N. GA gunsmith needed - headspacing adj

oldfatbubba

I need a recommendation for gunsmith to reset the headspacing on my Marlin XL7. It's a simple barrelnut rifle much like a Savage. I live near Cumming, north of Atlanta.

bighonkinjeep

Did you remove the barrel or replace the bolt head? Not sure otherwise why the headspace would need adjusting?
A Savage barrel nut wrench will fit it and its a pretty simple.process. There are companies that rent the tools if you want to try and give it a go yourself.
Either way good luck with your rifle.

oldfatbubba

Did you remove the barrel or replace the bolt head? Not sure otherwise why the headspace would need adjusting?
A Savage barrel nut wrench will fit it and its a pretty simple.process. There are companies that rent the tools if you want to try and give it a go yourself.
Either way good luck with your rifle.
Back story. One of two wavy spring washers between the bolt and bolt head cracked/broke. The barrel was replaced back in 2009 at the Marlin factory and I believe the second washer was installed at that time to fudge headspacing; the factory schematic shows it should have one wavy washer. While the action doesn’t close on a field gauge, it does close on a no-go gauge so headspacing could be tighter.

bighonkinjeep

Back story. One of two wavy spring washers between the bolt and bolt head cracked/broke. The barrel was replaced back in 2009 at the Marlin factory and I believe the second washer was installed at that time to fudge headspacing; the factory schematic shows it should have one wavy washer. While the action doesn’t close on a field gauge, it does close on a no-go gauge so headspacing could be tightener.
Does it fully close on a no go? and how hard do you have to push on the bolt handle to make it happen? If its really stiff and has to be forced its probably ok and just a mininscule difference between their gauge and yours.
The washer just puts a little tension on the floating bolt head from behind so it has a little tension and doesnt flop around. It doesnt have anything to do with headspace as its behind the bolt head. The headspace is determined by the distance between the bolt head face when locked into the lugs when in battery and the back of the cartridge when the shoulders against the chamber.
It probably could be tightend up a scooch but then you may have issues with some factory loads chambering.
If factory loads are chambering properly and closing on the no go requires some force it probably doesnt need fooling with.
Heres a pretty good link on headspace.

Last edited:

oldfatbubba

Thank you. The bolt closes with a tiny bit of resistance on the no-go gauge. I am a reloader and typically only shoot my reloaded ammo. After reading more, I also think the rifle is probably fine as-is. Thank you for your feedback, everyone.