Need some advice (landowner problems)

T-N-T

The fact that the "friend" suggests you kill ONE buck throws me. He has a different motive. I wonder does he hunt next door?! You probably killed what he had on camera last year... Maybe?
Also, you can kill does here. A HECK of a LOT cheaper. I would explain to her that you are not willing to drive out of the county let alone across the country to kill a doe.
But in the end, this lease is doomed if the "friend" doesnt shut his trap.

T-N-T

Also, IF she want top dollar for her land, She needs to be in the "lease" business and not the drop by and hunt my land business. Cant have cake and eat it too.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I agree Topher. And on the question about the "Friend" I have just got permission from the neighbor to come hunt his place as well. So i'm just not sure. However that is just 1 neighbor. It is what it is Though....

leemckinney

Wait until Gander Mtn. gets into the area and you will not be able to find any land affordable to lease.

gatorgetter

I move out here in 08 and joined Hunting Sports Plus , really neat club in Kansas and Missouri yearly dues, no hassles . If your interested check out their web site and shoot me a PM and i'll give you the first hand experience

Rich M

Go and hunt the other neighbor's land and visit her to see about the following year. Sorry for the confusion but we couldn't drive "1,000 miles" just for a couple of does. Hope you like the pecans...

Laman

You are just seeing the process that made Ga. lease's go from $5-15+. Eventually it will be about the money. Do you really think that a lady that cried about the few dollars you gave her is not going to be anxious to get more now that she is beginning to get an idea that her deer are now worth real money. Find out what the going rate is in the area offer that for a buck per hunter and if not good move on.

For bobman, the animals might belong to everyone, but those animals live on land owned by people.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Drexal, I didn't break any WIHA rules. This was not WIHA land. But to update anyone it all worked out. She had another conversation with the "GUY" and called me back and said "come out the week you have planned and I will take whatever you feel like giving me. I was thrilled with what you did last year and i'm sure I will be this year!" So I guess it all worked out. And thanks guys for your input.

whchunter

Supply & Demand

Face the facts. Our world revolves around the $. If you want to play you have to pay. Who hunts the best places is usually about who has the most money no matter where you hunt. If you don't own your own land you are always in a position to lose the right to hunt.
In most case people who own land know what it's lease value is and if not they soon will. In your case they probably didn't but after you gave them money and gifts they probably started bragging to others and one of these friends told them they could do a lot better.
I've found it best to be fair and up-front about lease costs. I make sure the land owner knows current lease costs and then let him set the lease price. This way if he is unhappy later, he won't blame me. Once they set the rate I accept it or walk away. If they call me later asking for a counter offer I make it a fair one. Make sure the land owner knows you want a win/win deal for everyone.

rstallings1979

What is her name and what are the coordinates

of the property? Just kidding....she sounds like a decent lady but money changes people. Being in the insurance business I can tell you that when it comes to the all mighty dollar people change pretty quick. Hopefully you guys will have access for many years to come but I would have a plan B each year.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I too am glad that it all worked out.

I a little confused by the posts that seem to be questioning a landowner getting top dollar for the right to hunt the property. How is that any different from any of us looking for top dollar for our work. There would be no questioning the intentions of a member here who made the statement that he was going to quit his job because a business across town was willing to pay him double his current wage. He would not be expected to continue exchanging his work for the lower wage, in fact he would probably be looked on as foolish if he did.

Can someone explain to me why the landowner is somehow different. I will bet the landowner paid top dollar for the land why shouldn't he try to lease it for top dollar also?

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Last year was a lucky find and none of us had the funds on hand to offer up a large sum of money for 4 days of hunting. At least this year it's February and we have more time to prepare financially for the trip. My goal this year is to meet more of her children and make sure they know we have good intentions and want to build a relationship with the family and have a long standing relationship. However i'm not willing to entertain the price going up exponentially every year. It's a razors edge dealing with this kinda stuff. One wrong word or move and your done. I got 2 other guys going with us this year and sadly they will not be on this farm. She liked that there were three of us last year and I plan on keeping it that way. We will see and maybe I can posts some Kansas Giants come November.

rstallings1979

JustUs...I think the general response was from the fact that it sounded like she verbally agreed with last last years arrangment but a few days later her mind suddenly changed when she spoke with a family friend. It is a little different from the standpoint that they were in agreement and then she changed her mind. Everyone just pointed out that when it comes to money people will change their mind and break "verbal" agreements in a heartbeat.