Myths about hog meat

swamp hunter

Bought some land in N. Fla. last year , thats ate up with hogs. But me and the wife always have noticed an aftertaste and we wernt that interested in eatin them. Went on the Texas boar hunters site ,and they say also to soak in vinegar and real cold water for 2/3 days . I gotta get it right cause I,m trying to convince her to just eat deer and hogs. She,s allready made pets of the squirrels

robert carter

I love the meat from guilts and sows or small pigs under 60 lbs. ANY boar thats old enough to know what his marbles are for I prefer not to eat. If I can smell the funk on him I can`t eat it. BUT I have friends that will grill any boar I bring them so nothing goes to waste. Myself I prefer a 40 lb guilt to any. And it is far far far better than any deer.RC

jman050

some of the differences in opinion in this thread can also be related to how people tolerate "gamey" flavor. Just because we all hunt doesnt mean we all prefer venison to regular beef and the same goes for wild pigs. I personally love wild boar, elk, deer etc but have met many others that would just as soon give it away.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here's a myth I experienced.

I put a hind quarter from the first hog I killed in the crock pot (no need to give the recipe) it stunk the whole house up, but I tried it anyway and it was fine after it was cooked. The hog was shot in the chest broadside, a little back and ran off squeling and died.

The next one I shot...and all others (3) were all head shots and smelled like store bought pork while cooking.

All were sows.

Is it true that the adrenaline causes the meat to smell bad?

Stress can be measured by cortisol levels in the blood. Typically, the longer it takes an animal to die once shot the higher the level of cortisol. This flood of hormones into the bloodstream can leave a gamier taste to the meat. I have noticed that a gut shot deer is a little more rank than a head shot deer.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
Icey water aging w/ little vinegar on the bigger ones- that's all I do. Nice to see most folks agree on here disputing all the old wive's tales. I've eat over a couple hundred hogs in my hunting career choosing not to buy store bought meat years ago if at all possible. I don't remember anyone in my family having to throw any hog out that tasted bad even though some were RANK when I killed them. Of course the majority of mine were free-ranging piney woods rooters, not first generation feral farm or umpteen hundred pound plantation Russians either. An unhealthy hog regardless of size is another matter though just like any game animal would be.

CowtownHunter

I guess everyone's had different experiences. But as for me, I've not had any funny tasting hogs, sows or boars, weighing b/w 20lbs to 285lbs (boar).

They are a lot leaner than your store bought pork so it is very important you prep and cook them properly. I usually smoke mine but I apparently have left my last batch in there a bit too long as it was very dry and a bit chewy. Other than that they were fine.

As others have already stated, I try to get the hog cleaned and iced as soon as I can (I mean completely cover the hog in ice). I end up going through b/w 50 to 80lbs of ice over a couple of days before I do the final cutting and freezing.

Although a couple of the hogs did have stronger smell than others (all hogs - animals smell), there were no hint of that when I finally processed them a couple of days later. I do make sure to cut out the glands in the back ham as I've heard it'll ruin your taste buds pretty quickly.
http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8927

To me, deer has more gamy taste than any hog I've eaten. I do make sure the meat is well seasoned, garlic especially, as I do with even store bought pork to cover the unique pork taste that I'm not overly thrilled about. So for those of you who have never considered eating a hog due to their size or their outer odor, you should definitely give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, I wouldn't eat a hog that wasn't cleaned and iced within a couple of hours after it's been killed. Perhaps that might explain some foul smelling/tasting meat that some of you have mentioned. Just my opinion.

Ytka

I don't shoot any big boar hogs, but I'll shoot a boar that's 100lbs or less before I shoot a sow. To me, a pig that size is one of the best tasting animals in the woods. I'll shoot any sow. We don't do anything special except bleed them, clean them correctly, and chill them for a couple days. Just make sure not to bust that external urine sack just in front of a boar's hang-down.

Amarillo1

The best meat I've ever had was backstraps of 40 lb wild sow. Thawed in the sun, and kickory smoked. So good!

I've eaten 300 lb. sow straps. A bit tough, but tasty.

Never killed a smelly boar, but the ones I've killed were tasty.

The bigger they are, the tougher they are. I now use a marinade with honey, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar, some onion, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and salt. This tenderizes my deer hams and wild pork cuts. Excellent flavor!

Ignore rumor. Experience everything for yourself.

schreck_1

I generally feel any critter worth killin' is worth using. That being said, I can't find any use for a boar that stinks when you walk up to it. We tried one that was rank and it stunk up the whole house as soon as it hit the skillet. NASTY! But, I've killed and ate 150lbs boars and sows up to 300lbs that were fine vittles.

I think with all wild game taste depends on how the meat is taken care of after you kill it and before you cook it. We bone out the back straps and remove the shoulders and hams in the woods and get the meat on ice ASAP.

Darrenmd

I have had the best luck with soaking the meat for three days in ice water before processing it. I have also found that the processing itself makes a big difference. A buddy of mine processes the meat for me. He ran out of the casing he usually uses.....went with another type, the meat went from better than store bought to ok.....

Swordfish

A hog that has been run by dogs is stoked with adrenalin, same with a hog that hasn't been dogged, but doesn’t "bang flop" when shot. If you head shot and flip the switch it’s best. I like to use a 45-70, I know it's over kill, but they won't run much after. :bounce:
Of course what it has been feeding on also makes a huge difference. IMO
I also brine them for 3 days

Last edited:

TDBone

I asked a question similar to you a while back...here is the thread: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=336102&highlight=

I had friends who said they cut the balls off after the kill so the meat won't taste as bad...after a little research...I found that what they do makes no sense. Cutting the balls off after the kill will do nothing to improve the taste of the meat now will it stop the meat from getting that "gamey" "rank" taste to it....too late.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Here's a myth I experienced.

I put a hind quarter from the first hog I killed in the crock pot (no need to give the recipe) it stunk the whole house up, but I tried it anyway and it was fine after it was cooked. The hog was shot in the chest broadside, a little back and ran off squeling and died.

The next one I shot...and all others (3) were all head shots and smelled like store bought pork while cooking.

All were sows.

Is it true that the adrenaline causes the meat to smell bad?

MY wife put some grocery store bought pork in the Crock pot, it STUNK and I ask my daughter, "Do you smell that?"
"Remember that, when I put pork I harvested into the crock pot"
PORK STINKS PERIOD when it goes in the crock pot..........A ROASTING pan with a little water in the bottom, Sealed with Saran Wrap and tin foil in the oven @ 250 for about 4-5 hours does not.

I agree that a Worked up, adrenaline rushed hog will be gamier and tougher than one that is dropped while being casual. THink of it this way, reach over and grab your bicept, see how it feels? Now go grab a 15lb weight and curl it about 25 times.....reach over and feel your bicep again. Notice any difference?