New trapper and an interesting day

Gophfer

Today half my trapswere full.

My cam showed 3 local dogs attacking and killing a racoon. Shortly later at a nearby trap on of the dogs (a pit) stuck her foot in it. Him I came across first released him and reset the foothold. Next I came to the tortured racoon and removed him reset and moved along.

A bobcat was in the last trap. Dead and rigor had set in. Only marks were around the mouth where he was biting the chain. Can't figure out what killed him.

What do I do about dogs? It is not the first one I've released although I have had no repeat customers.

Doug B.

Today half my trapswere full.

My cam showed 3 local dogs attacking and killing a racoon. Shortly later at a nearby trap on of the dogs (a pit) stuck her foot in it. Him I came across first released him and reset the foothold. Next I came to the tortured racoon and removed him reset and moved along.

A bobcat was in the last trap. Dead and rigor had set in. Only marks were around the mouth where he was biting the chain. Can't figure out what killed him.

What do I do about dogs? It is not the first one I've released although I have had no repeat customers.
Do the dogs have collars on them with owners name and address and maybe phone number? If so then call the owner and tell them what's going on. You are not in the wrong here! If not call animal control and let them deal with it......if they will. Other than that just turn the dogs loose and hope they don't get in your traps again.

Doug B.

Otherwise, be careful on here! Dog threads can turn into a hanging offense. Don't let yourself or any responders go down that rabbit hole! What I posted in reply #3 is your best option.
Good luck in your trapping ventures. Keep it up and you will see a difference in the long run.

Gophfer

Otherwise, be careful on here! Dog threads can turn into a hanging offense. Don't let yourself or any responders go down that rabbit hole! What I posted in reply #3 is your best option.
Good luck in your trapping ventures. Keep it up and you will see a difference in the long run.
There was a collar on her but I wasn't getting closer than my catch pole let .me. I'm hoping a few hours and a sore paw will keep her away. The only canines I want to dispatch are coyotes.

sleepr71

I’d go to any nearby houses & tell them what’s going on,and you are trying to look out for their dogs! IF they care about their dogs..they will correct the problem. It’s not required…but I tell neighbors when I’m about to start trapping. That way,when their dog shows back up at home with 3 toes,or a sore foot…it’s on them;).

Latest posts