Need Cell Cam recommendations!

sleepr71

What’s new in 2020 in the cellular camera world? Cameras + plans? I want 2 minimum. One will be used exclusively on a 24/7/365 Hog trap,the other at my home for security. I want the ability to command the cameras to take a photo,or video at the trap site(before dropping the gate)?. Not really a tech guru..so ease of setup + use is important also. Thoughts/suggestions?

Tight Lines

There are lots of opinions and strategies here, and a lot of it is driven by where you start. I got up to 13 Spartans so switching is hard because I don't want to monitor with 2 apps. Hands down the most popular is Spartan. However, Ridgetec appears good (and is a former Spartan guy), as well as Moultrie, Covert, Spypoint, and Reconyx. The best cameras are Reconyx for the most part, but expensive. If I was just starting out and was starting over, I would buy a couple of Ridgetecs. If you want to go mainstream I'd stick with Spartan...

Anthony61

BANNED
Hi,

If you need any specifics or specific questions regarding the Ridgetec camera system I can offer advise and info via pm or phone call which ever is appropriate.

We were successful in grabbing a pen full (16) using the HOGG BOSS gate and the Ridgetec Lookout camera.

read this topic for some details. Also pay attention to the link to the Ridgetec Demo site with live cameras.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/wild-hogs-are-monopolizing-feeder-now-live-on-internet.965878/

whitter

BANNED
Today we made a trek way back in the timber beside a lake and made our set up. We also carried some corn, salt, and peanut butter to put out. When we arrived to the area we found that our cell phones would not work. A quick set up of the Ridgetec cam and antenna showed that it was totally functional. An hour of mounting and camouflaging the cam and straps plus the tiny ground plane antenna we had what we felt was a great set up. After a long trip back to our base we could see that everything was very functional and very happy. SLEEPER the specifications you described would very much fit a system like we installed today. I myself have ridgetec cams on property security missions also. They have solar panels and have been visit free for months now. Good luck with your research.

whitter

BANNED
And whats the status of adding RidgeTec to Verizon plans?
I have both Verizon and ATT and a great feature of the Ridgetec is it is selectable and will work on either one of these systems. There is one of these camera threads that has all the particulars of setup for the ridgetec cam and others if you need a comparison.

Anthony61

BANNED
In order to support Verizon Connect style billing, we had to complete the following:

Camera firmware changes to support Subscriptions and foreign sims
Portal Changes to support foreign sims and subscription billing
Retail certification at Verizon.

Only the 3rd item is pending but hopefully this coming week we will be awarded a new certification.

Once the certification is awarded, we will announce a new firmware and all new cameras will ship with the option of pooled plans at ridgetec for both Verizon and AT&T, as well as the new Verizon Connected style. Current users of Lookout Dual, once upgraded, can also take advantage of Verizon Connected.

Also available in this firmware is support for large commercial accounts which have their own AT&T and Verizon account and sims.

Verizon Connected is only an option for a customer that already has Verizon cell service. However anyone regardless of cell phone carrier can still run either AT&T or Verizon.

A monthly Subscription will be $3/camera/month.

The App and portal are free and included with any active Pool plan or Subscription. I want to make this clear. The app is FREE.

Verizon will charge a fee of $5/mo per camera.

With a Ridgetec Lookout Dual, a camera will cost $8/mo. If your cell plan is unlimited then your camera has unlimited data for $8/mo.

Last edited:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
So, it will have the ability to be added as a $5 device on unlimited Verizon plans?

And 3$ for the app use?

Anthony61

BANNED
$8 a month total yes. But the app is free. Please do not confuse people. the app is free.

All functionality is available under Verizon Connected as under Pool plans.

A Verizon connected customer can still deploy via AT&T should the need arise but it will be onb the pool plan.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I use Bushnell Trophy Cams on my driveway for security. I have been very happy with them and they are non stop four years old and still working fine. I see a lot more deer than anything else. I have been thinking of getting more of them , but I really haven’t been paying attention to the newer technology?

SRShunter

I have the spypoint evo and I'm very pleased with it. Battery life is way better than my buddies covert. Pros and cons to both. Covert definitely has a easier firmware update meaning you don't have to have a laptop or pc to do the update unlike spypoint