Need OPions

gtaff

Banned
I would love some opinions on a situation. When I first got married I took our youngest son Hunting. I firmly belived that you eat what you kill. So I took him squirrel hunting and we would clean and eat what we shot. Well needless to say he was not into killing and eating what he shot. I disagreed with him squirrel hunting. Took him turkey hunting and I guess it did not move fast enough. Well here is the question. My wife claims that he might would be more intrested in hunting if I had not make him eat what he kills. My wife claims that squirrel is a nusciance and not game.
That is why I should not have made him eat the squirrels. Anyway what is all of your opinon? I was always brought up eat what you kill or get a kid into hunting and not letting him eat what he kills?

leadoff

GONetwork Member
HOw about teaching him not to be wasteful? IN other words, if you hunt and kill game, it is your responsibilty to see that your kill is utilized in a responsible way. You don't necessarily have to eat it what you kill. I have taken a mess of bream or a wild hog that I had shot to someone whom I know wanted it and were happy to get them on many occasions. :)

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I know lots of people that squirrel hunt but don't eat them. The meat is always given away to someone that enjoys it. I think that between forcing him to eat something he doesn't want to or making him quit hunting, the choice is clear.

Robert

Ga-Spur

We use to eat everything we killed . More recently we don't eat squirrel dumplings anymore and had an excess of squirrels. I had to clean out the trees surrounding the house because squirrels had gotten out of control damaging the house and most everything outside. I consider it rodent control now and can't find anyone that want them for eating. You could let the youngest shoot them for you to eat since we all don't like the same foods. My folks never made us eat anything we didn't like ; but today we eat everything they use to eat because they did set an example.

CAL

When I was an avid hunter I didn't eat everything that I killed.I always gave what I didn't want to eat to someone who would take and enjoy it.I think you will eventually turn him against hunting if you still persist him eating everything he kills.It would me anyway.I see clearly your point.If the food isn't wasted what is the difference?

L

Lucky Chandler

Eating and sharing

gtaff,

I think the previous posters have given you some good advice. I don't know what part of the state you are in, but I'll bet there are some older, or less well off, folks close by to you who would dearly love to have a mess of squirrels. If your son cleans them and takes them to some of those folks, I think he actually gets the benefit of several important lessons 1) he gets to enjoy and appreciate hunting (that's always good); 2) he learns the responsibility of assuring that his kill is used properly (the essence of your original point is preserved); and he gets to experience that truly good feeling that comes from sharing something with others (maybe the best one of all).

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Although I wil leat squirrels, I am ok with someone not eating them. They are rodents and need to be kept in check, like yotes

Jim

H

HT2

Imo........

Not all game that you shoot needs to be eaten.......

Like others have said.....

I don't care to eat yotes, squirrels, oppossum's, armidillo's, etc.....

KNOWWHATIMEAN??????????

phoneman

killing things

I personally don't believe in taking any creatures life for ZERO reason. My Dad taught me that every living thing deserves to be respected, and when you pull the trigger---it's lights out for them...you've taken everything the animal had. For me, to see an animal disrespected and stripped of it's dignity by some wannabe He-Man is sickening. I guess that is the reason I don't get into the "Big Buck contest" thing.....I never waste what I kill and never kill just to kill. Honor what you take, may be some bad mojo/karma to bear on the flipside. Be a Hero, not a zerO.

EDITED to add: my .02.

GeauxLSU

Just ask him why?

Ask him (or I should say TEACH him) WHY he's killing them, then you'll have your answer. If it's for target practice, I'd say there's other ways to do that. If you have a problem with squirrels invading your house, you obviously have a right to dispatch them and if no one wants to eat them, that's ashame but it's reasonable. If you go in the woods to HUNT squirrels and know they are simply going to be left to rot, then that is wanton waste in my mind and an irresponsible example to set. Coyotes and other varmits have sufficient reason to be hunted and controlled in certain locations. I don't know of a creek bottom or hardwood ridge that justifies squirrels being shot JUST for 'varmit control'. If so, take someone who will use them. Why kill and just waste an edible animal???? What is the point?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

L

Lucky Chandler

Know what, Tim?

Tim,

No, I don't know what you mean ... explain if you will - I've eaten a lot of squirrels and I guarantee you, they AIN'T in the same league with 'yotes, 'possums and armadillos.

You're kinda picky eater for a Southern boy, ain'tcha? :yeah:

gtaff

Banned
I wished I had thought of giving to someone else although I can not think of anyone off of the top of my head. At the time he actually acted like he enjoyed eating them. I really agree with GeauxLSU and phoneman
Why kill and just waste an edible animal???? What is the point?
I personally don't believe in taking any creatures life for ZERO reason.
. Now he is older and has lost all intrests. It is a hard situation to try and pass on your values and ethics of hunting when they just want to shoot and kill but yet you want to pass on the tradition.