once Myrtle was contained. I noticed that Myrt only goes loud when it’s dark and she’s pursuing live game.
I’d like for her to be loud when it’s light outside.IMG_7701.jpeg

Last edited:

ghadarits

We're getting a female draht in June, got high hopes for her!
My 2 toddlers haven't stopped talking about it since we told them.
You won’t regret that choice. My dog has major prey drive but transitions into a fairly calm dog in the house but can still be a little rough so know that when the kids are around. Let me know when you’re ready to do some training. I’m no expert by any stretch but will be happy to help you with training. What kennel is your pup coming from? I’m going to Kentucky for a training day next weekend and bringing two pups back for their new handlers so there are others in state that will be training new pups as well.

OffTheBeatnPath

Casey Lee out of Statesboro.
The fur drive is the main reason I went with the draht!

Talked with probably 10 different people and he was the only one I felt was breeding what I wanted.
No plans on doing any testing right now but who knows down the road

OffTheBeatnPath

You won’t regret that choice. My dog has major prey drive but transitions into a fairly calm dog in the house but can still be a little rough so know that when the kids are around. Let me know when you’re ready to do some training. I’m no expert by any stretch but will be happy to help you with training. What kennel is your pup coming from? I’m going to Kentucky for a training day next weekend and bringing two pups back for their new handlers so there are others in state that will be training new pups as well.
But I will definitely take you up on getting together and training down the road! I love to be around workin dogs. I’m around Lake Hartwell but I get around a good bit from Ne Ga to middle Ga

ghadarits

But I will definitely take you up on getting together and training down the road! I love to be around workin dogs. I’m around Lake Hartwell but I get around a good bit from Ne Ga to middle Ga
Well you’re in business then because we have a place at Hartwell up the Tugaloo past marker 100. If you know about the floating pirate you know where we are. Look over the boat for the Pirate/tourist attraction.4A279F55-5267-4C0C-BA7E-655D23E0D09A.png

Last edited:

ghadarits

Casey Lee out of Statesboro.
The fur drive is the main reason I went with the draht!

Talked with probably 10 different people and he was the only one I felt was breeding what I wanted.
No plans on doing any testing right now but who knows down the road
I don’t know Casey personally but I hear his kennel puts out some fine dogs. Be careful about what you wish for because these dogs are relentless hunters once they are outside. You’ll have some fur if there’s any around don’t worry about that.
I felt the same way in regards to testing but I had to commit to test through HZP before I could get the dog from a particular breeder. I would plan on testing it will really put a fire under your butt to train. I’m glad I made the commitment to test now because my dog is way ahead of where she would be otherwise.

Last edited:

cowhornedspike

I felt the same way in regards to testing but I had to commit to test through HZP before I could get the dog from a particular breeder. I would plan on testing it will really put a fire under your butt to train. I’m glad I made the commitment to test now because my dog is way ahead of where she would be otherwise.
This^^^

You will end up with a better dog if you commit to putting him/her through the testing program. It's not about the score or beating the other dogs in the test, but rather about putting your dog through all the aspects of what these dogs can do in preparing for the tests. Also this is the best way to be around other DD owners and pups and know you are training your dog to its best potential.

Most good breeders will not sell you a pup unless you are willing to test. This is the best way for them to be able to evaluate their breeding program and make changes as needed to continue to improve the breed.

OffTheBeatnPath

Yep I’m usually up that way once a week fishing. We will have to get together this fall when it cools down some!

CHS- that makes enough since. I really only talked to guys n the SE. I won’t mention any names but I had more than 1 kennel talk themselves out of me buying a dog from them. Not due to demanding of testing.. but from me doing enough research and talking with other ppl to know they didn’t have what I wanted. Seemed they were more interested n selling the couch dog pitch.

Im all ears when it comes to guys who have skin n the game. I guess I shouldn’t say I don’t plan on testing, more so if it boils down to hunting the dog or a test, we’ll be n the woods.

ghadarits

Since catching opossums has become a regular thing this will be the last opossum post unless it’s an unusual one or something.
This was the first time I’ve gotten to see it go down so it was a good opportunity to capture it.IMG_7709.pngIMG_7708.png

Attachments

• IMG_7710.png
    IMG_7710.png
    749 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I thought O'possums were a critter they have in Ireland? We just have regular ol' possums around here. :bounce:

ghadarits

This^^^

You will end up with a better dog if you commit to putting him/her through the testing program. It's not about the score or beating the other dogs in the test, but rather about putting your dog through all the aspects of what these dogs can do in preparing for the tests. Also this is the best way to be around other DD owners and pups and know you are training your dog to its best potential.

Most good breeders will not sell you a pup unless you are willing to test. This is the best way for them to be able to evaluate their breeding program and make changes as needed to continue to improve the breed.
The evaluation of the breeding is how we keep the breed strong. I don’t want to see another great breed of hunting dog go to spit because they have been bred by non hunters with no regard to their ability. Two breeds that were hunting dogs when I was a kid that I don’t see much anymore are the Irish Setter and Golden Retriever.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The evaluation of the breeding is how we keep the breed strong. I don’t want to see another great breed of hunting dog go to spit because they have been bred by non hunters with no regard to their ability. Two breeds that were hunting dogs when I was a kid that I don’t see much anymore are the Irish Setter and Golden Retriever.
Poodles and Cocker Spaniels were originally bird dogs, and look what they've become now.

ghadarits

Poodles and Cocker Spaniels were originally bird dogs, and look what they've become now.
I know a few people who still run poodles and cockers and those are some good dogs. Unfortunately their the exception and few and far between now days.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know a few people who still run poodles and cockers and those are some good dogs. Unfortunately their the exceptional few now days.
It's about been bred out of them. My wife used to have a poodle that went crazy when you got a gun out, and would tree squirrels and run rabbits.

ghadarits

Yep I’m usually up that way once a week fishing. We will have to get together this fall when it cools down some!

CHS- that makes enough since. I really only talked to guys n the SE. I won’t mention any names but I had more than 1 kennel talk themselves out of me buying a dog from them. Not due to demanding of testing.. but from me doing enough research and talking with other ppl to know they didn’t have what I wanted. Seemed they were more interested n selling the couch dog pitch.

Im all ears when it comes to guys who have skin n the game. I guess I shouldn’t say I don’t plan on testing, more so if it boils down to hunting the dog or a test, we’ll be n the woods.
I actually got very lucky with my pup. I knew I wanted a DD but didn't realize that the expectations between breeders varied as much as it does. I just happened to contact a guy whos very serious about what his Kennel produces. Not only did I have to commit to testing but had to show 8 years of hunting licenses to prove I was a real hunter. My pup came from dogs the kennel owner didn't own but it was an exceptional breeding and the dogs owners wanted to make it happen. I was lucky enough to get the runt. She's not the runt anyl onger she's 60lb of renlentless hard core hunting machine of anything fur or feather once she's out of the house.

Last edited: