Need recommendations for a new GPS/Fishfinder..!

sleepr71

I’m going to put a GPS/Fishfinder on our Pontoon for(Freshwater Lake) night fishing & cruising back home & could use recommendations! I have never owned a GPS/Fishfinder..so bear with my ignorance ?.I think I want at least a 7” screen & ability to upgrade to a better transducer later(?) Absolute top end budget is $800-1,000. I’d rather stay under $500-600..but will spend a little more on a unit that can do a lot more. Bass Pro currently has the Garmin UHD 74sv on sale & appears to be about what I’m looking for. I’ve always thought Humminbird & Lowrance were more aimed at fisherman…maybe Garmin has got it together now( ?) Ease of hooking it
Up & use for newbies is another plus? Thanks!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Garmin is every bit as good as the others now. Their units are extremely user friendly and you will be very pleased.

sleepr71

That’s good to know?. I’ve done a little reading today & that Garmin at Bass Pro seems to be the best deal I’ve found so far. I see used ones for sale…but I’ve always been Leary of used electronics…

tr21

i recently bought a garmin striker 9sv. it doesn't have gps but i use my cell and onx hunt for gps. had it out 4 times so far and it works real good, i paid $600 for it !

hipster dufus

I use a garmin 93sv. Does everything i need. Can be networked to engine. Maps r loaded.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Actually travelled this same road a couple of months back when looking for one for my pontoon boat. Caught a great deal though Cabelas on the Garmin Echomap 73sv. It was about 2-300$ off retail. I mounted it on my console and I love it. I have a hummingbird 9" Helix and the Garmin is soooooo much easier to learn and use than the Helix and IMHO the picture is waaaaay better. I will be going to a Garmin on my other boat when I eventually upgrade. It's that much better. Hope this helps.

sleepr71

Thanks for the info all of you have passed along. I have went to bass pro couple of times and played with all the units they keep in stock… And… Without spending several thousand dollars… There’s not a perfect one! I like the touch screen + contour maps best on the Lowrance units. The Garmin seems easiest to use & has decent maps..IF.. you get one loaded with the freshwater lake maps! Not as nice as the Lowrance though?. The Humminbird units have the best looking screens & can create some amazing underwater maps of a lake. If Humminbirds came touchscreen & with HD transducers..under $7-800..whew..I’d buy one. I’m still undecided! They all have Pro’s & Con’s..especially with me trying to stay under $800. I think I need to sell something & spend more on a better Fishfinder + trolling motor($$$$?). At this point I am strongly considering the Lowrance Elite FS 7,or FS9 with “Active Sonar” or whatever it’s called.

brunofishing

Humminbird all day, they are located in Eufaula Ala. if something were to go wrong with the unit you can take the unit by there and they will fix it on the spot! and then you get to make a Eufaula fishing trip out of it!! WIN WIN!!

sleepr71

I will always support a local/American Company if they put out an equally good product! This GPS/Finder argument reminds me of asking which brand pickup is best ? :stir: