Nitro express #6 shot

willie1971

I've had pretty good luck with these... but after checking out their size, the shot looks almost like field loads. May switch to #5.

Anybody experienced this? Thoughts on #6 being too small?

Also, always pattern out many intervals to 30 yard or so each March.

herb mcclure

nitro # 6 shot

Mr Willie, I have been using # 71/2 shot size on all my past gobbler kills; since 1970, when I purchase an over/under rifle-shotgun, which was a 20ga./ 222caliber. The 20ga. did not pattern the #6's any good at all. Then with 71/2 shot being loaded in 3 inch 20ga shells; I tried them and they pattern much better; because of shot count being greater. Whenever I killed a gobbler with the 20ga. shotgun through the 70's; until the rifle was outlawed to hunt with; they all were killed with the 71/2 loads in 20ga . When I stopped using this shotgun.I went to a 12ga-3 inch and used a federal load of 2-oz's. of 71/2 shot. They are still my turkey shells. Of course Federal stopped loading this load several years ago; but when you have something that you have confidences in and it works; I brought up plenty of them, which I use now. These are copper-plated shot. Bottom line , the # 6's should be fine if the gun patterns them good.
herb mcclure

Last edited:

Will-dawg

I shoot #6s out of my 935. The birds never know what hit them!!!

birddog52

Banned
Killed turkeys with 6ss i know folks shooting 7 shot the main thing is get the bird with in 40 steps i shot 5 shot now because the gun i shot throws a good pattern with them.

nrh0011

I've been shooting number nitro #4's and have killed every bird very efficiently out to 50 yards. I want to play around with different shot size and loads before next season but hard to stray away from what's working.

willie1971

Thanks for the replies. I dropped a bird a few days ago, but shot low, and recovered a lot of shot when fixing supper. The shot looked small but I haven't eaten/seen any since dove season!

Latest posts