Near death experience

Baroque Brass

No, I didn’t have one nor do I want to. When my time comes, I want to be like the deer or squirrel that dies from a perfectly placed headshot, breathing one second and dead as dirt the next.

I was having a discussion with my daughter and she raised an interesting question. When folks say they had a NDE and got a glimpse of heaven, why does no one ever say they got a glimpse of the hot place, satan, the lake of fire and eternal suffering, etc? Having seen this, they then return to life full of repent and become the most devout Christian ever so they know they won’t end up in the hot place. Seems like it would be a good motivator to bring people to church.

WaltL1

No, I didn’t have one nor do I want to. When my time comes, I want to be like the deer or squirrel that dies from a perfectly placed headshot, breathing one second and dead as dirt the next.

I was having a discussion with my daughter and she raised an interesting question. When folks say they had a NDE and got a glimpse of heaven, why does no one ever say they got a glimpse of the hot place, satan, the lake of fire and eternal suffering, etc? Having seen this, they then return to life full of repent and become the most devout Christian ever so they know they won’t end up in the hot place. Seems like it would be a good motivator to bring people to church.
I dont have a clue what Im talking about so.....
Maybe its sort of a self preservation. Your brain is taking you to a happy place to relieve the fear of dying. Then for whatever reason your body doesnt give up and back to reality you come.
Its also interesting people "see" only the particular god they believe in or Christians will see the Christian "Heaven" etc.
The brain is an incredible thing.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I certainly don’t have a reliable reference and can only speculate.

Maybe those destined for the hot place, don’t get the second chance.
I do agree the mind does some strange things..

earlthegoat2

I tend to think they see what they want to see and they are not as dead as they otherwise could be.

I don’t care about someone flatlining and coming back to life. They were never dead. Dead is dead.

Whatever the brain goes through as the body and mind draw nearer to death is a highly individual thing.

More than likely I would have no recollection of anything. Read into that whatever you may.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’m still not convinced that they actually see what they think they see.

It’s really no different than dreams - we dream what’s on our minds.

If one wants to use Bible to prove they went there, saw it……..I find no place in the Bible where went and saw and returned. Of course we have John’s vision, so I wouldn’t discount it completely. But to me there’s a difference in a vision and a visit.

I know f no one looking forward to going to the burn pit, I’d find it strange they “visited”.

Baroque Brass

I dont have a clue what Im talking about so.....
Maybe its sort of a self preservation. Your brain is taking you to a happy place to relieve the fear of dying. Then for whatever reason your body doesnt give up and back to reality you come.
Its also interesting people "see" only the particular god they believe in or Christians will see the Christian "Heaven" etc.
The brain is an incredible thing.
Scientists have provided explanations of what really occurred during perceived NDEs.

ambush80

Lights out headshot would be OK. Have you ever been put under general anesthesia? What if dying is like that. Seems like it should be from what I understand of how matter and energy interact. If you just never woke up, how would you know? Do you mind if I ask how old your daughter is? I think my daughter started asking questions like this when she was around 9.

Baroque Brass

Lights out headshot would be OK. Have you ever been put under general anesthesia? What if dying is like that. Seems like it should be from what I understand of how matter and energy interact. If you just never woke up, how would you know? Do you mind if I ask how old your daughter is? I think my daughter started asking questions like this when she was around 9.
My daughter is 36 and has a masters degree in speech language pathology. She’s way smarter than I am.

My mom went to sleep and didn’t wake up. She’d just returned from visiting her brother and other than being tired, she seemed fine. Died of heart failure during the night. I hope I go in a similar fashion.

Ive had general anesthesia for routine procedures. Other than embarrassing my wife with things I said before fully recovering from it, I’m good with it.

Baroque Brass

If one wants to use Bible to prove they went there, saw it……..I find no place in the Bible where went and saw and returned. Of course we have John’s vision, so I wouldn’t discount it completely. But to me there’s a difference in a vision and a visit.

I know f no one looking forward to going to the burn pit, I’d find it strange they “visited”.
If we dream what’s on our minds, why do some dreams make no sense? I recently dreamed one of my wife’s friends went on a diet, lost thirty pounds, had a face lift and looked like she was twenty years old. I haven’t seen her for years and she certainly hasn’t been on my mind. Most of my dreams are totally unrelated to my life today.

Baroque Brass

I don’t really want to die from a headshot, just die as if I’d been headshot.

oldfella1962

Some people DO say that they got a glimpse of the hot place. NDE are all over the map when it comes to what people experience. It's kind of like dreaming - it's a different state of consciousness - so it's totally random what people might see. To compare it to dreaming, some people don't even remember their dreams, and some people - like myself - have very vivid & specific dreams every single night or even during the day if I take a quick nap. NDE is just the human brain running wild, going haywire as it shuts down. Obviously if it doesn't shut down completely and you survive, you will very likely remember the experience very vividly. It would be interesting to have a brain scan going on with everybody as they actually die or have a NDE whichever is applicable - in a hospital setting of course - but that wouldn't be ethical nor practical. But the data gathered would probably reveal some interesting things about the human brain.

ambush80

Some people DO say that they got a glimpse of the hot place. NDE are all over the map when it comes to what people experience. It's kind of like dreaming - it's a different state of consciousness - so it's totally random what people might see. To compare it to dreaming, some people don't even remember their dreams, and some people - like myself - have very vivid & specific dreams every single night or even during the day if I take a quick nap. NDE is just the human brain running wild, going haywire as it shuts down. Obviously if it doesn't shut down completely and you survive, you will very likely remember the experience very vividly. It would be interesting to have a brain scan going on with everybody as they actually die or have a NDE whichever is applicable - in a hospital setting of course - but that wouldn't be ethical nor practical. But the data gathered would probably reveal some interesting things about the human brain.
There's quite a bit of research on the subject. There's some indication that DMT might be released by the pineal gland right before death. People who take DMT often sound like they've had a NDE, surrounded by dead relatives and/or other worldly beings, passing through a tunnel made of light, suspending over their own body, remembering significant moments in the passed, etc.

Here's a small sample of things i found in a cursory search. They range from highly clinical to bloggish.

oldfella1962

Could it be the Lord gives second chances and Satan don't.
Maybe - but what do you mean by "the Lord"? In other words, people from all religions have NDE and they sometimes see their gods/saints/angels/etcetera or their version of the hot place or whatever other religious related things that may influence their thought patterns.

ambush80

I googled "near death experiences of he11". Some interesting stories pop up.

oldfella1962

It could be that not many people have the burn pit on their minds. As for dreaming what is on our minds, that is often the case but not always. Sometimes I dream about things that I very rarely think about - or dwell on anyway - or have ever even saw before or heard about or visited. Sometimes my dreams could give the Book of Revelation a run for its money when it comes to bizarre & fantastic imagery. Bottom line I would guess that every NDE is random with no way to predict or influence what people might experience or why. It would be amazing if we could somehow experience what is going on inside the brain of somebody having an NDE! (y)