New Pecan Trees

rshunter

My Dad just planted some good sized pecan trees. They are probably 9 or 10 ft. tall and 2.5" in diameter. Going to cage them. Question is tube them or skip that given their size? Thanks.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My Dad just planted some good sized pecan trees. They are probably 9 or 10 ft. tall and 2.5" in diameter. Going to cage them. Question is tube them or skip that given their size? Thanks.
I use corrugated plastic drain tile in three or four foot lengths. Deer have rubbed some of mine even with that at the bottom. Fabric softener sheets help some. Split those sections of drain pipe of course to get them on and off.

rshunter

I am going to double cage them with concrete wire. In the past this has been good enough to keep the bucks from rubbing young apple trees. Is the tubing helpful with factors outside protection such as moisture collection or is protection its main purpose. Some online retailers are saying 12 to 14 weeks to ship tubes. Thanks

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I am going to double cage them with concrete wire. In the past this has been good enough to keep the bucks from rubbing young apple trees. Is the tubing helpful with factors outside protection such as moisture collection or is protection its main purpose. Some online retailers are saying 12 to 14 weeks to ship tubes. Thanks
I do know they don,t like any vegetation growing under them....again Fish fryer?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Animals chewing or rubbing them would be my concern. Fire ants like to nest in some of mine, pick them up and clean them out. Freeze protection for young trees might be a problem in some areas,I never thought it was here.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
You can read what UGA has to say about it, it’s all easy to access on line.

rshunter

Thank you for all the advice.

NMH5050

where did he buy them? thanks

rshunter

I will ask him and let you know.

rshunter

NMH5050......He got them from Georgia Pecan Nursery in Valdosta/ Ray City area. Possible phone number 6784850658. Hope this helps.