No more "Boy Scouts"......

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm not sayin' you aren't. I'm just saying that many people downplay scouts to only encompassing outdoor skills, similar to what you did. And I'm simply sayin' it's a whole lot more.
Well ok.. I'm glad you ain't sayin' I'm not a good citizen.

And I'm just saying that by the time I was 12 I was already driving Daddy's little Chevy Luv pickup with a chainsaw in the back five miles down the road to saw up a big pecan limb for Miss Gloria, and bring the wood back to the house for my Daddy.

Boy Scouts is probably good for some, but I was always too old for it I guess, and too dang busy.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well ok.. I'm glad you ain't sayin' I'm not a good citizen.

And I'm just saying that by the time I was 12 I was already driving Daddy's little Chevy Luv pickup with a chainsaw in the back five miles down the road to saw up a big pecan limb for Miss Gloria, and bring the wood back to the house for my Daddy.

Boy Scouts is probably good for some, but I was always too old for it I guess, and too dang busy.
Your description is what I’ve seen too. Boys that start sweating as soon as they get out the air conditioning.

slow motion

I was never in Scouts. Both my boys were. From tiger cubs to Eagle Scouts. I've been on many a camp out. Some just over on Lanier. But some were more extreme. 50+ mile Canoe trip in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. Hiked at Philmont in New Mexico, Sangre De Cristo mountains if I remember correctly. My boys enjoyed it. When they first started Boy Scouts I was asked to be troop Caplain, who'd a thought. Totally unqualified but it made me study my Bible more. Did services at all the camp outs and even the larger gatherings, slips my mind what they were called now. When they didn't have a Scoutmaster I did that too. Still did the Sunday service though. Preachers Rock on the AT is a cool place for such and was blessed to be able a couple times there. I don't know about the abuse some suffered. Not sure how the organization is to blame but as said I don't have any knowledge of it. Scouting actually goes back to England. I have an old manual. Talks about, among others, tracking merit badge and what different tracks look like. It has certainly changed but that is as much about society as anything I suspect.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Not for everyone. You were fortunate enough to grow up with outdoor experiences. Keep in mind, Scouts teaches a lot more than the outdoors. It teaches about being good citizens. Most of these scouts and leaders volunteer hundreds of hours of their own time for community service. It's about duty to others and not just self.
Like the last group of them I encountered up in the Shining Rock Wilderness that were throwing rocks into the creek ahead of me while I was trying to fish, and laughing and making smart-aleck comments about it, and their "leader" didn't say anything? They came close to getting a lesson in citizenship, for sure.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I was in scouts for about a year in the 80's. It was boring as all get out. They would try to teach us 'the outdoors'.

Meanwhile, we were already camping, with guns, miles from home or on a river fishing by ourselves in a power boat. Hunting, trapping, frog gigging, etc, etc, etc. We were ten years old.

LTZ25

Scouting is great for girls and boys , just keep the pedofiles away from them . This is not a new problem , I'm 72 and remember those types back when I was young but it was taboo back then , now too many people just look the other way , some even vote for it .

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
All I know about Boy Scouts is that in my town they were always made up of the well to do, sheltered, pasty white, nerdy boys. Had a liberal slant even four decades back...

There was just nothing to be gained by watching some guy trying to explain how to use a BB gun, cast a Zebco, or pitch a tent when I was already killing deer, fishing with baitcasters, and living most summers and weekends in a log, scrap lumber and palmetto cabin me and my buddies had built on the river bluff and used as our base of operations.

This was just my experience, I'm sure that those "inside kids" enjoyed their meetings and activities every month, an maybe benefitted from it.

Me and my bunch were way too feral...
Yep.
I joined then quit, wasn't for me. Me and the kids in the troop didn't get along.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Teach us how to start a fire? By 12, we were daisy chaining quarter sticks and blowing up beaver dams for the farmers.

How many different techniques would you like for me to demonstrate? :)

My Son could start a fire with flint &steel, and maintain said fire when he was not quite 6 years old. Neither of us was ever in Scouting, but I have nothing against the Organization. I've lost count of the number of times I've done demos for them and various others.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
A few years later I joined the Infantry...which is like the Army's version of the Boy Scouts, except with automatic weapons, explosives and no adult supervision. :rofl:

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
How many different techniques would you like for me to demonstrate? :)

My Son could start a fire with flint &steel, and maintain said fire when he was not quite 6 years old. Neither of us was ever in Scouting, but I have nothing against the Organization. I've lost count of the number of times I've done demos for them and various others.
I have often wondered how one of us didn't die. Some of the things we did were borderline just stupid.

I've never had a problem with them until the recent years but it was just never my cup of tea. It was the subdivision kids and dad's running the show. We came from the other side of the river where there were more trailers than houses.

Whitefeather

Management Material
They need better fundraisers. Girl Scout cookies are waaay better than the coupons. Most of which we can’t use because the stores aren’t around here. Cookies are usable everywhere

Whitefeather

Management Material
I'm assuming you're talking about the camp cards? Those are usually city-specific. The scout who sold you that should have explained that. But typically, those cards pay for themselves 4 or 5 times over if you take advantage of the deals.
Definitely a good deal but I’m a sucker for the cookies

slow motion

Like the last group of them I encountered up in the Shining Rock Wilderness that were throwing rocks into the creek ahead of me while I was trying to fish, and laughing and making smart-aleck comments about it, and their "leader" didn't say anything? They came close to getting a lesson in citizenship, for sure.
When i read this immediately thought of the movie Bad Santa where the mall Santa beats up some smart aleck kids. I tried, as I am apt to do, make a joke about yall 2 joining forces. Couldn't find a good pic of Billy Bob Thornton beating up those kids. I tried my Hillbilly brother. Maybe next time. :waggingfinger: ::ke: :rofl: :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming you're talking about the camp cards? Those are usually city-specific. The scout who sold you that should have explained that. But typically, those cards pay for themselves 4 or 5 times over if you take advantage of the deals.
Still not cookies.