Need a New Case Tumbler

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Both.

There are basically 3 store bought grades considered "common"..

The finer the powder is milled, the more blast wave (pressure) it generates.

I'm trying to come up with a super fine grain high pressure powder that could be used in modern metallic cartridges if smokeless powder becomes unavailable or .gov just flat bans it from private citizens.

Makes good "stump removers", not the best, but good enough and some fun large, well let's just call them firecrackers. :wink:

Mostly just playing around.
So you’re taking say 4f and making it like black talcum powder .

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
So you’re taking say 4f and making it like black talcum powder .
I’m reminded of burning coal in suspension, you run the lump coal through successively finer grinders and ball mills to very fine size and mix with combustion air and introduce into a boiler furnace to produce steam for power generation.

frankwright

I run my tumbler often and long, I like bright brass!
I have used the one from Cabelas for many years. A new one came with a piece of plastic broke off and cabela's sent me a new one and said keep the old one.
That won't happen now with BPS being in charge.
I hope these last a long time because I doubt the quality is there that once was.

Big7

The Oracle
Just some FYI..

Note:
In the bottom pic, I was trying to get the price tag for the giant 18 pound capacity Chicago Electric brand. The one in the front is the 5 pound Central Machinery brand.

The 18 pound Chicago is in the second pic, in the back, to the left. They were strapped down to the shelves so I couldn't move them.

My opinion: These Harbor Freight jobs are about as good as any of them.

20230819_131739.jpg20230819_131750.jpg20230819_131523.jpg20230819_131811.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
The "rock tumbler" would last the longest because the hopper is rubber as opposed to plastic. It does have the advantage of having 2 separate canisters so you could do different cases without having to sort them afterwards.

All the other Harbor Freight vibratory tumblers have plastic hoppers. So do all of the other brands I saw on line. Even the ones sold by reloading suppliers.. Old days they ALL had rubber whether they were rolling or vibrating.
Oh well... When the time comes, I'll either get the 6 pound dual chamber rotary job or the 5 pound Chicago Electric. FWIW.

Last edited:

Dub

I bought the small HF one. I got the extra warranty also. On my 3rd one in 3 months. The nut loosens and wears the threads of the lid bolt down. Then it can not stay tight and then wears an oblong hole in the lids. I think that the threaded bolt metal is soft. Using a lock nut helped but eventually the same thing happens of you aren't watching it all the time.
3rd one I delegated to being the backup to my backup.
I've read that the larger ones don't have that problem.

Great info from someone who has hands-on experience with it.

Dub

This thread had me thinking of going ahead and adding the smaller Dillon for knocking out accumulation from weekly range trips.

It'll replace my small Berry's model that'll be cleaned up and used for powder coating.

Will continue to use the big Dillon for working through the big batches.

Free shipping that turned out to be free & fast shipping had the sucker arriving this afternoon.

If it works 2/3 as good as it's monster sized big brother then I'll be very happy.

IMG_9846.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Midway has a 10-15% off on a Hornady right now. I didn’t review the specs close as I’m not in the market for one right now.

rosewood

Yeah.... I didn't notice that until I took if off the motor.
I have never had one crack there. Maybe screws were too tight??

Stevie Ray

This thread had me thinking of going ahead and adding the smaller Dillon for knocking out accumulation from weekly range trips.

It'll replace my small Berry's model that'll be cleaned up and used for powder coating.

Will continue to use the big Dillon for working through the big batches.

Free shipping that turned out to be free & fast shipping had the sucker arriving this afternoon.

If it works 2/3 as good as it's monster sized big brother then I'll be very happy.

View attachment 1249185

I've had my CV750 for probably close to 12 or 15 years and have never had a single issue with it, she's cleaned a lot of brass for me. I bet'cha be good to go on the new digs Dub.