New World Record Deer in Ohio

Gator89

Interesting how the highways divide some of the popular counties into 2 and even 3 separate zones. Yikes. Nothing simple in terms of regulations up there. Don’t even bring up the walleye bag limits & regulations on specific lakes in the ceded territory in the upper half of the state.

I had properties I could turkey hunt in zones 1, 3 & 4, but each required a separate tag plus the time period requirements.

Reactions: NWS

Jim Boyd

Never hunted IL, but I resided and hunted in WI.

At the time in WI, want to archery hunt, buy an archery tag. Want to gun hunt, buy a firearms tag.

Also, at one time you could not bow hunt during firearms season, but I think that changed.

I deer hunted in mostly Clark County. Now if I wanted to shoot a doe in Clark County, I had to purchase an additional tag that was good for the zone in which Clark County was in. But I had an acquaintance in Marathon County and he allowed me to hunt also. My doe permit for Clark was not valid in Marathon, so buy another tag.

Turkey season, you put in for a lottery for early season hunts, even if you have access to private property. Landowners get preference, never drew a tag for the first two weeks. So, I would buy leftovers. One tag good for one week, in a designated zone. So, if you have a Marathon county turkey tag, don't go to Clark County to get your turkey. Check to see if you can buy another leftover tag for Clark County.

Now granted I had some excellent turkey hunts in WI, killed three giant birds one year, as you could buy as many $10 leftover tags you wanted until the state's quota for that week was met.

So Southern hunting is simpler, buy your license, hunt with a bow or a firearm, your doe tags are valid statewide.

OBTW, WI expects hunters to wear that stupid "back tag".

Does IL require "back tags" on the hunters?

I guess we take the good with the bad.

I don’t know anything about buck tags on hunters in Illinois.

I know shotgun hunters have to wear orange.

Best of luck, sir.

Gator89

I guess we take the good with the bad.

I don’t know anything about buck tags on hunters in Illinois.

I know shotgun hunters have to wear orange.

Best of luck, sir.

Back tags, pins on the back of outermost garment being worn, shows you have valid hunting license. Kind of like a license plate on a vehicle.

1713484877070.png

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Gator89

Well, looks like Scott Walker got rid of back tags in 2016. I left WI in 2013 before hunting season.

Finally, in 2015 the process began with a group of state representatives pushing to eliminate the need for hunters to wear a back tag. On February 29th, 2016, Governor Walker signed the amended Senate Bill 289 which officially eliminated the requirement to wear a DNR issued back tag while hunting deer, bear, or elk.

Jim Boyd

Last edited: