Another morning at the range

This morning I managed to get there a few minutes before SR, so all alone again! I had decided on a couple of possible choices for opening day in Kentucky in another week and a half. I really wanted to shoot the new Henrys I'd gotten over the spring and summer, first was a BB in .45 Colt, the 2nd a BB in 45-70. I shot the .45 first getting it on paper with a 250gr XTP (about 1350 FPS out of the Carbine) and then the hunting load I'd chosen a 265gr WFN cast GC.

The two loads printed to pretty much the same POI, which is nice should I want to let one of my Grandsons use it to hunt. That XTP has zilch for recoil, but the 265gr had a noticeable bit more getting about 1800 FPS. That load is roughly equivalent to the 38-55 load I shoot in my .375 Win (255 @ 1900). The little Henry was done rather quickly. Next up was the 45-70, shooting a 300gr JHP @ 2100, a bit warmer than standard 300gr loads at 1800.

That load had flames coming out...lol. It shot very well, however. Better than I'd ever have hoped for. I checked the trajectory @100 being 1" high at 50 and the two I shot settled into about 5/8", almost 1" high at 100...perfect. I'm very happy with that load that I got from Wisconsin Cartridge. I will be ordering more of those for deer! Last came the new Browning A-Bolt 12ga I picked up at a great price on sale at Cabelas, NIB.

I brought a couple different slug loads for the Browning, but had figured to only use the Sabots I'd bought loaded by Remington. A 3" magnum load spitting a 385gr .58cal Bonded Bullet @ 1900 FPS, a pretty stout load. The boresight had it a bit low but right on line windage-wise. One correction had it dead on, so out to 100 to see it's trajectory, after being 1" high at 50. It printed 1/2" high at 100 3/4" or so left, both holes touching. Yup, as impressed as I was with the 45-70, that darn 12ga outshot it @ 100...lol. These were only 2 shot groups to check elevation, but even so, I was very happy at the final results.

And yes, the A-Bolt SG has noticeably more recoil than the 45-70, about on a par with my .450 Marlin out of my BLR. Perhaps a tad more? Anyway, a nice weather opening morning will have me holding the Henry 45-70, while rainy or drizzly weather will have me holding that ugly SG :bounce:

Almost forgot. The Henry all weather 45 wears a Weaver 1-3x20. The Henry 45-70 a Hawke 1-4x24 with illuminated reticle and the A-Bolt a VX3 30mm 1.5-5 with illuminated reticle.

I finished right after a couple other fellas showed up! (y)

thumbnail-181.jpeg

thumbnail-182.jpeg

thumbnail-183.jpeg

sleepr71

How about the .45 long Colt..what kind of (ethical) performance can you expect out of it,on Deer/Hog sized game? I have NO experience with the .45 is why I ask..but I do know where a NICE one is ??

Dub

How about the .45 long Colt..what kind of (ethical) performance can you expect out of it,on Deer/Hog sized game? I have NO experience with the .45 is why I ask..but I do know where a NICE one is ??

Just throwing this out there.... .45Colt has a very wide range of performance capability.

When I think of .45Colt I think of the term “Wild-To-Mild”.

In a modern gun of known good strength it can run powderpuff range loads to hot hunting loads that get into .44RemMag territory.

it

That 265gr load was a +P loading, putting it on about a par with .44 mag out of HG or carbine. The 250gr XTP I also tried was a standard load, but it also comes in +P form from Grizzly as well.

Perhaps the best comparison might be made with the 300gr cast GC +P I also brought with me to check, but never got to. In +P form, the 300gr approaches the velocity of standard 300gr loads for the 45-70 as loaded by Remington, Winchester, Federal etc. It falls perhaps 100-150 FPS behind that standard 45-70 load.

Thus, it is perfectly adequate for deer, hogs and even black bear at ranges out to where you can accurately shoot it. It is more trajectory limited than performance as that hard cast 300gr bullet will penetrate well at even very modest velocities.

I need more work with mine to find the best load in it. The one 3 shot group I shot @100 with the 265gr cast +P load did not group well for me. It would hammer deer, hogs and even bear at 50 with excellent performance and accuracy, but I'd hesitate to shoot something out past 75 yards as set up right now due to that group I shot @100.

Last edited: