New Reg Question with Regards to Stinger Rigs?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
What do you "Salts" think:

I drift live pinsifh or cigs on stinger rigs for kings, usually over structure.

On occasion we pick up a grouper or snapper.

Our stinger rigs, and I assume it is a common rig, consists of a 1/0 hook (basic bait holder-not a circle) 4-6" of wire and a treble.

If we catch a reef species while fishing for king are we violating the new regulation requiring the use of circle hooks for fishing reef species?

Would FWC consider us in violation even if we don't have a reef fish in the box?

http://myfwc.com/marine/Docs/Hot_Topics/HotSheetFEBRUARY2008.pdf

capt stan

I can't see how they could get you for that if your not "targeting " that species. incidental catches happen every trip in salt water . just release um quick and there should be no problem IMHO.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I can't see how they could get you for that if your not "targeting " that species. incidental catches happen every trip in salt water . just release um quick and there should be no problem IMHO.

You ever tried to release a 30 pound snapper on a boat with 5 fat fish eaters!

:hair::bounce:

d-a

I have had no problems using dual circle hook stinger style on live bait for kings. I take a small zip tie and run it through the eyes and zip tie the main hook to the fish and the other i usually just let dangle or you can insert it into the tail.

Before i used the circle hooks i never had a reason to set the hook on the strike because they hit with enough force to set them there selves.

d-a