New stuff from Henry

Henry has rolled out a couple new cartridge offerings along with a design change. They have added a loading gate on a rifle, to be used in conjunction with their tube loading on their 30-30. They have also added the .35 Rem and venerable 38-55 to their offerings in this new rifle.

I'm a fan of both these new offerings. I like the added frontal area they provide over the 30-30. My 35 cal. choice over the years in a Marlin has always been the .356, which was my very first Marlin some 34 yrs ago. But new loads by Hornady and BB have added some real snap to the older, slower loads by Remington, Winchester and Federal.

I later added the .375 in the Marlin to my list of woods favorites, and use the +P 38-55 loading in it. A great cartridge with plenty of power, throwing a 255gr JFN bullet at just under 2,000 FPS.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_side_gate_rifle_pr.html

This is a Kentucky buck I took in 2015 with one if my Marlin .375s and BB +P 38-55 ammo.

1115150714b-1.jpg

Last edited:

Buckman18

That’s awesome, but with an MSRP of over $1,000, I just don’t see the value. I can get 2 Marlin .35’s for that price. The growing pains of the new Marlin have now been tweaked, the new one’s are great again.

A couple years ago, I was torn between the Marlin and Henry in 45-70. If both were priced similar, I would’ve bought the Henry, but I did like both, and eventually decided to go with the Marlin for a couple hundred $ less, and bears, hogs, and big bucks have been hitting the ground since.

That’s awesome, but with an MSRP of over $1,000, I just don’t see the value. I can get 2 Marlin .35’s for that price. The growing pains of the new Marlin have now been tweaked, the new one’s are great again.

A couple years ago, I was torn between the Marlin and Henry in 45-70. If both were priced similar, I would’ve bought the Henry, but I did like both, and eventually decided to go with the Marlin for a couple hundred $ less, and bears, hogs, and big bucks have been hitting the ground since.

I totally understand. But many times MSRP prices are not what we find on the street. And, that model they debuted with the loading gate is the more expensive Brass receiver model.

About a month ago, I bought a NIB Henry H010, blue, walnut 18.5" barrel for $562, which was a few dollars less than the least expensive new Marlin 45-70 I saw (GBL). I do also have a JM 1895G as well.

Buckman18

That’s a great deal you found on that Henry. When I was looking they were ~$750 or so.

Darkhorse

I'm partial to the old .35 Remington. I had a Marlin in that caliber and killed my first buck with it. I remember I handloaded 180 grain Speer bullets and they punched a big hole through letting a lot of blood out. It wore a Weaver 2.5 power scope.
That's been a long time ago now, over 40 years, but I still remember it fondly.

Dub

Henry has rolled out a couple new cartridge offerings along with a design change. They have added a loading gate on a rifle, to be used in conjunction with their tube loading on their 30-30. They have also added the .35 Rem and venerable 38-55 to their offerings in this new rifle.

I'm a fan of both these new offerings. I like the added frontal area they provide over the 30-30. My 35 cal. choice over the years in a Marlin has always been the .356, which was my very first Marlin some 34 yrs ago. But new loads by Hornady and BB have added some real snap to the older, slower loads by Remington, Winchester and Federal.

I later added the .375 in the Marlin to my list of woods favorites, and use the +P 38-55 loading in it. A great cartridge with plenty of power, throwing a 255gr JFN bullet at just under 2,000 FPS.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_side_gate_rifle_pr.html

This is a Kentucky buck I took in 2015 with one if my Marlin .375s and BB +P 38-55 ammo.

View attachment 968535

Lord have mercy.....look at that. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Regal buck taken with an American classic. :cheers:

It just doesn't get any better than that !!!!!

I'm partial to the old .35 Remington. I had a Marlin in that caliber and killed my first buck with it. I remember I handloaded 180 grain Speer bullets and they punched a big hole through letting a lot of blood out. It wore a Weaver 2.5 power scope.
That's been a long time ago now, over 40 years, but I still remember it fondly.

I would think that the Speer 180gr JFN with a warmish load from a .35 Rem would be an absolutely awesome load for deer. This is a picture from a very indepth article on the Marlin Owners Forums that I've saved for years. It shows the GREAT performance of that Speer 180 from 25 to 200 yards. It just doesn't get any better than that!!

Speer 180s mushroom.jpg

DeoVindice

I like that Henry is offering blue finishes on some of their single shot rifles, in contrast to their matte finishes. I'm not certain if they offer blued lever guns. I don't have anything against matte finishes in some guns, but I'm not a fan of them on a lever gun.

I love .35 Remington. In the hardwoods at 150 yards and less, it's a great caliber. I would have a hard time deciding between a JM stamped Marlin in excellent condition, or a new Henry. I really have a lifelong love affair with those old Marlins....Good on Henry for offering these new calibers. They continue to put out some great variety and excellent products for the customers.