New to GA and looking to get into hunting

Beach2892

Hello everyone
I'm new to the area and would like to get into hunting in the area (bow and rifle hunting). I just moved to Duluth ga. I have hunted in Arizona for deer (1 time with rifle) and javelina (3time with rifle) and quail (10 times).

Was wondering if anyone new of any public land near Duluth. It seems like you have to know someone with land or pay and join a club. Also is it worth taking a hunting class that bass pro provides or does anyone know of something better.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Btw I'm a poor college kid that doesn't really have the funds for joining a hunting club. Maybe in a year or two I can join a club.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Take Possum up on his offer ASAP,

As far as the hunting class goes. It wouldn't hurt. You can go to school right here though. Just read, read and read some more. If you have certain topic you want to know about (scouting) use the search button. It will pull up all the threads that mention scouting.
Don't be afraid to ask us questions. Lots of good people with tons of experience on here that are willing to help.

Rabun

First off...Welcome to GA and the GON Forum. Next...start here:

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/18GAHD_LR2.pdf

Many many WMA's and lot's of federal land to hunt. The WMA's have hunt dates specific to each WMA so read those carefully.

You will need a Hunter Safety Certificate in order to get your hunting license so not sure if that was what you were referring to at Bass Pro.

And...as Thunder Head recommends, search through the information on this board and take folks up on offers. Great folks on here that are willing to help out.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
First off...Welcome to GA and the GON Forum. Next...start here:

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/18GAHD_LR2.pdf

Many many WMA's and lot's of federal land to hunt. The WMA's have hunt dates specific to each WMA so read those carefully.

This. ^ Pick one out, get a map, a GPS and start burning boot leather scouting right now before the season opens.

And like everybody has said read this forum top to bottom and everything inbetween. Just because you're a rookie don't be afraid to ask questions. Yeah, you're gonna get poked a time or two because you're the rookie but everybody else on here was a rookie at one point too. You'll get your questions answered straight up for the most part and you'll have lots of options to choose from.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Anybody on here who says they have never made a mistake deer hunting is a liar. If you have been deer hunting for any length of time and you say you haven't made lots of mistakes you're either lying about the mistakes or lying about actually being a deer hunter.

Most important get a weapon and get in the woods. You can't kill 'em sitting on the couch and the more time you spend in the woods the quicker you'll figure out Deer Hunting 101.

Good luck to you!

patcavscout

Everyone in GA has public hunting land within an hour of where they live. At least that's what the DNR says and I have no reason to doubt them looking at the map. From Duluth, GA you have Wilson Shoals WMA, Lula Bridge WMA, Dawson Forest WMA, Panola Mountain State Park, Gaither WMA, Walton WMA, Hard Labor Creek State Park, Fort Yargo State Park, Pine Log WMA, Allatoona WMA, Sheffield WMA, and Paulding Forest WMA that all look to be about an hour or so driving time from you. Each of them have their own unique seasons, game, and method of take. So be sure to get a copy of the current regulations and familiarize yourself with both the general hunting rules and the WMA and State park specific ones. Also get yourself a copy of the Georgia Highway and Transportation Map as it has all of the public lands like State Parks, WMAs, and PFAs listed on it and helps you determine drive times and location as Google Maps isn't always properly updated. You may be able to find one local from a county or local park visitor center like I did.

Get familiar with the quota draw hunt system and state applying for the good ones and saving up points because it's pretty worth it. Look at the historic date for previous years results to know where your best chances are. If deer and turkey hunting use the game check harvest results to tell you when and where you have the best chances. Don't be an idiot like me and put in for two quota hunts the same day, get selected for both of them, end up working the whole weekend anyway, and just wind up throwing away points you saved up for. Check your schedule and plan your season out ahead of time.

shdw633

I’m an hour and a half from you and surrounded by public land. When you get ready to hunt let me know and I’ll point you in a direction.

THIS!! THIS!!! THIS!!!! You take Possum up on this offer, hunting Georgia is way different from hunting where you came from. The ability to have someone help you get aquainted with the area and ways of hunting in Georgia is invaluable. This, by far, has been the best advice given on this thread and you should jump on it.

swamp hunter

I had a guy on the Florida Forum ask about hunting a couple years ago.
Had him a brand new AR 10 308 and was dying to shoot something I could tell.
First question he asked me was are we gonna shoot something , Told him no it ain,t even Season right now...
Had him meet me out at the dry ground , Swamps edge..Took him on a Walk about and he done good.
Told him let me know how you do and he said sure.
Never heard from him again but he was back on the Forum next year askin if he could take some friends just to watch...all my spots I just showed him...
Good luck young man

Jim Boyd

We hear ya, Swamp - but the young man asked for advice.

He did not ask for horror stories about why folks might consider NOT helping him.

We all know there are good / positive people in the world and there are some folks that are less so.

You just proved one side of that point for us.

Many fine folks have offered great advice and even help.

Do the young man a favor and leave any negativity out, if you would be so kind.

Jim

Jim Boyd

Beach2892,

Good luck, young man.

You came to the right place for help.

I would also consider going to 3D shoots, NWTF and QDMA events and start meeting people.

Above all, be safe.

DoberMan

Welcome, I’d take Possum up on his offer. If that falls through, I’m not far from you, up in Buford, and I mainly hunt the Redlands, Cedar Creek, and Oconee WMA’s. They’re about 1.5-2 hrs from us . If I can help, let me know.

drhunter1

I’m in Lawrenceville and can certainly point you in the right direction. There is good public land not too far away at the Oconee National Forrest. Cedar Creek WMA as well. Good hunting opportunities there.

Beach2892

Sorry I haven't responded to anyone. Work has been keeping me very busy.

But thank you everyone for there input and tips. Was able to drive through wilson shoals before it got dark will probably hike the area next week end.

Thank you again for all the info it's more then I was expecting and thought there would be more negative then possitive.

Thank you!

Ghriz

Georgia is filled with good people and our forums has more than its fair share ...we do have a bunch tho i wouldnt mind pushing off a dock to see if they can swim .

95g atl

Hunting is different here in GA than out west. Much different. We favor stands here. They favor long walks and long shots. I've lived in both areas.

But most of the folks are much nicer here than the west.

I'm close by too in Suwanee (next town up). I have a hunt club, in my opinion, it's a much better fit for me personally.

I'd try Redlands (70-80 mins). Up in N GA mountains, it is more hilly terrain and maybe being a young guy you're in better shape than the older population.

You're use to heat in Arizona, but the humidity is HIGH here. Also, make sure to read up on chiggers (red bugs); ticks, and poison ivy. It is here. Heck everywhere here in GA and will quickly ruin a hunt if you aren't prepared. Ask me how I know....!

Beach2892

Sorry I haven't been posting more. Been crazy busy with work and ones again. Thank you for everyone that is posting.

I was also wondering if someone could recommend a good arrow and shaft set up for deer hunting.

JackSprat

When you are talking about a hunter class at Bass Pro, are you talking about a hunter education class. If you haven't taken one in Ariz, the class will be mandatory before you can hunt.

The class is not much about hunting but certainly a worthwhile class to take, and it's online somewhere.

Just remember, this year, in your area, if you're not able to corn them up, you may as well not go.

leavinc

Beach,

I'm new in Georgia as well. In fact, your post sounds a lot like mine that I posted awhile ago. I'm not too far from Duluth (I'm in Peachtree City). Well my GPS says it's an hour away. Maybe we could learn together.