No more "Boy Scouts"......

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I don't even know how to respond to this. Having a son who went through a " totally normal"' scout program, earned this eagle rank, and learned a lot that will help him through his adult life.

I guess I'm just shocked and saddened at what our country is becoming!

Geffellz18

Don’t really have an issue with the rebranding itself, personally. But the purpose given as the reason why is what gets the blood boiling a little.
Are the Girl Scouts now going to rebrand for little Johnny that now goes by Joanne’?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
BSA has been referred to as 'Scouts of America' ever since girls were allowed to join. So the change to Scouting America is no biggie but at the meeting last night the scouts were more upset with the name change than the leaders. I am an adviser to a Crew (very similar to Explorers for those of you who rememberer the old days) and like the Explorers Crews can be coed we just have to have a female adult when girls are present. I am telling those not currently involved with Scouting there are some hard charging females both youth and adults. And Raylnder I've never heard anyone offer to teach a scout to sew although it can be a life skill for anyone. What you can't do for yourself is a deficiency IMO.

Girls in Scouting is nothing new. I had girls in my Explorer Post in the 70's.

Last edited:

Shane Dockery

My boy is in cub scouts. He wanted to join because several of his friends from school are in this pack. To me, it's just an additional way to get in the outdoors when not during hunting season. I go with him to every meeting, and outdoor adventure. The things they don't teach anymore, well, that's my responsibility. I really don't care at this age if a little girl wants to join up, and I definitely keep my eye on any of the adults that will be around my kid.

GeorgiaGlockMan

That's a fairly ignorant assumption about something you probably haven't given much effort to learning about. Shame, really. Because it's not like that at all.
I loved being in the boy scouts.

I grew up in a city.

Scouts was a sure fire way to get to do all the outdoor stuff I dreamed about as a kid..pocket knives, campouts, fishing and hunting.

I have been railed on here many times for "admitting" I was a scout.

It's sad really, I feel sorry for those "super tough" guys who boastfully proclaim " they were never in the bsa".

They will admit they "never had time" for bsa because they already got to do the neat stuff. Self awareness problems. Making fun of people for wanting to do stuff they like/liked.

It is completely asinine.

menhadenman

I hope you're not being serious.
My kids all do a lot more in the woods than any boy scout I've met...

I do support the idea of introducing kids that do not have such opportunities and have personally contributed plenty of time and money to that effort.

But any organization that facilitates opportunities for grown men to take advantage of children should be buried. I feel strong enough about that statement to toss the Catholic Church in that discussion as well.

Now they want to go woke, further isolating their original base to appease some fraction of a percent of mentally-ill individuals.

Where there's smoke, there's fire buddy. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion based on what I've seen. And no offense to anyone who choses to participate, it's just not for my family.

Last edited:

menhadenman

I loved being in the boy scouts.

I grew up in a city.

Scouts was a sure fire way to get to do all the outdoor stuff I dreamed about as a kid..pocket knives, campouts, fishing and hunting.

I have been railed on here many times for "admitting" I was a scout.

It's sad really, I feel sorry for those "super tough" guys who boastfully proclaim " they were never in the bsa".

They will admit they "never had time" for bsa because they already got to do the neat stuff. Self awareness problems. Making fun of people for wanting to do stuff they like/liked.

It is completely asinine.
Glad to hear you had a great experience - it's not my intention to offend anyone in that camp (one of my uncles was a troop leader or whatever they call them). But predatory stuff sickens me enough to throw the any sliver of goodness out the window.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
All I know about Boy Scouts is that in my town they were always made up of the well to do, sheltered, pasty white, nerdy boys. Had a liberal slant even four decades back...

There was just nothing to be gained by watching some guy trying to explain how to use a BB gun, cast a Zebco, or pitch a tent when I was already killing deer, fishing with baitcasters, and living most summers and weekends in a log, scrap lumber and palmetto cabin me and my buddies had built on the river bluff and used as our base of operations.

This was just my experience, I'm sure that those "inside kids" enjoyed their meetings and activities every month, an maybe benefitted from it.

Me and my bunch were way too feral...

sinclair1

All I know about Boy Scouts is that in my town they were always made up of the well to do, sheltered, pasty white, nerdy boys. Had a liberal slant even four decades back...

There was just nothing to be gained by watching some guy trying to explain how to use a BB gun, cast a Zebco, or pitch a tent when I was already killing deer, fishing with baitcasters, and living most summers and weekends in a log, scrap lumber and palmetto cabin me and my buddies had built on the river bluff and used as our base of operations.

This was just my experience, I'm sure that those "inside kids" enjoyed their meetings and activities every month, an maybe benefitted from it.

Me and my bunch were way too feral...
Same in the town I grew up. I was squirrel hunting and they were making their first sling shot.
I could have used the knot knowledge as I still tie trainwrecks

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yep. Not for everyone. You were fortunate enough to grow up with outdoor experiences. Keep in mind, Scouts teaches a lot more than the outdoors. It teaches about being good citizens. Most of these scouts and leaders volunteer hundreds of hours of their own time for community service. It's about duty to others and not just self.

Good citizens?

If I wasn't a good citizen, word of it would beat me back to the house, and Mama or Daddy would handle it harshly enough that the lesson was learned.

And as far as service to others goes, that got handled by me being volunteered regularly to help out with whatever work needed doing. Picking maters, cuttin' grass, totin' this and that, cleanin' out gutters, washing cars, paintin' the house, trimmin' hedges, feedin' critters, you name it.

Oh no Gloria, don't you do that, I'll send RR over and he'll do it. Let me know if he gets outta line... :bounce:

I built plenty of character and work ethic.

I could always shoot squirrels in Miss Gloria's pecan trees and fish in her pond, too...