Need a New Case Tumbler

Mars

The inexpensive Frankford Arsenal tumbler I bought when I first started reloading has finally failed. The plastic bowl has several splits and it slings corn cob all over the place.

I'm not a high volume reloaded. I probably do 100ish pistol cases or 50ish rifle cases at a time. I dont reload enough to justify sinking alot of money in a tumbler. So having said all that, do yall have any recommendations for a new case tumbler? The only complaint I had with the one I have is its pretty loud.

bighonkinjeep

Duct tape.

Might replace.the bowl with just a tupperware bowl, small plastic bucket or something similar by drilling a hole through it for the threaded rod to go through. Use the same lid and tighten it down with a wing nut and keep on tumbling till the motor goes kaput. Most any similar sized container should work.
You know Bidenomics and all...

Last edited:

Dub

I have the basic model that Berrys had on sale a few years ago.

Works well, and is somewhat loud...especially if you don't get the lid on snug. Too snug and it'll crack.

20190822163132_400tumbler.jpeg

I also have the big model from Dillon.
It has a huge payload and really agitates vigorously and is much more quiet than the small Berrys model.

tempImageGlamrq.png

When I get into casting and powder coating bullets I may clean out the Berrys and use it only for powder coating.

When I do, I'll be adding the small Dillon. They are very effective, robust and made to last.....and quiet.

tempImageCLcnIT.png

Dub

I think I cracked my by overtightening the lid.

I did that on my older one, too.

It needs some tension against it to reduce vibration buzz and quiet it down. I went too far.

It was also the kind of plastic that didn’t hold up well to living out in the garage…..hot, cold, etc.

I have tried the rotary tumblers with stainless pins….but I always seem to go back to these vibratory tub style with cob & walnut media.

Jester896

Senior Clown
my Thumblers is really very quiet...you could have a conversation over it.

There used to be a Dillon inbetween the 2 that Dub mentioned that had the same motor as the big one does...man that thing will polish brass. The Dillons are great but now for everyone.

I was in Harbor Freight the other day and almost picked up their small one with ceramic media. We use a Lyman like that to Moly coat bullets.

Reactions: Dub

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'm half tempted to cheap out and gob some JB Weld all over the cracks and see how far that will get me. The motor still works fine, the bowl is just cracked pretty bad.

I thought I had a solution with this but they are out of stock. https://fsreloading.com/frankford-arsenal-extra-bowl-for-case-tumbler-2008243568.html
Try it and see,if it works it works. No need to concern yourself with what others think. Your motive is to clean and polish brass. If you get a few months more use out of it you’re ahead. Just my free opinion.

rosewood

The Frankford Arsenal ones break a lot. I have had to replace 2 bowls and had about 3 motors fail. They sell replacement bowls, but motors are no where to be found. If you could get motors, they would be an easy fix.

Send me your motor... I have 2 bowls that could use one.

The very 1st one I had, the motor didn't have bearings, but bushings. Wore out quick. The new ones do have bearings, but I don't think they grease them. They get wobbly pretty quick and won't turn anymore. I have tried lubing bearings and had mix results.

Rosewood

Big7

The Oracle
Believe this or not but I know. :wink:

Harbor Freight vibrators and tumblers work as good as any of them and they cost less and for a very few dollars, you can get an extended warranty.

If something happens, bring it back. No questions asked. Even if it's YOUR fault.

I'm fixing to get one and use it for a BP ball mill.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

Harbor Freight vibrators and tumblers work as good as any of them and they cost less and for a very few dollars, you can get an extended warranty.

If something happens, bring it back. No questions asked. Even if it's YOUR fault.

Do you find you get better accuracy with sprue rounded off?

rosewood

I may give one a shot.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
my Thumblers is really very quiet...you could have a conversation over it.

There used to be a Dillon inbetween the 2 that Dub mentioned that had the same motor as the big one does...man that thing will polish brass. The Dillons are great but now for everyone.

I was in Harbor Freight the other day and almost picked up their small one with ceramic media. We use a Lyman like that to Moly coat bullets.
I bought the small HF one. I got the extra warranty also. On my 3rd one in 3 months. The nut loosens and wears the threads of the lid bolt down. Then it can not stay tight and then wears an oblong hole in the lids. I think that the threaded bolt metal is soft. Using a lock nut helped but eventually the same thing happens of you aren't watching it all the time.
3rd one I delegated to being the backup to my backup.
I've read that the larger ones don't have that problem.

Big7

The Oracle
I bought the small HF one. I got the extra warranty also. On my 3rd one in 3 months. The nut loosens and wears the threads of the lid bolt down. Then it can not stay tight and then wears an oblong hole in the lids. I think that the threaded bolt metal is soft. Using a lock nut helped but eventually the same thing happens of you aren't watching it all the time.
3rd one I delegated to being the backup to my backup.
I've read that the larger ones don't have that problem.
As far as Harbor Freight, The Chicago Electric Power Tools brand are better made and with better material than the Central Machinery brand they carry but are more expensive.

They carry another brand at times, I guess when they are available- but I can't remember the brand name.

The Chicago Electric brand works good for me. Only bought 1 so far and it has lasted for years.

bullgator

Here’s a little trick I did about 30 years ago out of pure laziness. I got tired of screwing the wing nut down 3” of threading every time. I got a piece of hydraulic hose and cut a piece to reduce it but still let the lid go on above it.
IMG_2585.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
Do you find you get better accuracy with sprue rounded off?
I was taking about using one to mill black powder.

I think you were referring to tumbling lead muzzle loader balls??? I don't cast balls.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I was taking about using one to mill black powder.

I think you were referring to tumbling lead muzzle loader balls??? I don't cast balls.
Wasn’t sure what you were saying. Milling black powder sounds interesting but I’d need to know more before I jumped into that. Are you making Black powder or just making it finer?

Big7

The Oracle
Wasn’t sure what you were saying. Milling black powder sounds interesting but I’d need to know more before I jumped into that. Are you making Black powder or just making it finer?
Both.

There are basically 3 store bought grades considered "common"..

The finer the powder is milled, the more blast wave (pressure) it generates.

I'm trying to come up with a super fine grain high pressure powder that could be used in modern metallic cartridges if smokeless powder becomes unavailable or .gov just flat bans it from private citizens.

Makes good "stump removers", not the best, but good enough and some fun large, well let's just call them firecrackers. :wink:

Mostly just playing around.