Newbie question

stickslinger76

I am wanting to get into turkey hunting this coming season. I have seen alot of turkeys this fall while deer hunting. Are they likely to be in the same area in the spring?

That is a good question. I have seen it both ways. Right now in two of my spots no turkeys in one and turkeys in the other. But in the spring both will have birds. In both I believe it is the food source that they depend on in the spring.

davisd9

Fall they are looking for food, water, and roosting.

Spring they are looking for food, water, roosting, place to nest, roosting, and strutting areas.

If an area provides these things year around then they will be there, if not then they will be moving on.

chefrific

Why in the world would you want to start turkey hunting? You will lose friends, all your free time, your money, and last- your sanity.
You've been warned.

All jokes aside, It's all about what they want. Food, water, roosting, nesting, etc.
Even then, you never know. Turkeys have their own agenda for sure. I've seen them all over my place one year and hardly any the next and vice versa. I'm convinced that the birds on our property have cell phones and a secret tunnel system some seasons.

Timber1

BANNED
Big woods birds can usually be found in the same general areas in the spring. Their food sources are pretty constant year after year. Fresh burns will atract them and early spring new growth somewhat. Birds that have access to green fields will move out of the woods in the early spring.
Birds that are fed year round will stay where they are.

M Sharpe

big woods birds can usually be found in the same general areas in the spring. Their food sources are pretty constant year after year. Fresh burns will atract them and early spring new growth somewhat. Birds that have access to green fields will move out of the woods in the early spring.
Birds that are fed year round will stay where they are.

yep